The end of max £1 selling fees?

ejstubbs

THey think (quite probably justifiably) that most of their sales are by traders who are running a business selling lots of the same of similar goods.  Their thinking is along the lines of Tesco's maxim of "Pile it high sell it cheap".  They are not really attuned to the needs of those selling second hand goods including model railways, collectable antiques such as railwayana or out of print publications, 

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

Meh, I’m an occasional seller and I’m very happy with eBay. I like managed payments. I like their offers (and I understand them). I can’t be the only one.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

1 hour ago, njee20 said:

Meh, I’m an occasional seller and I’m very happy with eBay. I like managed payments. I like their offers (and I understand them). I can’t be the only one.

Agreed, if prospective sellers don't understand new offers and the like, it only takes a phone call to eBay to provide full clarification. Job done !

Now I really am confused!

I've got an offer of Only 2% Final Value Fees (excludes 30p order-level fees)

and another offer for the same period

Make the most of 50% off variable eBay selling fees*

Get that winning feeling when you clear out and cash in! Make more money on up to 100 listings. Offer ends Monday. This offer excludes a 30p order fee.

• Funny 1

17 hours ago, stovepipe said:

Whereas previously, and for those private individiuals who are still not on managed accounts, the Final Value Fee was/is defined as 10% of the total transaction value.

So they've redefined Final Value Fee - a well understood aspect of ebay - to something else which includes a fixed element, but not for everyone, and ditched that term in their marketing, for the much more nebulous sounding 'variable sales fee' , which sounds like it includes other things.

I'm suprised you can't see the problem for casual ebayers, like myself.

Yes, but only because the additional fees for accepting Paypal payments are now included. I agree they have made it confusing, but the basic fees haven't changed from the previous ebay 10% + Paypal's fixed fee plus percentage (which was about another 3-3.5%)

15 hours ago, sidmouth said:

I think eBay wants in essence to be an Amazonesque marketplace so the likes of many of us as small sellers are inconsequential and can be happily lost 

14 hours ago, Michael Hodgson said:

THey think (quite probably justifiably) that most of their sales are by traders who are running a business selling lots of the same of similar goods.  Their thinking is along the lines of Tesco's maxim of "Pile it high sell it cheap".  They are not really attuned to the needs of those selling second hand goods including model railways, collectable antiques such as railwayana or out of print publications, 

For many years now ebay have pivoted away from being focused on private sellers - but that gap has been filled by Facebook, Vinted, Shpock etc. However, for model railways, ebay still achieves more consistent sales and is worth the hassle. It's a personal choice and other sites are available but I'm not sure I would want to bother trying to sell, for example, a set of P4 wheels of Facebook.

• Agree 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 28/05/2021 at 18:47, YesTor said:

Fixed selling fee = 30p (which will always be charged no matter what the final value less any additional offers that may be applied)

Variable selling fee = 12.8% on the final value

How complicated can that be?

More complicated than just making it 13% with no fee...

11 hours ago, Sir TophamHatt said:

More complicated than just making it 13% with no fee...

Except for the fact that the offer in question, which certain members were sent, was effectively capped at 2% of the final selling fee on all sales over £30.

The 30p selling fee is additional to the FSF.

Edited by Black 5 Bear
Typo
  • Agree 1

One benefit of using PayPal as a seller, was that they sent an email alert when someone paid for an item.

Does eBay do the same now? Otherwise it means polling one's bank to determine when it's 'safe'

to despatch an item.

The Nim.

33 minutes ago, Nimbus said:

One benefit of using PayPal as a seller, was that they sent an email alert when someone paid for an item.

Does eBay do the same now? Otherwise it means polling one's bank to determine when it's 'safe'

to despatch an item.

The Nim.

eBay do exactly the same as PayPal have done for years with an immediate notification when a buyer pays for an item. It usually takes 24-48hrs for monies to be paid from eBay into the nominated personal bank account.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Black 5 Bear said:

eBay do exactly the same as PayPal have done for years with an immediate notification when a buyer pays for an item. It usually takes 24-48hrs for monies to be paid from eBay into the nominated personal bank account.

Indeed, but I suppose it means some sellers will take the view that Possession is 9/10 of the Law and wait until ebay has put the money into their sticky little mitts before mailing the goods.  

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Black 5 Bear said:

I didnt get any notifications on my recent sales - I checked and found they'd sold and been paid already! I did get one when the funds were transferred though and hadn't changed any settings in between.

9 hours ago, Sir TophamHatt said:

Have received an 80% off variable selling fees offer the last few days.

Still don't like it that I won't easily know how much I'll pay in the end.

80% of the normal 12.8% selling fee plus the 30p order fee.

Best wait for a 2% final sale fee offer !

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Black 5 Bear said:

80% of the normal 12.8% selling fee plus the 30p order fee.

Best wait for a 2% final sale fee offer !

80% off or 20% of!

Which is about the same as 2% compared to 12.8%!

19 hours ago, Hal Nail said:

I didnt get any notifications on my recent sales - I checked and found they'd sold and been paid already! I did get one when the funds were transferred though and hadn't changed any settings in between.

If you'd previously turned off item sold messages as I had - since Paypal were also telling me I'd been paid - you now need to turn them back on or you won't get notified. 

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Me too, with the proviso that I sign up to the new payment system first (no surprise there of course, that 's the new Ts & Cs).

• RMweb Gold

I don't understand the reluctance to give EBay (or anyone else for that matter) bank details.

When we sent cheques (remember them?) all our bank details (name, branch, sort code, account number) were clearly printed on each cheque.  The same details that are now held close to people's chest!

• Like 1
  • Agree 8

On 29/05/2021 at 09:47, njee20 said:

Like you I don't sell every week and if I do sell items, not many at one time

The offer has to be beneficial to both parties. 10% fees against other options is still good but on high value items  it can rack up, on the other hand selling an item for £100+ for £1, solely benefits the seller. I see the maximum fee of £3 a happy medium and is something I am happy to wait for and use, whilst happy to pay 10% for lower value items

Lets face it many of the items we are selling would fetch very much less if anything at all if eBay did not exist

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

On 14/06/2021 at 19:14, Michael Hodgson said:

Indeed, but I suppose it means some sellers will take the view that Possession is 9/10 of the Law and wait until ebay has put the money into their sticky little mitts before mailing the goods.  

If that's how they want it to work they need to stick to Facebook or Gumtree. Sellers set up their timescales for despatch when configuring listings; longer despatch times lead to lower rankings in listing preferences, but once ebay had notified you the sale is made and funds are on the way, a seller must send within the committed timescale or risk the wrath of the algorithms. Sellers that fail to notify of an item being sent run this risk too...

• RMweb Premium

This is what has annoyed a lot regarding this Managed Payments business, the delay of between two and eight days between sale, payment made by the purchaser and the money actually being in the sellers hand.

No other business would send items immediately in the hope that the buyer is honest and the payment may turn up later.

In this day and age of almost instant payments and money transfers across the world, it is a huge backward step, its taking us back to the mid 1980's when cheques were king and took two weeks to clear, assuming they didn't have that certain rubbery feel to them...

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, John M Upton said:

This is what has annoyed a lot regarding this Managed Payments business, the delay of between two and eight days between sale, payment made by the purchaser and the money actually being in the sellers hand.

There is a payment delay if you sell privately on Amazon. It has never bothered me, but I don't do it very often now as I am not very fond of the fee system, particularly in relation to postage.