Livery of the Adams Radial tanks on loan to the HR in WW1

Londontram

Hello every one I wonder if you could help. Does any one know the livery of the Adams LSWR 415 class Radial tanks at the time that they were loaned to the Highland Railway in WW1 also does anyone have the numbers of the locomotives involved.

With thanks Steve

Edited by Londontram
Spelling correction

• Londontram changed the title to Livery of the Adams Radial tanks on loan to the HR in WW1

According to this:

https://preservedbritishsteamlocomotives.com/0415-4-4-2t-lswr-adams-30582-30584/

the engines loaned were 0480/1/5/7. 

There’s a picture of one at Fortrose, identified as 0487 (see in the comments, as well as a correction of the date):

http://www.fortroseandrosemarkiearchive.org/picture/number463.asp

There’s also a picture of one on the Highland main line, in company with an NER BTP, on the way back to the LSWR. It’s in ‘Steam Supreme’ by R.D. Stephen. I can’t remember the number, and don’t have access to the book just now.

I don’t know how useful the photos will be for identifying colours, though.

Thankyou PH every little helps and like a jigsaw each piece Helps to build a picture, now at least I have the numbers so the livery of the day should be the same as all the others I just need to find What that was.

11 hours ago, Wickham Green too said:

Thanks but I'm only really concerned with the four Radial tanks that were loaned to the Highland Railway in WW1 and would be very unlikely to be able to justify the cost of the book for a single piece of information but thanks again.

With respect my friend but your having a laugh. My local library got rid of its last railway reference books about 10 years ago the last decent one was on Scottish branch lines but thats disappeared now as well. 

The library is now full of rows and rows of computers and a little cafe the books taking up about a third of the space it used to occupy.

So you see the library option is out!

Just to take issue with the Highland Soc on the dating of the photo - according to Bradley, only 0480 and 0481 were returned in 1919, 0485 and 0487 were returned in in 1921.  Bradley does not give any details of what livery they were in when returned. 

Londontram, you should be able to get a copy of the book from your local library by interlibrary loan - may take a few weeks, though.

• Thanks 1

No-one seems to have noted the livery of these locos when they were in Scotland, so the likelihood is that they were in LSWR livery for the duration.  Urie's Green was introduced in 1912, so it is probable they would have been in that colour when they went north in 1918. Bradley notes (Wild Swan version) that they were sent first to the North British Loco Co for overhaul, and, because a couple of the boilers failed, the LSWR sent the boilers off another pair of Radials to replace them. If they were dispatched with cladding they would have presumably also been in green. There is another photo of one of them returning south in the company of an NER loco in Highland Miscellany, but the livery is not discernible.

• Thanks 1