Where to get wheel (back-to-back) gauges?

I'm starting kit building in SM-32. Where can I buy a wheel/axle gauge for this scale (to set back-to-back distance of 28mm), please?

I've found one or two for OO or N. Does O (7mm/ft) share the same standard; so would that be an option?

Or are they known by a different name?

Thanks!

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, dasatcopthorne said:

I don't normally bother to do this for people but just to show what can be achieved:

Google '00 Gauge back to back tool'.

Quite a few results.

That works for 00 but not for SM-32.

• RMweb Premium

28mm is the back to back for coarse scale O gauge but 29mm is the one used in more modern finescale standards.

A search on google didn't throw up any obvious sources.

I have been known to make my own back to back gauges from either a sheet of metal or plasticard. It isn't too difficult to cut a strip fairly accurately 28mm wide. In coarse scale, if it is a thou or two off, it won't matter. 

• Agree 1

https://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/hjonesengineering

The above on E-bay seems to list a back-to-back gauge for SM-45 and track gauges for both SM-32 and SM-45, so I suppose you could contact him and ask if he produces a back-to-back gauge for SM-32.  They look as though they are machined in plastic, so I've no idea how good they are.

I couldn't see anything else on a quick google.

8 minutes ago, Dungrange said:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/hjonesengineering

The above on E-bay seems to list a back-to-back gauge for SM-45 and track gauges for both SM-32 and SM-45, so I suppose you could contact him and ask if he produces a back-to-back gauge for SM-32.  They look as though they are machined in plastic, so I've no idea how good they are.

I couldn't see anything else on a quick google.

Yep, I have done so. Will post on here for future reference if he comes up trump's.

1 hour ago, Barry O said:

Buy some Verniers.. better than any back to back gauge!

Baz

Verniers are useful if you want to measure different things but if you want to set loads of b2b's, a nice solid gauge is better.

With a solid block, you can squeeze the wheels together against it, which is quick & easy. It is ideal for checking a new pack of wheels before you fit them.

With Verniers, you need to measure, adjust, measure again & usually repeat this more than once.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Just make sure the b2b gauge is correct first.. a few are not quite what they should be.. especially is your wheels are "fine"

which is why the Verniers are handy as you can use them for several gauges, etc

Baz

53 minutes ago, Barry O said:

Just make sure the b2b gauge is correct first.. a few are not quite what they should be.. especially is your wheels are "fine"

which is why the Verniers are handy as you can use them for several gauges, etc

Baz

And you can ,of course, preset the vernier and lock it to the correct size, what ever that may be.

• Agree 2

In SM-32, its safe/sufficient to set the wheels to the turnouts, assuming you have a turnout to hand, likewise in SM-45.

I've made far too many SM-45 wagons, some using wheel-sets where the btb is pre-set by a shouldered axle, some where the wheels are simply an interference fit on a plain axle, and not once have I used a btb gauge, or even measured anything - a fact that I hadn't realised until thinking about it now.

In fact, because the profile of wheels sold for SM-32/45 varies so much (despite the existence of a standard), some having much thinner flanges than others, a btb gauge might not be as useful as you might expect.

As a further warning, some of the wheels, particularly plastic/resin ones that come with some resin kits, are pure and unadulterated rubbish, in that they have a profile that almost guarantees derailments - all nasty right-angles, no proper tapers or radii. If you are buying rather than making, I would strongly recommend metal, or at least metal-tyred, wheels from makers with a long and good reputation.

• Agree 1