Embo

Hi David,

I thought I'd return the favour with a couple of my own drawings from years past!

2121137139_highlandloco-Copy(2).jpg.e415a0e5d4fe659f70d32ab1b57ff0c4.jpg

2082631802_gingerbread5(2).jpg.77c11bf1c8edc3732eccc930754d0e97.jpg

The Highland Railway loco was drawn way back when, and the cafe was one of my first attempts at pointillism, about 6 years ago, and yes, the left hand end is that abrupt!

Last  night I remembered that I had done a plan of Oban last year so I searched it out.  It needs doing again but I think the passenger station and harbour tracks can be fitted into a room 10' x 8' without too much compression, although, as always, more space would be useful!  Something to think about when house-hunting, hopefully in Oban next year!  I think a silhouette cutter would be useful when making the station building!

The locomotive drawing cd arrived from the Caledonian Railway Association arrived today but I haven't had a chance to look at it yet.  Something to look forwards to tomorrow, unless I start drawing!

Regards

Roja

• Agree 1

On 28/08/2021 at 16:08, David Bell said:

I have completed the last piece of coffee stirrer fence and the gate for the station yard

20210828_160552.jpg

Hello David,

I know you said above you used various weathering powders on the fence but I would be grateful if you might go into a little more detail about the process as I need to weather the snow fences on my Forsinard layout and your results are very impressive and exactly what I would like to achieve

Thanks in advance

Nigel (Class 26)

• Thanks 1

Hi Nigel,

I will split this into two posts to accommodate the pictures

These are the powders I used on the fence. There is a grey, a black, a brown and a white, in Humbrol's range respectively called Smoke, Black, Dark Earth and White.

First I do the bottom of each upright with the dark earth, varying the height I apply on each upright,(first photo).

Then I do the tops of the uprights with the grey. (second photo) Note I have left a gap between the two colours on a couple. This is where the white goes. You won't see it if applied over the darker colours.

20210830_104814.jpg

20210830_105328.jpg

20210830_105607.jpg

Then i apply the black to the very bottom of the uprights,third photo.

Finally a sparing dab of the white in the light areas ,fourth photo

It is pretty messy so best to do off the layout. I did it on the layout so ended up with a lot of residue powder below the fence, which can be removed with a hoover.

The powder adheres pretty well to the wood. If your fences are smooth plastic I would give them a very light sand before applying the powders.

When all done you can seal with Matt varnish

Hope that helps!

Cheers

David

20210830_105805.jpg

20210830_110035.jpg

Now the scenic work is approaching something close to completion my thoughts have turned to the station building and I have made a bit of a find! 1.24 scale is commonly used in dolls houses and you can buy all manner of stuff for them including panel doors and windows. Brilliant!

20210830_114212.jpg

• Like 2

19 hours ago, David Bell said:

Hi Nigel,

Hopefully you end up with something like this. You can see all the surplus powder below the fence.

I have still to do the back of the fence yet

20210830_113035.jpg

Hi David,

Thank you so much for all of this, it is incredibly helpful and very clear. As soon as I get the powders i`ll crack on with my snow fences

Thanks again

Nigel 

The station building has two poster boards and a clock. I have made the boards from plastic and the clock was fashioned from a bottle top. The posters and clockface were downloaded from the internet and printed on plain paper then sprayed with Plastikote clear sealer. 

20210901_081622.jpg

• Like 5