The Skarloey Railway 1942-1960: Scaca Fell Forestry Crossing

Tom F

9 hours ago, RodneyS said:

Yes, all my Talyllyn and Corris kits have been taken over by Dundas Models.

Rodney

They are a fantastic range Rodney! Which reminds me I should really finish the rest of my kit piling up!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Alister_G said:

I think Bill Thwaite might justifiably be swearing at that daft idiot hanging onto a tree on the embankment, trying to take a photograph...

:ireful:

Al.

Guilty as charged!

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 2

3 hours ago, Middlepeak said:

Tom,

Paid a visit to the Chalk Pits Museum at Amberley today and found this tucked away in the railway exhibition hall. Looks a little familiar!

20211021_142636.jpg.b3a0554579f3aeff74c1cc7e72de9587.jpg

20211021_142720.jpg.fe756c7eac3322759d0a8c6457b136a4.jpg

20211021_142654.jpg.75c8dffe2b37b27dcf919b100b6f7049.jpg

Regards,

Geraint

Many thanks for those Geraint.

Funnily enough I saw one today, at the back of the Welsh Highland Heritage Railway, which we snapped today while travelling on the Galslyn Venturer.

image.png.a844b43e89ca3ce22b48b638c4332347.png

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, Tom F said:

Some Mid Sodor exploration today!

image.png.2c13816dff6be3215f3b60eaa1e70378.png

We ( Rmweb member @Quarryscapes and by my Border Collie Lass) hiked alongside the Ffestiniog to the Dduallt Spiral, then onto the old Ffes track formation down to the Tan y Grisiau Hydroelectric Power Station's Reservoir. A fantastic day, with the odd shower more than made up for by the glorious autumnal sunshine.

A lot of railway modelling inspiration today! :locomotive:

Just look at that backscene...

Cor!

Al.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 2

1 hour ago, Tom F said:

Some Mid Sodor exploration today!

image.png.2c13816dff6be3215f3b60eaa1e70378.png

We ( Rmweb member @Quarryscapes and by my Border Collie Lass) hiked alongside the Ffestiniog to the Dduallt Spiral, then onto the old Ffes track formation down to the Tan y Grisiau Hydroelectric Power Station's Reservoir. A fantastic day, with the odd shower more than made up for by the glorious autumnal sunshine.

A lot of railway modelling inspiration today! :locomotive:

That’s a very atmospheric background there!

I remember seeing a photo of the old cottage at Ddualt in an old Railway Modeller and thinking how lucky the occupants were to live in such beautiful scenery and have a railway on the doorstep; when I eventually rode through there on my first visit to the Ffestiniog, I was disappointed to find it was unoccupied and apparently abandoned (although well presented externally).

• Like 4

Great pictures, like you say, very inspiring. I'm planning a motorcycle trip across North Wales and down to the Talyllin railway next year. I'm getting our bikes ready now (They're 70 and 72 years old respectively) the main thing will be organising stopover points as Miss R doesn't do camping. I'm quietly relieved about that, I've spent too much time living in the open to do it for fun.

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Tom,

I hope you are steadily putting the book of pictures and appropriate text - on facing pages - together ready for the modern audience of Skarloey Railway afficianados.

I do find your posts and the underlying (shorthand?) narrative very appealing. Keep it coming - I am disappointed when you miss a day - even with understandably good reasons.

Regards

Chris H - A supporter.

Edited by Metropolitan H
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Metropolitan H said:

Tom,

I hope you are steadily putting the book of pictures and appropriate text - on facing pages - together ready for the modern audience of Skarloey Railway afficianados.

I do find your posts and the underlying (shorthand?) narrative very appealing. Keep it coming - I am disappointed when you miss a day - even with understandably good reasons.

Regards

Chris H - A supporter.

Much appreciated Chris, thank you!

Well tomorrow is my birthday, so other than doing a little bit of weathering, I plan to do some more posing of the new figures that have arrived freshly painted from @Dan Evason

• Like 8
  • Round of applause 1