Manchester Metrolink

Hi Rob,

As far as I am aware there are no Ready to Run models available for the Manchester Metrolink. However Worsley works produce a kit for the Metrolink trams (its less of a kit more of a means of taking out the first steps of scratchbuilding). They are offered in 3mm and 4mm . http://www.worsleyworks.co.uk .

I believe that these kits need you to source your own motor, bogie's, pantograph, interior and maybe more.

I hope that is useful for you.

Stephen

• RMweb Gold

Mark Hughes does a resin kit of the original series cars

This replaced a white metal / brass kit (which made up into a very attractive model - but was rather heavy). It was offered in 2 versions - static kit, with full interior detail - and the standard version, which could be motorized.

The original kit was designed to use 2 Tenshodo / Hanazono WB26 SPUD motor bogies (I believe they're the same ones that Harrow models used to suggest for some of their 4mm London Underground kits).

This was probably fine on level, straight or gently curved, track. Unfortunately, a number of model tram layouts include sharp curves and slopes - I understand that, on one exhibition layout, these were enough to render the "original style" models inoperable.

I can't see weight being a problem with the new resin kits.

I'm also aware of a card kit (also in 4mm scale) by Alphagraphix - like a number of their kits, it's rather good (and could make a useful "scratch aid").

As stated by Mark and Huw, there is the Mark Hughes kit which can be made to represent either of the first two batches of cars (10xx / 20xx number series).

For the new Bombardier M5000 trams (30xx series), they are a basically a copy of the Koln (Colone) K5000 series of which there is an HO scale model available from Halling. Currently only available in Koln livery but I understand the request has been made to do a batch in Manchester livery, (like the batch of Koln K4000 that were done in Croydon Livery) however if/when that will happen I don't know...

The Mark Hughes kit creates an undetailed original spec T68 (1000 series) although with a bit of bodging and detailing can create any of the T68 and T68a fleets (1000 and 2000 seriess).

The two fleets have undergone a lot of mods recently - so dependant on when you're modelling, they'll be kitted out different. As ever, look at LOTS of prototype phots before proceeding!

• 2 weeks later...

This replaced a white metal / brass kit (which made up into a very attractive model - but was rather heavy). It was offered in 2 versions - static kit, with full interior detail - and the standard version, which could be motorized.

The original kit was designed to use 2 Tenshodo / Hanazono WB26 SPUD motor bogies (I believe they're the same ones that Harrow models used to suggest for some of their 4mm London Underground kits).

This was probably fine on level, straight or gently curved, track. Unfortunately, a number of model tram layouts include sharp curves and slopes - I understand that, on one exhibition layout, these were enough to render the "original style" models inoperable.

I can't see weight being a problem with the new resin kits.

I'm also aware of a card kit (also in 4mm scale) by Alphagraphix - like a number of their kits, it's rather good (and could make a useful "scratch aid").

Been there , done that. It's emphatically not a finescale model but it can be done.

post-80-127672770972.jpg

Powered by a Tenshodo - not good , but at that time there was no Beetle so small. Bogie sideframes whitemetal castings obtained from Mark Hughes. Windows cut out and reinforcing provided with smoky acetate glazing glued in place with cyano . Pantogreaph Sommerfelt and written up at some length for a society journal.

Actaully succeeding with this on my own gave me a huge amount of confidence...

• 7 months later...

As stated by Mark and Huw, there is the Mark Hughes kit which can be made to represent either of the first two batches of cars (10xx / 20xx number series).

For the new Bombardier M5000 trams (30xx series), they are a basically a copy of the Koln (Colone) K5000 series of which there is an HO scale model available from Halling. Currently only available in Koln livery but I understand the request has been made to do a batch in Manchester livery, (like the batch of Koln K4000 that were done in Croydon Livery) however if/when that will happen I don't know...

Hey, the new cars are now available - I seen one in the shop at the tramway in Heaton Park were expensive tho.

• 2 weeks later...

There is a place where you can order Dummy and motored trams, but a) It's only the 3000 series, b)I forgot the place :(

Perhaps you are thinking of East Lancs Model Tramway supplies (see http://homepages.tesco.net/j.d.whitehouse2/). I believe East Lancs carry HO scale Halling models of the modern Metrolink M5000 type. More information here: http://homepages.tesco.net/j.d.whitehouse2/metrolink.html.

Hi

I just found this on website called westendonlineshop and they have metrolink manchester model instock a 3001 - HO GAUGE - M5000 MANCHESTER METROLINK TRAM I would love to get one but for £175 is bit too much have anyone brought one or might be getting one.

Hmm...

Interesting that they claim it as an 'Exclusive' and to be 'the only retail outlet' when in fact East Lancs Model Tramway supplies (as mentioned by Roger) who also have the shop at Heaton Park (mentioned by Dan) were the first to stock them... :unsure:

I have seen and handled one (at Heaton Park) and can confirm they are to the high standard of engineering and finish expected of Halling. Trouble is if I did buy one it would have to go on a low loader on a diorama of Hull Docks...

If anyone is thinking of buying, list price is the same for both sources but East Lancs Model Tramway Supplies are asking £4 less for P&P!!

• 1 month later...

Hmm...

Interesting that they claim it as an 'Exclusive' and to be 'the only retail outlet' when in fact East Lancs Model Tramway supplies (as mentioned by Roger) who also have the shop at Heaton Park (mentioned by Dan) were the first to stock them... :unsure:

I have seen and handled one (at Heaton Park) and can confirm they are to the high standard of engineering and finish expected of Halling. Trouble is if I did buy one it would have to go on a low loader on a diorama of Hull Docks...

If anyone is thinking of buying, list price is the same for both sources but East Lancs Model Tramway Supplies are asking £4 less for P&P!!

Model trams weren't on my radar until i saw this in RM....now I've got one under the bed for future project !

They're expensive, but very nice. I went to the shop (West End Models in Colne) and spoke to the chap there. He was involved in the project with ELMTS but wasn't credited on the box. He had some other tram stuff there too, and I picked up a Blackpool EE railcoach kit too ! The model is a little difficult to rail - put it down to three bogies, an articulated design and bogies well hidden under the tram, but is very nice,

To be fair, the sop at Heaton Park has some very limited opening times, the Colne shop is more "normal" shop hours. And it is a very short walk from the station.........Heaton Park a bit of a faff.

• 1 year later...

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/61435-gmml-t-68a-manchester-metrolink-tram/

My first foray into 3D Modelling ... I am currently in the final stages of creating a Manchester Metrolink (Mk II) tram in N Gauge using 3D printing.

The model includes 3D Printed bodys and interior, working articulated centre section with motor bogie, removable coupler cover and coupler draw-bar. It is also (at the moment) being tested with a traditional N Gauge "Rapido" coupler box but this has not yet been tested.

MGalleryItem.php?id=1675

Working articulated section

MGalleryItem.php?id=1940

Cab Front Detail

MGalleryItem.php?id=1941

Rapido Couple Pocket and removable Coupler cover. (since been modified slightly to help alignment of cover).

MGalleryItem.php?id=1942

This has been designed to accept the TU-DEKI-1 motor available from JapanPlaza which should allow DCC'ing if preferred.

I'm also working on creating a OO Gauge version but I currently don't know what motor would/could fit it as I am an N-Gauge modeller personally.

If anyone has any thoughts, suggestions please feel free to reply.

Tony

• 7 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived