The Skarloey Railway 1942-1960: Scaca Fell Forestry Crossing

Tom F

• RMweb Premium
On 19/08/2021 at 13:10, Tom F said:

Thanks for all the kind comments!

Last night, I went over the stems of the seafoam with 'dirty thinners' just to try and darken them that little bit. I think it has worked, and being able to see the trunks through the trees gives that feeling of translucence through the autumnal colours.

239914418_10158666805662984_1834580806817815078_n.jpeg.d4abd6860123f67075783837e4c30222.jpeg

239853372_10158666805792984_970973913158036754_n.jpeg.76e14d9b5b61b8967ac6bededac88fcd.jpeg

This last shot, was really a case of serendipity!

239882509_10158666797772984_2766756054581889894_n.jpeg.3386a3ab76f68d1538d652326e34c511.jpeg

I wanted to see what the view was like down the forestry track. As it happened I had the door open, meaning the foliage from the garden was in the shot too. I tweaked the colours to match the layout....and a lovely little scene came into being.

Absolutely superb.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

As a lifelong fan of the Reverend Awdry I have to say that your interpretation of his work is absolutely stunning. It is a privilege to be able to witness the creation of this beautiful layout. Thank you Tom.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

Evening Tom, only just found your thread and enjoyed reading through it this evening. Simply stunning modelling, difficult to believe this is 4mm scale and not larger. Instantly recognisable from a damp autumnal day on the extension heading for Nant Gwernol.

Will there be any space to include the ‘Road to Adventure’ gate?

Cheers,

Andrew

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Andrew Young said:

Evening Tom, only just found your thread and enjoyed reading through it this evening. Simply stunning modelling, difficult to believe this is 4mm scale and not larger. Instantly recognisable from a damp autumnal day on the extension heading for Nant Gwernol.

Will there be any space to include the ‘Road to Adventure’ gate?

Cheers,

Andrew

I forgot to add, it’s been your photos on Flickr and the FB group I’ve been using for reference regarding autumnal colours on the TR.

They’ve been incredibly useful!

Edited by Tom F
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

7 hours ago, Tom F said:

I forgot to add, it’s been your photos on Flickr and the FB group I’ve been using for reference regarding autumnal colours on the TR.

They’ve been incredibly useful!

Glad to hear they’ve come in handy!

I’ve got a couple of days booked in this October too so will see how autumnal it’s got by then this year. 

Cheers,

Andrew

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Tom

Just found this thread and have to say it is some of the finest modelling I have ever seen. The scenery is just stunning. You clearly have an eye for replicating the real world, both with this layout and your weathering.

It's great that you have found this to be such a tonic. Like you I've struggled with mental health issues and the quiet place of the modelling bench is a great therapy.

Keep up the good work!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

I've just found this via Nhy581s thread, superb modelling. Another  follower. 

Given me loads of ideas. I have just bought some sea foam to model autumnal trees, I now know how to go about it, many thanks. 

Martyn 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

17 minutes ago, mullie said:

I've just found this via Nhy581s thread, superb modelling. Another  follower. 

Given me loads of ideas. I have just bought some sea foam to model autumnal trees, I now know how to go about it, many thanks. 

Martyn 

Thanks Martyn

For autumnal trees it has definitely felt the way to go, however as I'm generally only using the tops of the sea foam, there is quite a lot wastage (I'll have used around two and half boxes worth). However what is left will work well for doing summer trees on the next layout.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 21/08/2021 at 12:30, Tom F said:

On 21/08/2021 at 12:30, Tom F said:

Today's modelling activity, is going to be making a start on the slate fencing (using 15 thou plasticard).

image.png.dc02c180c2b4ecbeb6574cb8d3a9e57e.png

Why not use the real thing?

When I modelled North Wales NG in 4mm. scale, I built considerable lengths of slate fencing using slate shards, split from roofing slate.

When built, slate fencing often had two strands of fencing wire woven between the tops of the slate 'slats', to bind them together and prevent them from leaning over.

I also modelled a sizeable slate waste heap and an adit entrance - but that utilised slate 'liberated' from a real waste heap!

John Isherwood.

Edited by cctransuk
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

7 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

Why not use the real thing?

When I modelled North Wales NG in 4mm. scale, I built considerable lengths of slate fencing using slate shards, split from roofing slate.

When built, slate fencing often had two strands of fencing wire woven between the tops of the slate 'slats', to bind them together and prevent them from leaning over.

I also modelled a sizeable slate waste heap and an adit entrance - but that utilised slate 'liberated' from a real waste heap!

John Isherwood.

I felt it may have been over scale and not looked right.  I am well aware of the interwoven wire, but after looking at the real thing I felt to model the wire would be overscale and to my eye, distracting. Same reason I do not model telegraph wire in 4mm.

I'm glad it worked for you though.

Edited by Tom F
  • Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

1 minute ago, Tom F said:

I felt it may have been over scale and not looked right. 

Slate can be virtually infinitely split along its bedding planes; the limiting factors are the sharpness of the splitting blade; eyesight; and the resistance of the finished shards to accidental damage.

In the latter case, 4mm. scale thickness slate fencing has survived over forty years of existence; and the layout is now in the hands of a young, pre-teen enthusiast!

John Isherwood.

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

8 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

Slate can be virtually infinitely split along its bedding planes; the limiting factors are the sharpness of the splitting blade; eyesight; and the resistance of the finished shards to accidental damage.

In the latter case, 4mm. scale thickness slate fencing has survived over forty years of existence; and the layout is now in the hands of a young, pre-teen enthusiast!

John Isherwood.

Well I'm happy with the plasticard slates I've made. 

Good to know the 4mm thickness wire has stayed for your pre-teen enthusiast! I looked closely at the real thing, but felt anything in 4mm would be over scale other than using something like human hair.

The lack of wire doesn't spoil the scene for me.

Each to their own John.

1892464432_Screenshot2021-08-24at22_20_35.png

Edited by Tom F
  • Like 13
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 2

14 hours ago, Tom F said:

I felt it may have been over scale and not looked right.  I am well aware of the interwoven wire, but after looking at the real thing I felt to model the wire would be overscale and to my eye, distracting. Same reason I do not model telegraph wire in 4mm.

Tom,

You seem to have interpreted my post as being in some way critical; nothing could be further from my mind. Your reproduction of the natural landscape is, in my opinion, unsurpassed.

I mentioned the use of real slate as other modellers - especially those modelling in the larger scales - might wish to try using it.

No - I did not represent the binding wire at 4mm. scale; totally impracticable IMHO. Again, the comment was for the benefit of those working in the larger scales.

John Isherwood.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, Tom F said:

'Four years ago, Bernard Foster moved away to a lovely cottage with his wife in the central district of Sodor. It was a lovely cottage, nestled in a hamlet of similar cottages overlooking Skarloey Lake. Bernard and Maureen befriended a retired parson called Wilbert and his wife Margaret who lived nearby. Although not a railway enthusiast, he did like his morning walks to involve a short wander by the line side of the Skarloey Railway, where Bernard would always enjoy a natter with the crew. He always did like the 'little engines' on our adventures together.'

Miss you everyday Dad x

Bernard Foster 25/09/1939-25/08/2017

image.png.1a44aef34429fa8177279a4fd25cc091.png

Beautifully depicted. 

Well done, Tom. 

Rob. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 7