Laggan Bridge - The Far North and more!

Dunmar

Hi,

With the impending departure of  Glenfinnan fast approaching and in my efforts to avoid severe withdrawal  effects I have finally decided that this will be the planned project.

Having  had to ditch Helmsdale  due to space restraints and wanting to build Wick, but being put off with the lack of facilities for my chosen era, I decided on a compromise.

Laggan Bridge will be a fictitious  location, although the Laggan I had in mind is taken from the place just south of Invergarry. Only in my case I have moved it some several dozen or so miles north of Inverness. 

As can be seen from the plan I intend to use the available space to include a small loco servicing area and fuel depot  along with a timber loading and holding area. I also intend to construct my own version of  the station  building at Wick and a diesel servicing shed typical of the type found in the area. Whilst my MSE signals never made it to Glenfinnnan I have every intention of ensuring that they do make an appearance on this layout. 

Bill.

Laggan Bridge Track Plan.jpg

• Like 11

Hi ,

As I will be using my 70's / 80's existing stock with a few more additions , I had been looking at the Scalescenes  offerings and wondered how they would fit in with my era. I'm leaning more towards the older  of the two buildings. I had thought of building my own from foam board and mounting board and covering with Scalemodelscenery textured papers, , but wondered what folks thought of Scalescenes buildings in general.

Bill.

Scalescenes MPD.JPG

I had a go at building the Scalescenes modern diesel depot. Never actually finished it, more down to circumstances rather than a reflection on the kit, but some observations...

The concrete "ribbing" can be rather time consuming, you have to cut a "comb" of card and it can be a bit fiddly to make it even. The discontinued older version of the depot was worse as it have even more of the stuff.

I seem to remember having issues with the roof - being slightly out of line when scoring the centre line meant it was a bit of an effort to get it to look right again. I think the designer does try to allow for some inaccuracy with cutting, but in my case not enough!

I had a go building an alternative out of Wills bits following a similar design; not sure which was easier or more effective. One thing that I was a bit miffed to find was that the OHP film I printed the windows on has turned a little opaque with a blue hue. Of course, other manufacturers / products may vary.

On the whole it was a nice looking kit - I think the Scalescenes brickwork looks a lot better than some of the other printable kits out there. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MartynJPearson said:

I had a go at building the Scalescenes modern diesel depot. Never actually finished it, more down to circumstances rather than a reflection on the kit, but some observations...

The concrete "ribbing" can be rather time consuming, you have to cut a "comb" of card and it can be a bit fiddly to make it even. The discontinued older version of the depot was worse as it have even more of the stuff.

I seem to remember having issues with the roof - being slightly out of line when scoring the centre line meant it was a bit of an effort to get it to look right again. I think the designer does try to allow for some inaccuracy with cutting, but in my case not enough!

I had a go building an alternative out of Wills bits following a similar design; not sure which was easier or more effective. One thing that I was a bit miffed to find was that the OHP film I printed the windows on has turned a little opaque with a blue hue. Of course, other manufacturers / products may vary.

On the whole it was a nice looking kit - I think the Scalescenes brickwork looks a lot better than some of the other printable kits out there. 

I take it Martyn you're referring to the modern version? I don't mind a challenge, as I normally scratchbuild. But, I did think I could use one of them as a basis for a depot shed. Will give it some thought. Thanks. 

Bill. 

10 hours ago, Dunmar said:

I take it Martyn you're referring to the modern version? I don't mind a challenge, as I normally scratchbuild. But, I did think I could use one of them as a basis for a depot shed. Will give it some thought. Thanks. 

Bill. 

Yes, the modern one, R023a. The discontinued one I referred to was the original R023, looks like you can't download that one any more.

• Like 1

Hi, 

Today I said my goodbyes to Glenfinnan! I can now crack on with the next project. Over the next few weeks I will be busy laying cork sheet, track, and wiring and fitting points and point motors. Oh! the joys!!! I will wait until I have something to show before I post again, so I may be some time. Meantime I have prepared the boards and a couple of rolls of cork sheet with primer for starters! 

Bill. 

DSC_0586.JPG

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi, 

Yes its me! Well I did say it would be some time before things would start to happen. Finally got some track down. You can see by the photo, which is an overall view of the two scenic boards which are 10ft x 20ins. I decided I would use my existing stock of C+L code 75 track and Peco code 75 points. 

DSC_0621.JPG

• Like 3

The next photo shows where I intend to build the station building similar to that which exists at Wick. Provision will also be made for a timber loading yard next to the station. 

