SWAG Member's Day - 24th April 2022

Stubby47

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

I bet the name of that burger is more of a mouthful than the product itself.

Try this for size then, you burger lovers - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-59044820

I have no problem with the concept of not eating meat.

I do have a problem with the concept of fake meat (or fake just-about-anything, as it happens).

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, St Enodoc said:

I do have a problem with the concept of fake meat (or fake just-about-anything, as it happens).

I thought it was going to be about eating insects or the like until I read the detail.

I think I'd prefer a few limp lettuce leaves to a laboratory-grown burger!

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Captain Kernow said:

Having said that, I can assure folk that only the finest, authentic ingredients go into the pasties and other pies that I would anticipate bringing (Management permitting) to the Taunton 'do!'

Authentic but not necessarily named . .

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

I haven't eaten any kind of beast for the last 35 years, and been dairy free for 33 of those because I couldn't kill and butcher a beast myself, plus the diary industry isn't all sweetness and light (plenty of stuff out there about both so I shan't harp on about it - which actually really does annoy me anyway).

From a personal perspective, I didn't stop eating meat or drinking milk because I didn't like it, I did it for the reasons above.  I loved shoving cow etc down my neck and now eat almost all meat substitutes (pies, sausages, and cheese) because they have the shape and similar taste and are the comfort food from my childhood, oh and they're yummy!  I will, however, draw the line at the Ginsters Vegan Quorn Pasty  not just out of respect for members of SWAG but because they're gross.  Almost everything has a substitute now, some of which you've probably eaten and not even known about (in the UK anyway).

I don't classify myself as a vegan but as living on a plant based diet, I shop in Sainsburys for starters, plus not all of my medications are in the slightest diary free. I'm of the opinion of each to their own, it's only grub at the end of the day.  Vegans/veggies that harp on about it annoy me greatly.

Not forgetting the booze, which you can check here at Barnivore to see if your favourite tipple is vegan.  Don't panic, you can alway have it with pork scratchings ;)

Edit:
Mrs Dubya is certainly not a vegan or even veggie, and having been brought up in Zambia the only thing she will not eat are boiled tinned new potatoes... oh and she is a native of the Black Country ;)

Edited by Tim Dubya
Black nitrile gloves from Screwfix
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, Tim Dubya said:

I haven't eaten any kind of beast for the last 35 years, and been dairy free for 33 of those

So would the spinach and feta filo pastry pie be OK for you, Tim?

(Kernow Towers Food Tasting Department Official Assessment = yummy)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
41 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

So would the spinach and feta filo pastry pie be OK for you, Tim?

(Kernow Towers Food Tasting Department Official Assessment = yummy)

No, unless the feta was vegan.  I wouldn't worry too much about me personally, but it may be worth asking if there are any fussy eaters in attendance.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Tim Dubya said:

I haven't eaten any kind of beast for the last 35 years, and been dairy free for 33 of those, because I find the industry barbaric, even more so the dairy side (plenty of stuff out there about both so I shan't harp on about it - which actually really does annoy me anyway).

From a personal perspective, I didn't stop eating meat or drinking milk because I didn't like it I did it for the reasons above.  I loved shoving cow down my neck and eat almost all meat substitutes because that's the way I'm programmed and they're yummy!  I will, however, draw the line at the Ginsters Vegan Quorn Pasty  not just out of respect for members of SWAG but because they're gross.  Almost everything has a substitute now, some of which you've probably eaten and not even known about (in the UK anyway)... beef & tomato pot needle anyone ? 

I don't classify myself as a vegan but as living on a plant based diet, I shop in Sainsburys for starters, plus not all of my medications are in the slightest diary free. I'm of the opinion of each to their own, it's only grub at the end of the day.  Vegans/veggies that harp on about it annoy me greatly.

Edit:
Mrs Dubya is certainly not a vegan or even veggie, and having been brought up in Zambia the only thing she will not eat are tinned new potatoes!

Quorn also has the nasty side to it that some people (me for one) are allergic to it and become violently ill. Always a problem at buffets if you forget to ask whether anything put out is a Quorn product. 

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, john new said:

Quorn also has the nasty side to it that some people (me for one) are allergic to it and become violently ill. Always a problem at buffets if you forget to ask whether anything put out is a Quorn product. 

Hopefully there won't be any meat or Quorn in the cakes...

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Stubby47 said:

Hopefully there won't be any meat or Quorn in the cakes...

I understand from the Memsahib that, as per usual, there may be vegetables in some of the cakes under consideration. 

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

I thought Quorn was a hunt in Leicestershire?

I thought it woz wot posh people eat at the cinema......

Pop quorn. 

• Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

there may be vegetables in some of the cakes under consideration. 

If it contains vegetables then it’s a main course not pudding. 

Main Course

Carrot cake, 

Pudding course

Real Cakes, fruit cakes especially if iced, pies containing fruit, asstd chou pastries, anything with meringue and cheesecakes. 

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, PaulRhB said:

If it contains vegetables then it’s a main course not pudding. 

Main Course

Carrot cake, 

Pudding course

Real Cakes, fruit cakes especially if iced, pies containing fruit, asstd chou pastries, anything with meringue and cheesecakes. 

For the record, the Memsahib's previously submitted Courgette and lime sponge was consumed with considerable vigour and will feature next year.  

In addition, I believe there may well be chocolate and beetroot muffins on the cards. 

I regard either of the above as contributing towards my five a day, with or without cream. 

Rob. 

Edited by NHY 581
Sprinkles
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Mrs M doesn't eat meat. To save on things like cooking two meals and the washing up I have what she cooks. Some I like some I don't, I do get meat pies and pork sausages from time to time so life isn't too bad. 

Well it is really because the two 30 something kids have returned and cook their own food and leave the washing up to me. So I have eaten a cottage pie with lentils not mince to save on washing up only to find I cannot cram any more stuff in the dishwasher and end up hand washing the dish the cottage pie was cooked in.

Looking forward to having a meat pasty or two in April. And playing trains with you lot. 

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, Tim Dubya said:

I haven't personally but I believe it was that crazy kid @Mallard60022who makes Courgette muffins. 

He might have said it was courgette.  Being a duck, it could have been pondweed. 

Edited by NHY 581
Typing with hooves
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

For the record, the Memsahib's previously submitted Courgette and lime sponge was consumed with considerable vigour and will feature next year.  

In addition, I believe there may well be chocolate and beetroot muffins on the cards. 

I regard either of the above as contributing towards my five a day, with or without cream. 

Rob. 

Just as long as they are in the correct courses, but vegetable based foods have to be in the main course, gravy being optional ;) 

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, PaulRhB said:

Just as long as they are in the correct courses, but vegetable based foods have to be in the main course, gravy being optional ;) 

There ya go, Bisto gravy granules (in the red cardboard tube) are vegan.

So for the avoidance of doubt you should really be having Bisto Best (in the glass jar) on your fruit.

Edited by Tim Dubya
I think I said I wasn't going to harp on about this...
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, PaulRhB said:

You must be on the acoustic guitar then

Better crack on and learn, I've run out of decent excuses for being late for work.  I am being more positive about it though, so instead of saying "sorry I'm late", I now say "thanks for waiting for me".

• Like 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2