Books for BR Standard Series as good as the LMS Locomotive Profiles books?

Guest WM183

Guest WM183

Hi folks.

I like both LMS and the later BR standard locomotives, and will shortly be building a Jinty and a Fowler 4P tank, thanks to the wonderful diagrams contained in the "LMS Locomotive Profiles" books. However, my only book to date on BR standards is one of the RCTS "Detailed History of British Railways Standard Steam Locomotives" books, the third volume about the tank classes. This book, while nice, doesn't have any good diagrams; a simple line drawing and that's it. Does anyone know if "A Pictorial Record of British Railways Standard Steam" has better drawings? The GWR locomotive book of the same series has a load of nice drawings in it, many with dimensions already given in 7mm/foot! Are there other BR standard works that have drawings good enough to aid a model builder?

All the best,

Amanda

The Drawings in the A Pictorial Record... are the same as in the RCTS volumes, simple weight diagrams, but presented in larger size. For actual drawings,   I think that for most classes, if not all of them, have been published in various magazines over the years. Given a bit of time I can list some, if required.

Guest WM183

Hi Sabato,

In the GWR Pictorial Record, there are usually some measurements given in 4mm and 7mm scale, at least. Do you know if the BR one is similar? And, I would be VERY grateful if you could let me know what magazines and issues drawings could be found in, particularly for the class 4 moguls and tanks!

All the best,

Amanda

• RMweb Premium
On 10/05/2021 at 18:03, WM183 said:

"LMS Locomotive Profiles" books.

Are there other BR standard works that have drawings good enough to aid a model builder?

The LMS Locomotive Profiles series stands head and shoulders above anything else that has been published, as far as I'm aware. Is there any series on any other company's locomotives that makes such extensive use of official drawings, coupled with such a thorough description of the engineering details as well as the history of each class.

Do any of the articles in the very useful list @PenrithBeacon linked to include anything beyond modellers' drawings?

Guest WM183
1 hour ago, Compound2632 said:

The LMS Locomotive Profiles series stands head and shoulders above anything else that has been published, as far as I'm aware. Is there any series on any other company's locomotives that makes such extensive use of official drawings, coupled with such a thorough description of the engineering details as well as the history of each class.

Do any of the articles in the very useful list @PenrithBeacon linked to include anything beyond modellers' drawings?

I am eagerly waiting and hoping for the promised Ivatt mogul volume, and hope they add further coverage of the 2-6-4t family sometime. I'd love a book on the Stanier tanks to the standard of the volume on the Fowler 2-6-4t. 

• RMweb Premium
38 minutes ago, WM183 said:

I am eagerly waiting and hoping for the promised Ivatt mogul volume, and hope they add further coverage of the 2-6-4t family sometime. I'd love a book on the Stanier tanks to the standard of the volume on the Fowler 2-6-4t. 

I hope @Dave Hunt will forgive me for saying that you must make allowance for varying degrees of Anno Domini among the author team. But perhaps there are some dedicated, knowledgeable, and enthusiastic people out there upon whom the mantle* can fall?

*mantle: a cloak (possibly of invisibility); not to be confused with mantel: a shelf above a fireplace or an author of historical fiction, neither of which I would wish anyone to have fall upon them.

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, WM183 said:

I wouldn't even know how to begin compiling that amount of information, sadly. 

Many hours spent at the NRM - where the drawings are - was, as I understand it, a major part of the work.

Guest WM183

Much of research is spent in archives like that, yeah. It doesn't sound like the worst way to pass some time, to be fair! 

Amanda