Nyeti's 7mm narrow gauge

Nyeti

Hello denizens!  I thought it's about time I started posting here after a while lurking in the background.

Like many modellers I started out as a schoolboy building an OO gauge roundy-roundy (a GWR branch line of course) with my dad.  Time passed, family crises happened, I went to college and university, and after a few years found myself working on the big railway as a design engineer.

Old instincts stirred and I felt the urge to get back into modelling.  With the OO stock out of reach I might as well start completely from scratch and decided on O9 for heft, charm, detail, freedom to scratch- and kit-build, and minimum use of space.  I was living in a one-bed flat after all.

What started with an Arnold starter set and a secondhand Amstrad computer case turned into my first micro, Townshend Gardens.  It's a pleasure railway set somewhere in an English town circa 2000, a compact tribute to my love of the Ratty, BVR, and MVR, and named after my friend Jess.

51082377057_cddffe74c2_h.jpg

The entire layout.  Fully functional and scenicked, but I've not yet added much detail... just to keep it portable, honest.

51013103390_32c143e428_h.jpg

"Peridot", an MG Models body on an Arnold chassis, and "Pumpkin", an A1 Models body on a Tomytec chassis, sit at the platform with their simple scratchbuilt trains.

50997356114_9c08feb6b3_h.jpg

A new addition to the O9 loco roster is "Connie", an Egger-Bahn steam loco modified with a mostly 3D printed cab and bunkers.  More on that later ;)

• Like 12

Thank you @Dava!

As time went on - and encouraged by the 7mmNGA and the low cost of mechanisms - I decided to branch out into O16.5.

50997353829_38219b6f75_h.jpg

My first locomotive: "Eleine", a Smallbrook Odin on a slightly modified Hornby chassis.  I'm rather satisfied with the motion covers as a way of hiding the chassis' deficiencies.

50997355889_1797f08b37_h.jpg

Work in progress: "Falconer", an chimaera of Lima Plymouth bonnet, Smallbrook cab, and a lot of plasticard and wire built to fit on a stock Hornby chassis.  It's still awaiting a driver and roof.

51158512190_03da77d17d_h.jpg

Here's the most recent finished loco, "Wind Rose", a scale resin print of a China Coal CTY8/7 running on yet another Hornby chassis.  I researched, designed, and printed this model as a solo project.

(And yes, I have fixed the glazing since taking this photo!)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 3 weeks later...

51209324130_f7c4f446a0_b.jpg

My current work in progress for O-16.5 is "Leah", a Springside Fowey shown here with the roof balanced in place on a dry run.  It's a lovely little kit and the weight of whitemetal is rather satisfying.

Edited by Nyeti
Wrong manufacturer name
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Nyeti said:

My current work in progress for O-16.5 is "Leah", a Smallbrook Fowey shown here with the roof balanced in place on a dry run.  It's a lovely little kit and the weight of whitemetal is rather satisfying.

Just a small correction - that's a Springside kit - Smallbrook produce resin bodies to fit ready to run chassis . . . . . . . . 

On 28/05/2021 at 22:52, Mike Bellamy said:

that's a Springside kit

Well spotted Mike!  That was a slip of the fingers on my part; the Smallbrook kit is further up the thread.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

My laptop has died - a motherboard fault that put it beyond economic repair - so I've not been able to do any new 3D prints.  Fortunately I have other things to distract me!

(yes, I know I haven't finished the Springside kit; this is just how I work.)

51346164645_b51432c31d_b.jpg

I've started building a brake saloon and luggage van from a pack of 422 Models seconds I had lying around.  The chassis are Hornby with new metal wheels fitted.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2