Hornby R334 Station Canopy on N scale layout

Hi, newbie in the planning stage here. Has anyone used a Hornby OO scale station canopy on an N scale layout? I'm thinking that with replacement side girders and supports (the most out of scale parts) the transparent roof and curved girder parts (the curved girders being difficult to replace with N scale equivalents) could provide a very good station canopy. Three together would cover much of my proposed station - see below (the grey rectangles sent to back at the lower end of the plan are 3 of said canopies). They cover both platforms, the through lines and the branch platform. Please note: this isn't in any way a prototypical deisng and is meant for entertainment (i.e. 'play') only...

Any thoughts?

1409944463_Design10f.jpg.f977be02bbead2a29f6a8bbe479956ca.jpg

Edited by alphonsus
Error in title

• RMweb Premium

I am sure that someone has used the canopy on an N gauge layout before, possibly there was an article in the n gauge journal. 

From the plan it looks like you are using set track points, are you aware that not all locos or rolling stock are compatible with these?

• Agree 1

I like the idea but have to agree with Kris, also - even the locos that do work can look a bit odd using these points.  I've used them in fiddle yards with no problems in the past.  You can sometimes get streamline ones cheap online...  

PS, Do you have an image of the canopies you intend to use? 

Hello both,

You're right, I am using Setrack points. Streamline would be more elegant but I'm happy enough with the appearance on a flat table test. My reasoning is that because the majority of the points are at the station speed across the points will be low anyway. The crossover and exit at the top of the layout (there is a sub-scenery matching exit on the right hand side) aren't planned to be used on a regular basis.

I've checked almost everything and most of the locos and running stock I have so far seem happy at the speeds I intend using: Farish Virgin 220, Farish Earl of Dunraven with Cream/Umber Pullmans, Dapol Class 153. I've not tested a Farish Class 08 yet as I have to install a DCC chip and I don't yet have any wagons, but plan on using BR Bauxite conflats, 3, 5 and 7 plank wagons (despite that not really matching the 220 and 153 in era). I've not seen any mention of wagons having problems with Setrack points?

Mr eBay has 4 canopies available sans stanchions at a very reasonable individual price at the moment... and I've just realised the title is wrong: it's the R334 dual track canopy!

canopy.jpg

canopy2.jpg

• Informative/Useful 1

• alphonsus changed the title to Hornby R334 Station Canopy on N scale layout

I think the side girders would be very large so I'd replace them with something more delicate. Uprights, as you say, should be fashionned with ease. In OO scale the canopy covers a double track and the Hornby platforms on either side, in N scale it covers a 3.4cm platform, double track, 7.6cm platform and single track. Thinking about the span of stations like Newcastle, I don't think that's excessive.

• Like 1

Hi all,

I would have thought just using the side braces of the canopy as pillars would work. Just drop the legs. As for the width I would have thought that the size of it would cover more than 2 tracks and platforms in N gauge. Possibly 3 tracks.

• Like 1

I wonder if the Peco Manyways Overall Roof might not be better suited to N? It generally looks a bit more refined, and doesn't have the hugely deep side girders of the Hornby one, plus they can be built with different height "legs" to have one side on a platform and the other on the ground (granted, for 00 platform heights, but that ought to be able to be worked around). 
image.png.36f950ebd1c61df437f1be392df803b6.png

• Agree 1

That's an excellent shout, Linny. It looks far more refined and a pack made up in single-long configuration provides the same width and slightly more length (to all intents and purposes, now I've got the distance between tracks and platform edges more correct). Investigating...

• Like 1