MJT/Replica 4Cig

Hi All,

One of my slow burning projects is this 4Cig. Based on MJT sides and ends on a Replica base. It has a new Hornby 73 power bogie which with a little extra weight will power the set. I have chopped the 73 chassis and fitted the motor mount into a Replica coach chassis. So far the conversion has gone smoothly if slowly.

post-7006-127592015493.jpg

Class 73 chassis chopped.

post-7006-127592023124.jpg

Replica coach chassis ready for Hornby motor mount.

post-7006-127592030757.jpg

Motor mount fitted to coach chassis

post-7006-127592040419.jpg

Donor coach one side fitted ready for the next.

post-7006-127592119829.jpg

Finished pending detailing and painting.

The unit will be finished with my usual mix of detailing parts from MJT and Southern Pride. I might finish it in Green with wrap round yellow ends as 7303. Hope you like it.

Cheers for now, Ian

• RMweb Premium

Hi Ian, I'll be interested to see how this turns out. My own attempt at a CIG has stalled - I was going to try a black beetle on the leading driving trailer, but clearance for my trainset curves (18" radius) seems iffy and the 12mm-wheeled beetles seem a bit slow. To say nothing of how to build the body as one piece, with lighting to match Mr Bachmann's finest, and the chassis as a separate piece. So, I wait to see what you will do.

I got as far as looking at an ED chassis, but the number of incredibly thin wires, plus the need to extend some of them to get pickup, scared me to death. And that's before noting that I really would prefer Mk4 motor bogies ;-) What will you be doing about couplings ?

ĸen

Hi 5 BEL,

This is looking very good! I am very impressed by the look of your 4CIG motor coach (does the IG 'internal guard' or the Brighton shed code we ask?!).

The new Hornby 73 motor bogie is a great improvement on the old Lima one. I have a 73 with the new motor, fitted with Ultrascale wheels. The wheels as supplied by Hornby did't run on my SMP code 75 track.

I'll be interested to see how you tackle adding door hinges to those etched sides.

More photos please!

Colin

Hi All,

Thanks for the comments. I should have realised that 7303 had Mk4 power bogies. I just saw a picture of the driving end in a book and thought it would be different. Oh well. Ken if you want the Mk4 bogies, how about a Hornby 25 motor bogie. Use it with the Southern Pride motor mount and MJT Mk4 castings and you have quite a powerful combination. I am going to do the hinges with MJT brass ones. A bit tedious, but as it is quite a slow build it won't be that bad. I don't know of any castings for the electrical boxes on the ends, so it will have to be scratchbuilt.

Cheers for now, Ian

• 6 months later...

Hi All,

Here is a quick update on the progress of the 4Cig. It has made it's way to the top of the worklist along with a Replica MLV and a DC Kits class 71. It uses Replica Mk1 bodies as a basis, with Cooper Craft chassis for the trailer coaches. The motor coach has a Hornby 73 bogie spliced into a Replica chassis.

post-7006-069564800 1292697088_thumb.jpg

post-7006-015482300 1292697145_thumb.jpg

post-7006-079855300 1292697238_thumb.jpg

I have most of the bits to finish it, so now it shouldn't take too long! It will be finished in Blue/Grey.

Cheers for now, Ian.

Ian,

Thanks for showing us the photos of the 4 CIG's progress so far. I had forgotten about this topic! The model certainly looks good and the sides have gone onto the donor coach very well.

Looking forward to seeing more of this unit - a true Brighton type!

Colin

• 3 months later...

Hi All,

After what seems like an eternity, I have managed to get the 4Cig ready for the painters. I have an interior kit from Southern Pride to do and also their parts for converting the bogies into B4(S) versions. The hinges are Comet T door handles which makes the whole excersise of doing this a lot easier. Here are some pics.

post-7006-0-69965100-1301928417_thumb.jpg

post-7006-0-32025900-1301928459_thumb.jpg

Hornby dummy motor bogie.

post-7006-0-30425200-1301928485_thumb.jpg

Hornby powered bogie. Southern Pride bogie sideframe. Rewheeled with Ultrascales.

post-7006-0-91324000-1301928514_thumb.jpg

post-7006-0-91402400-1301928543_thumb.jpg

Hopefully I will get some paint on to it this week, blue/grey. I still need to contact Dart Castings and get some curtains. Comments welcome as always.

Cheers for now, Ian.

Hello 5Bel / all,

nice looking build.

But one thing to remember with any coach that has any sort of "curve" to the side is that all the hinge pins must be in line vertically in both side view and front view.

eg. the top hinge pin 1 1/2" from the body side, middle hinge pin 1" from the body side and the bottom hinge pin 3" from the body side. I'm not saying these sizes are correct but just used as an example. You have to have the hinge pins in line or the door cannot open.

