Embo

I had started documenting my build of a diorama of Embo in the Scratchbuilding thread. My first intention had been just to build a typical Dornoch train which is why I started the thread there. Like most of my projects it has grown arms and legs since i decided to make a diorama to put the train on. I think this is likely a more appropriate place to record the build of Embo. I will leave the train build on the other thread.

Embo was an intermediate station on the Dornoch branch. It is the closest station to where I now live. It is a very simple affair. A single line and a short platform with a level crossing at one end and a single wooden station building.

The chosen gauge is Gauge 3 and the whole thing is built on an old door 60cm x 180cm.

Attached are some prototype pictures taken after closure.

20210408_121726.jpg

20210411_174623.jpg

20210411_174604.jpg

• Like 3

In this scale you can incorporate a lot of detail. The track comes with some plastic rail joiners which incorporate some fishplate details. I cut one of them up to produce two separate fishplates and applied them to the rail.

20210510_104248.jpg

20210510_103642.jpg

• Like 8

Hello - as I promised on your "Dornoch Train" thread, I've dug out my late father's Dornoch railway pics.  Relevant to here, this shows Embo, and I'm confident it was taken in July 1959, and gives a good view of the level crossing gates.  Some points to note...  the platform was the more modern brick-built one by then, the ballast looks like ash rather than stone, the flangeway in the level crossing is formed by timbers rather than check-rails, and the sleepers at the rail-joint are closer together to give support - the PW Manual gives a dimension of 12" from the joint to the centres of the joint sleepers.

HTH...!

Alasdair

Embo Station July 1959 © IBCT-AJCT.jpg

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, AJCT said:

Hello - as I promised on your "Dornoch Train" thread, I've dug out my late father's Dornoch railway pics.  Relevant to here, this shows Embo, and I'm confident it was taken in July 1959, and gives a good view of the level crossing gates.  Some points to note...  the platform was the more modern brick-built one by then, the ballast looks like ash rather than stone, the flangeway in the level crossing is formed by timbers rather than check-rails, and the sleepers at the rail-joint are closer together to give support - the PW Manual gives a dimension of 12" from the joint to the centres of the joint sleepers.

HTH...!

Alasdair

Embo Station July 1959 © IBCT-AJCT.jpg

That is a perfect photo thanks especially given what I have been doing today, making the crossing  gates. Thanks very much

Cheers

David

20210511_164829.jpg

20210511_165059.jpg

• Like 6

Looking at the photo I will have  to make an adjustment or two! I had assumed the diagonals on the gate would be a symmetrical, I was working from a picture of another gate at Cambusavie which I could only see half of! Nothing that can't be undone. The sleepers between the rails can be accommodated too since that bit is not fixed down yet. The picture is really good, full of all sorts of details. I note the posts on which the gates are hinged are set at an angle which makes sense.

Cheers

David

You're welcome.  I hadn't noticed the angled hinge-posts... learn something new every day.

I'll get on and scan the other pics for your "Dornoch Train" thread.

Cheers -

Alasdair

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Awesome build there David and I like the polar opposites in different scales.  I look forward to seeing the finished article.  Is it just a diorama or are you planning to use it as part of a layout?

What scale is G3 David? I built an American narrow gauge layout about fifteen years ago in 1/20.3 scale, and a French narrow gauge which used 45mm gauge track and I think was the same scale as G3. The buildings were huge, they all had to be packed separately and took up a lot of room in the van but it was worth it for the chance to model the fully detailed interiors. I must admit I'd struggle loading it and unloading it these days though. We used Preiser figures  and some LGB loco's so I suppose it must have been G Scale.

Peter

It is pretty much the same scale as G Gauge. The scale is 1/22.5 (13.5mm to 1 foot). I think that is the same as LGB use for their metre gauge prototypes on 45mm track. The track gauge of Gauge 3 is 63.5mm.

I plan to use a couple of 1.24 kits on the diorama, one of  BR Bedford O series flatbed truck and one of a grey Fergie tractor. Preiser figures will work too I think.

Cheers

David