The Skarloey Railway 1942-1960: Scaca Fell Forestry Crossing

Tom F

• RMweb Gold
19 hours ago, Tom F said:

A bit of a tricky day. My border collie had me up at 4am vomiting and had been sick while I’d been at work.

She seems ok in herself but it’s understandably distracted me this evening. In the last hour before I head off to bed, I’ve fitted the handrails to the first MoD van.

image.png.16ee518eaea217cf127e5f23c9607282.png

Nice kit Tom, crisp mouldings, who makes it?

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Asterix2012 said:

Nice kit Tom, crisp mouldings, who makes it?

2 hours ago, Gypsy said:

Agreed, looks loads better than the truly shocking Dundas Snailbeach hoppers I stupidly bought last week!

Thanks guys. 

Incidentally, they are Dundas produced as a 009 Society exclusive. 

3 hours ago, johndon said:

The scenery work is on a par with the best I've ever seen but I do have one tiny suggestion, cut the pips off the end of the tie bars on the turnouts which would massively improve their appearance...

Thanks for the kind comments, much appreciated!

I totally agree regarding the lugs. I’ll tell you why I’ve not removed them yet! :lol:

I attempted to remove the Forestry Crossing one a few months back, by cutting it off with a scalpel. I’d forgotten though that as I’ve used foam board, all I did was push the tie bar down until the switch blade came away from the rail….and I completely ruined the point.

So what I plan to do, is remove just the lug top half with sprue cutters, leaving the tie bar intact.

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
33 minutes ago, Tom F said:

Thanks for the kind comments, much appreciated!

I totally agree regarding the lugs. I’ll tell you why I’ve not removed them yet! :lol:

I attempted to remove the Forestry Crossing one a few months back, by cutting it off with a scalpel. I’d forgotten though that as I’ve used foam board, all I did was push the tie bar down until the switch blade came away from the rail….and I completely ruined the point.

So what I plan to do, is remove just the lug top half with sprue cutters, leaving the tie bar intact.

Perhaps slide something harder under the tie bar to support it while you cut? A thin screwdriver if you've got side access, or even just a strip of metal?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

13 hours ago, Tom F said:

Driver Bill Thwaite move's 'RHENEAS' under the aqueduct, while fireman Ben Taylforth does a check on the overflow pipe. He doesn't like the look of that steam leak around the frontend either.

It is 1940, and rumour is rife around the local hostelries, of the War Department's interest in Ward Fell.

image.png.c8eb73a3f01421920640dbe4092eed2c.png

This layout is a story in itself.
I look forward to every post.
Love and Hugs,
Chris.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
38 minutes ago, Tom F said:

Simmering at the exchange sidings, after the 16 mile climb.

image.png.93dcddeffcaad7f4e3ca904521156064.png

Truly stunning as always!

Parking Rheneas there made it look like you had smoke from the chimney, had to zoom in to check if it was true :lol:

So the Diesel, are we talking Rusty?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, THS92-GWR-NO said:

Truly stunning as always!

Parking Rheneas there made it look like you had smoke from the chimney, had to zoom in to check if it was true :lol:

So the Diesel, are we talking Rusty?

Thank you! 

No it’s not Rusty. Rusty arrived around 1956-1958 period.

In unpublished works of Reverend Awdry he discusses that during the war, to help the two old steam locomotives, the Skarloey Railway were loaned two diesel locomotives to help with the increase in traffic (slate, timber and of course the W.D traffic).

For now I’m just depicting one of the diesels, of which I have the body kit, just waiting on the chassis.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Tom F said:

Last for today....

In the Ward Fell exchange sidings, No. 2 'RHENEAS' simmers patiently, waiting for the next load of slate waggons to come down the incline, circa 1943.

image.png.feb97cc6a0c6039afe31274d3d20499a.png

Love this photo Tom. I can feel the Skarloey/Talyllyn railway atmosphere from here. The colour balance and palette of your scenery work, materials and locomotives harmonize really nicely and it really shows in the black and white images as the monochrome tones work well. I am one of those people who would incline to painting everything, grass, trees, ground etc to unify (seen more in armour modelling dioramas and the like) it but seeing this proves to me it's not necessary with good choices of materials, colours etc.

Keep the photos coming please!

Edited by Steph' H
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, Tom F said:

With the loaded slate collected, 'RHENEAS' begins to descent along the mineral extension to 'Skarloey', the passenger railway terminus.

image.png.4b0178f1472f806ea39380ef3a75f14c.png

That’s a stand out image for me Tom. Nothing to give it away that I can see.

Brilliant stuff.

Cheers.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

1 hour ago, AdeMoore said:

That’s a stand out image for me Tom. Nothing to give it away that I can see.

Brilliant stuff.

Cheers.

Thanks Ade

It was a shot I'd not done before, so figured it was worth a try.

The basic body is now together on three of the WD vans. They've gone together really well (and a third of the price of the new Bachmann vans, which aren't out yet).

image.png.6ed76c2fead9ceb3d29fadbfb376223c.png

• Like 19