With the number of different narrow gauge prototypes out there do people still go freelance?

MarcD

10 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

ISTR George Hanan's County Donegal, in RM 1959-61-ish, did exactly that. 

You would indeed think that George Hanan had used 5.5mm scale on 16.5mm track.

However, in fact he used a scale of 5mm to the foot.

Why this was the case puzzled me when I read the articles at the time they were published. I still do not know why Mr Hanan choose the scale he did.

CP

12 hours ago, BernardTPM said:

What does the FR use these days? I know they've not got much bullhead left.

9 hours ago, 009 micro modeller said:

I think a few years ago they had a policy of using bullhead in stations (i.e. where people could see it at close range) and FB elsewhere (FB being easier to maintain, especially in more remote locations). I don’t know if this is still the case.

Checking on Festipedia it seems that the last bullhead track on running lines was removed in January 2017. Flatbottom rail of both 60lbs/yd and 75lbs/yd have been used since 1970. Full size 113lbs/yd rail is used where the WHR crosses the Cambrian line.

75lb/yd rail would be around 130mm high (source: Britishsteel.co.uk) which is 1.7mm high in 4mm scale, not far off code 80 (2mm), so I'd say current Peco Mainline track would be acceptable for modern FR practice. Interestingly the FR now use plastic sleepers. They don't say if 'PECO' is moulded on the underside though :D

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I think the Festiniog is an exception as far as most British NG is concerned, though, the historical use of Bullhead rail for one and the use of heavier rail in general is the other. Whilst the Welshpool has some points in 75lb rail it isn't common and most is much lighter.

For the Festie, then, code 80 may be acceptable, just, but for most of the rest it is far too heavy, bear in mind that Peco Mainline is based on Modern European NG practice, 750/760mm gauge and is a good general representation of those lines (luckily the ones I model!). Code 60/55 is a good start for most British NG but code 40 would be nearer for many NG lines. 

The other issue is rail profile, that link from BS only gives their own versions, but I have a German book on NG which has several pages of different rail heights and weights. Rather like looking at Peco's code 60 rail (which is based on conductor rail) and code 55 which has a different profile. Things are never simple in railways!

• Like 1

Very true about profiles. The Peco code 60 has a much thicker head than the code 80 which I think tends to make it look too heavy. I have got some 2mm Assoc. code 40 and that is much finer than the code 60 though the head is probably a similar width to the code 80. Code 40 will work with most modern N gauge wheels provided you make sure nothing strays onto the foot of the rail. If you insist on adding even dummy spikes then it is likely you'd need to change to fine scale flanges. One possibility I suppose could be a narrow gauge version of Peco's N gauge 'code 55' where the visible part of the rail is code 55 but there's extra depth buried within the sleeper and web. They already have the rail (I don't think any other manufacturer has). Don't hold your breath though.

Edited by BernardTPM
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

I used Peco's code 60 on my TTe layouts (1:120 scale/6.5mm gauge) and it looked OK for modern Czech NG, code 80 would have looked far to heavy, though.

It would be nice if for Peco's next effort in NG they replaced the Crazy Track with something more realistic for UK modellers, either as you say using their "false" code 55 or even proper code 55 or 60 rail. Most 009 modellers don't use the old pizza cutter wheels so allowing for them isn't really an issue. Can't see it happening though.

• Like 1

I know the conversation about which code track has mainly been around OO9, but in HOn3, Micro-Engineering produce track in codes 70. 55 and 40. FWIW they also do codes 100, 83, 70 and 55 in HO. But with HOn30/OO9, you're pretty much stuck with Peco, Roco or Tillig, who only produce one profile each.