SWAG Member's Day - 24th April 2022

Stubby47

On 27/10/2021 at 11:17, AY Mod said:

Everything past Gordano services is holiday territory. :biggrin_mini2:

You’d need a holiday after visiting Gordano services - once stopped there on my way back from Devon and found it awful! 

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, Liam said:

You’d need a holiday after visiting Gordano services - once stopped there on my way back from Devon and found it awful! 

Yes, only reason for stopping was small child toilet requirements. Took 40 mins to negotiate off M5, traffic around junction, car park, toilet, roundabout queue again, back onto M5. Never again! Ask before getting to Michaelwood otherwise hang on until Sedgemoor! 

Edited by Ramblin Rich
  • Agree 6
  • Friendly/supportive 4

17 hours ago, AY Mod said:

Have you got Barbary Apes there too?

I do believe there may be one booked demonstrating weathering techniques at the SWAG 2022 :o ....

25020369-a-chimpanzee-pan-troglodytes-uses-tools-to-get-fruit-from-a-box-at-the-singapore-zoo-.jpg.afd8548559489e3653b8ae1d3540e0cb.jpg

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Ramblin Rich said:

Yes, only reason for stopping was small child toilet requirements. Took 40 mins to negotiate off M5, traffic around junction, car park, toilet, roundabout queue again, back onto M5. Never again! Ask before getting to Michaelwood otherwise hang on until Sedgemoor! 

Bridgwater equally poor.

• Agree 4

• RMweb Gold

Pasty and pie update

I wasn't going to post a photo of the pasties that we normally have, as most of you are already familiar with them and if you don't know what a pasty looks like now, then we might as well all move to Horrocksford.

But then again:

20190327_123639.jpg.b652d13197689c4a05465272d8ca6090.jpg

This photo is by way of reminding you of the chicken & ham pies that we also usually have, they are deee-lisch-ous:

20211028_115415.jpg.c3bcebf13f1e6944745e60fb70a12547.jpg

And now for the new menu option, which I hope The Management will ask me to obtain, together with the above items.

This is a Spinach and Feta Pie with Filo pastry. They can be eaten hot or cold and are very, very nice. Vegetarians may prefer something like this instead of a cheese pasty, which we have also provided in the past.

Here is a piece of Spinach & Feta Filo Pie, posed with what is known in Kernow Towers as an F.A. salad **

20211028_121923.jpg.1319f84cd546be5dcbb8e18760078a1d.jpg

** Fancy Ars*d

Edited by Captain Kernow
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Round of applause 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

4 hours ago, Ramblin Rich said:

The M5 seems to have a high concentration of awful motorway services, although Sedgemoor and Michaelwood do the job. The only exception to that is Gloucester which is fitted out wonderfully but try eating there and you’re looking at a fiver for a small fancy sausage roll. Can’t comment on their pasty situation though @Captain Kernow

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Liam said:

The M5 seems to have a high concentration of awful motorway services, although Sedgemoor and Michaelwood do the job. The only exception to that is Gloucester which is fitted out wonderfully but try eating there and you’re looking at a fiver for a small fancy sausage roll. Can’t comment on their pasty situation though @Captain Kernow

I'm not sure if this is actually true but in these parts some say Gloucester Services is a "destination"....

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
48 minutes ago, mullie said:

Why would you use the M5? An even bigger and more unpleasant  car park than the M25.

Martyn

Ok IF you time it right, otherwise concur fully. On one recent trip north that had to be done as we were dropping stuff off in Gloucester the SatNav even routed through central Bristol as quicker than the jam over the Avon Bridge. Not many alternatives for us tho' going to Yorkshire the Fosse Way or the A31 - A34 - M40 etc on the way up to the M1 are even more crash prone.

Edited by john new
Usual typos
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, mullie said:

Why would you use the M5? An even bigger and more unpleasant  car park than the M25.

Martyn

I'm more of a "take your time on the A39" sort of chap for getting down to Kernow, (then getting on the A30 at Indian Queens).  It took me the same amount of time as the M5 / A303 / A30 / A38 routes but less stressful and less time stood still breathing in exhaust fumes.  Plus you can and stop and chat to cows etc almost anytime you like.  

I love the Atlantic Highway. 

Edited by Tim Dubya
Wind, caused by vegan curry and strong cider.
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

Pasty and pie update

I wasn't going to post a photo of the pasties that we normally have, as most of you are already familiar with them and if you don't know what a pasty looks like now, then we might as well all move to Horrocksford.

But then again:

20190327_123639.jpg.b652d13197689c4a05465272d8ca6090.jpg

This photo is by way of reminding you of the chicken & ham pies that we also usually have, they are deee-lisch-ous:

20211028_115415.jpg.c3bcebf13f1e6944745e60fb70a12547.jpg

And now for the new menu option, which I hope The Management will ask me to obtain, together with the above items.

This is a Spinach and Feta Pie with Filo pastry. They can be eaten hot or cold and are very, very nice. Vegetarians may prefer something like this instead of a cheese pasty, which we have also provided in the past.

Here is a piece of Spinach & Feta Filo Pie, posed with what is known in Kernow Towers as an F.A. salad **

20211028_121923.jpg.1319f84cd546be5dcbb8e18760078a1d.jpg

I could always get this and post it down to you?

1548139420_PieForSale.jpg.96c7c1316f31b56c27060508355e3241.jpg

• Funny 10
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, bgman said:

There's always an alternative !

e_10753-1.jpg.581834b1d5208e2383f6e47167cce544.jpg

Not sure these eco-gravy boats will catch on you know..

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 4

With the current works on the A30 near Truro - being upgraded to dual carriageway - and the jams on the 'Atlantic Byway' because of the traffic avoiding the A30, I'm staying in west Cornwall....
Re. Services, travelling north, if by myself, first stop from PZ is Sedgemoor (nee Brent Knowle).
I worked on the M5 construction along the stretch W-S-M to Taunton in 1969 - 72, and have a soft spot for Sedgemoor Services.
Coming home, one of the lowest ranking, Collumpton, but it's about 2.5 hours from home, so a quick toilet, possibly a Hamburger and Orange juice and off I go.  When I was exhibiting Penlan (the layout), I would arrive here around 8 - 11pm depending where from, a useful 'wake-up' call.
SWAG day 2022 is on the cards for me, but I shall have to wait to see if I can make it, family reasons.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1