New uniform shelters coming to many small and medium stations near you.

16 hours ago, Phatbob said:

Sorry to be negative, but I'm underwhelmed.  The clock is good, but the rest? Canopies that won't actually protect anybody from the weather?  Useless.  Canopy supports apparently made from wood?  Not going to last on this soggy litlle island.  I could go on. 
This just reinforces my predudice that architects exist to win prizes from other architects and not to provide a built environment that's actually fit for purpose.

As an engineer, my experience of architects is that they draw a pretty picture, then hand it all over to the engineers to actually make their flight of fancy work, whilst vetoing all proposals by said engineers that might actually make the project feasible. Oh, and then accept the gong, of course. The senior engineer couldn't make it to the ceremony anyway, having succumbed to stress related ulcers. Don't want that riff-raff lowering the tone anyway. They'll only get drunk and steal the cutlery. [/rant].

As to a portal to Hades, didn't that already happen when New Street was sunk? The escalators down to platform level always felt like that, as long as you accept that Hades might be cold, dimly lit and smelling of diesel exhaust.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, phil-b259 said:

I doubt the wood is structural - while wooden framed buildings (including blocks of flats) have come back into vogue in recent years, its most likely that in this case its likely trendy cladding on a steel structure

I do hope you're right and the wood is just cladding.

3 hours ago, PatB said:

As an engineer, my experience of architects is that they draw a pretty picture, then hand it all over to the engineers to actually make their flight of fancy work, whilst vetoing all proposals by said engineers that might actually make the project feasible. Oh, and then accept the gong, of course. The senior engineer couldn't make it to the ceremony anyway, having succumbed to stress related ulcers. Don't want that riff-raff lowering the tone anyway. They'll only get drunk and steal the cutlery. [/rant].

As to a portal to Hades, didn't that already happen when New Street was sunk? The escalators down to platform level always felt like that, as long as you accept that Hades might be cold, dimly lit and smelling of diesel exhaust.

Well, if you read Dante's Inferno, the center of Hell is frozen solid and there a re a good many sulphurous smells floating about!

Don't see why they need all that elaborate stuff, anyway.  Just stick a Portakabin or two on the platform.

• Like 1