Dismantling Roco Coach(es)

SamThomas

I have a set of these Roco coaches which already have factory fitted lights (with bulbs).

Running DCC some of the bulbs have failed so I need to replace them - while the coaches are apart I'll retrofit LED strips & "stay alives", also, I may as well fit some passengers.

The problem is getting into them - I've tried springing the coach sides out but don't want to use too much force - does anyone know for certain how to gain access please ?

20210512_114937_Burst01.jpg

20210512_113752_Burst01.jpg

Edited by SamThomas
Typo.

• SamThomas changed the title to Dismantling Roco Coach(es)

Hi Sam,

There is usually a couple of ways of getting into Roco coaches, I don’t know which applies to this one.

1. Remove the corridor connection moulding, it should pop out or slide out.

Then carefully slide the roof off, takes a bit of doing but it will come.

2. (more likely) Make some tapered wedges from the likes of coffee stirrers, about 6 or even 8.

Very gently, prise the lower edge of the coach body, just above the solebar - if you look very closely, you can see a join between the two parts. Once you have all the wedges in place, the body should slide up and off the chassis BUT be careful of the wiring.

A third option may be to pull the buffers off before the body can be released, this may apply to the above methods but I think it’s method 2.

Edit: I am sure the join is between the white bodywork and the black solebar.

I hope this helps,

John

Edited by Allegheny1600
Add info

Thanks again to John for his help.

It was the second method, but when the control coach  body was away from the chassis I could see that the roof itself clips off  so I'll try that approach with the coaches.

So far, no actual wiring - I'll post up a couple of pictures.

Sam.

Hi Sam,

I’m glad it worked for you!

I’ve opened numerous coaches from various manufacturers belonging to several people so I couldn’t recall the exact method so I just listed the “secret” methods most manufacturers seem to use. “secret” as in the less obvious or hidden methods rather than the “open” method of screws or tabs.

Cheers,

John

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
13 hours ago, Sir TophamHatt said:

What coaches / control cars are these?

They look pretty nice.

I'm not too sure of the type (without looking & they are stored ATM), but I also have a set in orange & beige livery.

I bought the Toshiba ones many years ago because they looked nice & have never seen any since - they were not in Roco boxes.

Just done a quick search - looks like the catalogue number was 44020 for a 3-Car set & additional

coach was available.

Edited by SamThomas
Further info' added.
  • Like 1