Just a small point on a very nice build. Please don't take offence, as all I'm trying to do is to make (or help to make) a nice job better.

OzzyO.

PS. a quick sketch to try and show what I mean.

post-8920-0-26707300-1302003427_thumb.jpg

Hi All.

Thanks for the comments. Ozzyo, no offence taken, thanks for the advice on the hinges. If I were doing the 4Cig in 7mm I would make sure the hinges are as you say, but in 4mm there isn't that much differnce. I just wished I had starting using this method for the hinges before I did my Epb's!

Cheers for now, Ian.

Hi 5Bel,

I'm full inspiration to get going on a 4 CIG now I have seen yours coming along so well.

It looks very neatly done, dare I say I like your idea about using door handles as hinges on brass sides. Even the great David Jenkinson only used strips of, in his case, plasticard inserted in a round hole to represent door hinges on his 7mm coaches. If you were to file down the middle hinges, I suppose you might get close to the effect that ozzyo describes. On a Mk 1 coach side though, the curve is so gentle as not to matter too much about the hinges not being different heights.

All the best and look forward to seeing it painted!

Colin

Looking at the picture of the Hornby motor bogie and the southern pride bogie casting, what`s the difference? I cannot see any difference between the two in the pictures. So, is it worth while actually changing them? I know there may be differences in real life, but we are only interested in visual differences.

Cheesysmith.

Hi All,

Thanks for the comments. Colin, How are you making your version? Cheesysmith, the only difference between the bogie sideframes, is that the Hornby has shoe gear moulded on which I have removed it for the 4Cig. I have used the Southern Pride version only for the extra weight, to help with the pulling power. Hopefully it will be in the painters this weekend.

Cheers for now, Ian.

Hi Ian,

In reply to how I am going to make my 4 CIG, it will involve a Hornby 4 VEP, some custom etched sides (not MJT) and a sharp saw!

As to how I paint it blue/grey, I'm not sure. So I would be interested to know how you go about painting your 4 CIG - especially the white lining on the sides.

All the best,

Colin

• 4 months later...

Hi All,

With the cricket season drawing to a close, I have had a bit of time for catching up on projects. The Cig is now painted and after a nightmare with the bowpen I have decided to use Fox white lining for the model. Really easy to apply and looks the part.

post-7006-0-17184300-1313595786.jpg

post-7006-0-75773500-1313595815.jpg

The light is not the best, but you can see the results. The slight carrier film will disappear under a coat of varnish. A note to Mr Parks, when you get round to doing your Cig, I can recommend this method as the least stressful! Just another 7 sides to do!!

Cheers for now, Ian.

This is coming along nicely Ian. You'll no doubt finish it just in time for the r-t-r version to be announced!

Hi Trevor,

Thanks for the comment. An r-t-r version would be about par for the course, having made a Vep, Cep, 2Epb, MLV and a 2H. Still I can't see anyone doing a Tadpole!

Cheers for now, Ian.

Hi Ian,

It's "Mr" Parks here!

The 4 CIg looks very neatly painted. Do you know, I was thinking about the matter of 'lining out' my prospective 4 CIG in blue/grey livery just the other day (not that it is even started). Dare I ask what the lining-out nightmare was?

It's a pity that the carrier film cannot be removed with Fox transfers. I believe that their film is under rather than over the transfer.

All the best,

Colin

Hi Colin,

The paint in my bowpen would not flow properly. I tried it both neat and thinned Humbrol but to no avail. It is the first time I have had any problems with it. I think though from now on I will use the Fox transfers for blue/grey models, as I think they are quite neat. I will be using Replica rub ons for the numbering and Fox for the remainder of the transfers. I may even get it back on it's chassis next week!

Cheers for now, Ian

IG was the railway telegraphic code for Brighton. Hence

BIG-Buffet Brighton

CIG-Corridor Brighton

so I've been told.

But then there are those who say IG stands for 'Internal Guard', roythebus.

Perhaps there is someone out there who knows the truth. (Apologies for hijacking the topic Ian!).

Colin

Perhaps there is someone out there who knows the truth. (Apologies for hijacking the topic Ian!).

Colin

IG was (and may be still is) the telegraph code for Brighton; it dates from LBSC days.

Regards

PS a nice model.

Colin

No apology needed, would be good to sort this out once and for all! I always thought IG stood for Brighton. If you think about it where would the guard go but internally and then surely IG would apply to all Southern units.

Cheers for now, Ian

Archived