DSC_0622.JPG

• Like 2

This photo shows the approaches to the station which from under a large stone road bridge and the track will be dwarfed by large stone walling stretching towards the platform for some distance and a working signal box and semiphores to boot. That's the plan anyway! 

DSC_0623.JPG

• Like 5

Hi, 

This board contains the approaches to the station via the curved point and just below that two spurs, one for a small maintenance depot and the other for a refuelling point. Both will be scratchbuilt. If I can load the photos right I will show the bus wire going in. 

Bill. 

DSC_0625.JPG

• Like 1

Hi, 

No! didnt get it right so here is the first of the bus wires going in. And oh! I'm looking to do less soldering, it's not that I'm not good at it. It's just that it's a pain in the *!!? 

Bill. 

DSC_0626.JPG

• Like 2

Hi, 

Finally got round to getting power flowing into scenic board one. DCC bus in and droppers soldered and tested, all working. Next will be scenic board two and then eight Tortoise point motors. Will also shortly embarking on a mock up of the station building which will be based loosely on that which exists at Wick. 

DSC_0628.JPG

Just now, Dunmar said:

Hi, 

Finally got round to getting power flowing into scenic board one. DCC bus in and droppers soldered and tested, all working. Next will be scenic board two and then eight Tortoise point motors. Will also shortly embarking on a mock up of the station building which will be based loosely on that which exists at Wick. 

DSC_0628.JPG

DSC_0629.JPG

Hi, 

Been some time since I posted pics here and seem to be having bother posting more than one in my post. Can someone point me in the right direction. Has something changed, can't believe I've forgotten!!! 

Bill. 

Interesting layout if you want well modled buildings from Scotland have a look at Pop Up Models online the cottages are brilliant and station buildings signal boxes all the real well designed kits .Youwill be able to run some interesting services and I look forward to seeing developments.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I have Photoshopped some images from Streetview and will re-scale them to suit. The station building will be similar to that which exists at Wick and I have been collecting materials to enable me to scratchbuild something similar. I hope to start ballasting shortly as I need to get the point motors fitted soon. 

Bill. 

DSC_0638.JPG

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, 

Slightly more progress on the layout by way of some airbrushing to the track. Some early weathering has been applied prior to ballasting. I shall be carrying out a fair bit of experimenting with the weathering in due course. I also want to use as little ballast as possible so that it appears to have been down a long time. A planned trip to a nice little cottage in Dornoch for a few days next week will enable me to get to Wick to get some pictures and measurements. That's more progress. 

Bill. 

DSC_0646.JPG

DSC_0643.JPG

DSC_0642.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, 

With all the ballast now completed, I can now get on with the job of getting it and the track to look right. As with my previous layouts I tend to look at it the way I see it, rather than how it should look. In particular that part of the track which suffers from oil and diesel spillage which I haven't been able to master, but which I am determined to achieve this time. I started by spraying the whole of the track with Humbrol 29 Dark Earth from an aerosol rather than using the airbrush as its much quicker. This was followed by a wash of Sleeper Grime. When dry, a further wash of a mix of Track Colour and Sleeper Grime. A wash of Matt Black was used on the line with diesel spillage. Once I am satisfied with the tone of the colour, I will then proceed to dry brush the track to highlight the detail. 

Bill. 

DSC_0653.JPG

DSC_0654.JPG

DSC_0652.JPG

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

• 3 months later...

Hi,

Been working behind the scenes, mostly in the wife's dining room. Too damn cold in the loft. Been working on the laptop trying to get to grips with the main station building which is proving more of a problem that I first envisaged. I know what I want but it isn't out there. But I'm determined and won't give up. My main problem is what to use as a final finishing on top of the foam board and mounting board, textured Papers or embossed plasticard. Each brings it's own problems. I had thought by way of a change to use textured papers but not having used them  as I was never convinced by thier appearance. But hey, I'll get there.

Bill.

IMG_20220110_162743_475.jpg

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

Still not really got back into the guts of this new project yet. Hoping my trip to ModelRail and a couple of days on Ian McCreadie's  superb Blair Atholl layout will fire me up. Meantime, work has started on the construction of the main station building which will be based on Wick. I decided to use Scalescenes printed papers over mounting card, further supported by foam board. I am using Photoshop to scale down original photos of the real station building as I did with Glenfinnan. The larger section is the main wall on the car park side and the smaller section with the square windows is the height the roof slopes down to on that side. What with the interior, it has given me a few headaches I can tell you. But, hey! ho!

IMG_20220205_150038_796~2.jpg

• Like 3