Launch of GWR Manor Class in 00

Both Dapol & Accurascale are planning the launch of 00 gauge GWR Manor Class locomotives later this year.

Why two different companies producing the same loco at the same time, I don't understand!

While a new tooled version is way overdue I cannot decide which product company to go for.

Both look superb with their mock ups & sampling but does anyone have any thoughts about which of the two will be best to go for?

Dapol a superb modelling record or Accurascale with their first attempt at a Steam Locomotive.

Both to be launched at the same price too!

Its a lot of money to lay out on these models particularly if you require DCC Sound added.

I might have to wait until they are both launched & a comparison is written in one of the Model Railway Magazines.

Any thoughts would be very much appreciated.

Thank you very much

Like many I look forward to the arrival of the long awaited Manor. However I have not forgotten the myriad problems associated with the DJM 14xx - luckily I held back and ended up saving myself a possible pile of trouble.

I am tempted to do the same with the Manor and await initial reactions on RMWeb before investing in either one or the other of them. I can't justify Danemouth having one of each :rolleyes:

Dave

16 minutes ago, Danemouth said:

I can't justify Danemouth having one of each :rolleyes:

Oooh, I don't know about that.

I have a great picture of two Manors both waiting to depart with lengthy passenger trains from platforms 4 & 5 at Aberystwyth. Despite being the terminus of a long single line, a seaside  resort like that often had plenty of traffic on summer Saturdays with multiple trains present at the same time. Perfect excuse for multiple Manors, if you ask me. 

I think the real question is whether the bank balance can handle getting one of each...

:)

Yours, Mike.

PS At the moment they both look great. Time will tell regarding any snags. Of course, we don't really know when they will be released - history tells us that much is promised that can take ages to get delivered.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Duplication of models by competing companies is almost inevitable in the case pf a prototype like the Manor; what happens is that if both companies carry out market research at around the same time and there os an obvious gap such as this to be filled, they will go ahead with R&D and production planning before either is aware of the other’s intention.  By the time the first one announces, both are too far in to pull out, resulting in a head to head confrontation in the marketplace that nobody, nor even the customers in the long term, benefits from.  

The obvious alternative would be for the manufacturers to set up a sort of prototypes  clearing house arrangement by agreement between them to prevent this sort of thing.  This is what is known as a Cartel and would, rightly, attract the attention of the Markets and Competition Authority, which is what the Monopolies and Mergers Commission calls itself these days.  

In this case it is indeed difficult to choose between the two competing Manors.  The Dapol mechanism is the same as in their 43xx and pending 5101, so is a known quantity that has has been given improved gearing for the current and future production run.  The Accurascale will be their first steam model, but they have developed a very good reputation for detail, scale, and running. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• AY Mod locked this topic