Alternative to railmatch sleeper grime

I am about to start rack laying and ballasting and want to spray y track first with something like sleeper grime to weather the rails (I hate shinny rails on a layout).

Now I hit a problem.  I love in the Netherlands and can’t get paint particularly spray paint delivered from the uk.  This means I am stuck with using something like  TAMIYA or REVELL spray cans.

Can anyone tell me why would be the best colour to use for weathering track from either TAMIYA or REVELL spray cans or point me to anywhere I the Netherlands I can get soothing like Railmatch sleeper grime over here?

Edited by NS Peak

• NS Peak changed the title to Alternative to railmatch sleeper grime
  • RMweb Gold

This topic might give you more brands to search for, Montana is made by the Plastikote group and some of theirs is made in the Netherlands so there should be an alternative to their basalt. 

• Thanks 1

Cheers Paul,

Happy to take a look at other brands , was looking at TAMIYA or REVELL as I know most of the model shops in the Netherlands stock these as spray cans.  (Boy do I miss a uk model shop and frequent trips back and forth) 

• RMweb Gold

One thing I found handy is to have a small offcut of wood, (I keep little offcuts of 2x1 just for this), or thick card to wipe along the rail tops immediately after spraying as it’s a lot easier than scrubbing it off after it’s dried. If you use the cut end the slight roughness also takes the paint off the angle at the top of the railhead slightly so it doesn’t gunge up the flanges. 

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2