Class 121/122 Bachmann V Dapol

On 09/05/2021 at 14:18, Mike Buckner said:

The Dapol Class 121 models have unreliable pickups. Unless fixed, they exhibit hesitations, lights flickering, and occasional stalls.  I bought two of them new - one was so bad I sent it back immediately for a replacement. The longterm solution is to fit additional pickups - or fit a Stay-Alive.

The Dapol Class 121 models also whine.

A Dapol Class 73 I bought new, derailed quite a bit, on a layout where there were no problems for my other 70 locos. I sent it back and refused a replacement.

I shan't be buying any more Dapol products.

All my Bachmann locos run without problems.

A bit late to this thread, but I wanted to pick your brains Mike as I am experiencing some of these problems myself.  I am on my first layout and have never fitted DCC before.  I have had some running troubles with my 121, which was the first model I bought (I was raised in Greenford in the late eighties so it made sense!).  I have only realised through reading this that what I thought was my shoddy trackwork was probably pickup issues on the model.  Unfortunately my 24 month warranty (which is actually 12 months) expired three weeks ago, so I'm going to have to do something about it myself.  Fitting a stay-alive is an interesting proposition, but I have an Dapol decoder as suggested and, since information on this particular model is scanty at best, could you give me any tips as to changing the pickups?  I don't know how many there are, what sort they are, and it's a difficult model to see much of what's going on (although not helped by my lack of experience).

Many thanks if you take the time out to reply to this; if not, no worries.

Adam

Attach phosphor bronze strips to rub gently against the wheel backs. Some people use brass wire, some arrange for the wire to rub on the wheel treads. Connect up to the existing circuit in the model. There are numerous threads on this and other internet sites, with descriptions and pictures of how to do it. For example:

Edited by Mike Buckner
added a link
  • Thanks 1

On 13/10/2021 at 20:28, Mike Buckner said:

Attach phosphor bronze strips to rub gently against the wheel backs. Some people use brass wire, some arrange for the wire to rub on the wheel treads. Connect up to the existing circuit in the model. There are numerous threads on this and other internet sites, with descriptions and pictures of how to do it. For example:

Really appreciate this Mike, many thanks indeed.

Adam