Help needed re-wiring / re-assembling a Bachmann Atlantic C1

DrStroganoff

Hey guys.    I'm hoping to get some help/advice on rebuilding this loco.   Hope that I'm posting this in the correct place.    

I recently acquired a Bachmann Atlantic 4-4-2 loco, a non-runner, in which a previous owner has removed some of the essential bits for DCC installation.    I (almost) think I know what I'm doing, but I do have a couple of questions for you knowledgeable folks.

So, here it is in bits...    I should also mention that the loco is to be DCC fitted.  

IMG_5131.jpg.9e76844b591d8f00111ebbb1de8534c9.jpg

Firstly, the 4-pin plug and wires have been removed from the loco.    I have sourced a replacement plug/wires,  and I think this will be the easy bit,  identify which wires go to the motor/pickups, and solder them in.   Which leads to my first question...
The motor:   Should I remove the yellow capacitors?  And I'm fairly certain those resistors aren't original,  so I assume they can go too?

IMG_5132.jpg.4b0ceff7e9e61586e22fbafda7e3b545.jpg

The previous owner has used this as a static display model, and for some reason has decided to paint everything on the underside of the chassis black, including the 4-pin socket.   I do have some new sockets, but I'm not confident that I could neatly solder a new socket to the board.    The pins in the socket have black paint on them,  any ideas of how I could clean the pins up?   I've just tried dipping a new 4-pin plug into paint thinners and then inserting it into the socket.  Didn't really do much...

IMG_5134.jpg.c397713b464f4dafe190fc0abb676bcf.jpg

The pickups have also been cut out of the tender.  Not worried about putting new tender pickups in,  as there is still a bit of the original pickups left there which I have cleaned up. So I'll be able to solder new pickups there at a later date.

IMG_5133.jpg.5dfbbbad9f9028887964965a819c6af8.jpg

And lastly, identifying which wires go where.   I think I've just found the answer in a recent post in this forum,  but just to check I've understood correctly:
R      : Pickups R
M+   Motor R  
M-    : Motor L
L       : Pickups L

IMG_5135.jpg.69e06eb14034dd586dab96dc9aa2e1ec.jpg

Thanks for reading.    Any advice/tips would be most helpful!   

• 1 month later...

I realise now that I posted this in the wrong section of the forum,  I guess it should've gone in 'Modelling Questions, Help & Tips.'

Anyway,  pleased to report that she is now running nicely,  and this project has certainly boosted my confidence in tackling these sort of jobs!

• Round of applause 1