The end of max £1 selling fees?

ejstubbs

8 hours ago, John M Upton said:

Emphasis on sometimes though.  No Postie has collected a signature off anyone for the thick end of eighteen months now and I can't see that changing anytime soon.

The RM is still miles better than all the other so called professional parcel delivery firms, all of which I would not touch with a twenty metre barge pole!

John

I certainly agree with you that in taking everything into consideration, the Royal Mail not only lads the way its also still offering the best value providing the item is not too big or heavy

Recently had deliveries from PDP, Yodel and Amazon, all of which were excellent and could not be faulted. Sadly still waiting for a Hermes delivery for something I bought 8 days ago, part of the issue may be with the lacklustre attitude of the trader 

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, Ruffnut Thorston said:

These days, if you post an item at a Post Office, and ask for proof of postage, you get a receipt with a code on it. That code can be used to check on delivery using the Post Office tracking system. It even works sometimes. 

It works for parcels, but not generally for Large Letters.

I agree RM service is very good.  Two recent items sent 2nd class have been delivered next day.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

EBay must be getting desperate.  I have not sold anything now for around eighteen months and then two weeks ago I received an email offering a $1.00 final value fee on the next two items sold (initially the email header stated that the sale would be free but they then sent a correction email several days later).  I ignored it.  Now it is up to the next five items listed and sold.  I have not received a reduced selling fee email for several years.  I am a disappointment to them as I have failed my power seller status by not offering items for sale since early last year.

3 hours ago, GWR-fan said:

EBay must be getting desperate.  I have not sold anything now for around eighteen months and then two weeks ago I received an email offering a $1.00 final value fee on the next two items sold (initially the email header stated that the sale would be free but they then sent a correction email several days later).  I ignored it.  Now it is up to the next five items listed and sold.  I have not received a reduced selling fee email for several years.  I am a disappointment to them as I have failed my power seller status by not offering items for sale since early last year.

The £1 max selling fee is a very good offer and perhaps a bit of a lost leader. Now I don't  think eBay will go bust if a few of us stop selling or even use this offer.

The latest offers I have received is 80% off final selling fees, now to me this is still great value and not much more than the £1 max infact for lower value items its cheaper as the discount applies to all sales

I have just sold something for £57 and its coat me £1.76, still a great offer and not far off what I would have paid eBay & PayPal in the past. I sold another thing for £13 and it cost me 63p far cheaper than £1 max + PayPal, these figures include postage I charged 

• Agree 2

I have just checked that under the old system an item  with postage costing £76 with £! max fees + Paypal fees had charges of £3.88

Under the 80% reduction offer an item selling at £81 inc postage the total fees were £2.37.

I rather have the new system fees

• Agree 1

On 07/07/2021 at 23:11, John M Upton said:

The RM is still miles better than all the other so called professional parcel delivery firms, all of which I would not touch with a twenty metre barge pole!

And yet in 50+ items with Hermes, I have only had one where the courier couldn't find the address, which was a weird flat in central London.

But I'm fairly sure the last mile courier has a lot of influence over whether the parcel gets delivered or not.

Edited by Sir TophamHatt

5 minutes ago, Sir TophamHatt said:

And yet in 50+ items with Hermes, I have only had one where the courier couldn't find the address, which was a weird flat in central London.

But I'm fairly sure the last mile courier has a lot of influence over whether the parcel gets delivered or not.

You are spot on there, I have always said the proposition is very good

However

1   As you say its down to the last link in the chain and they seemingly have more issues than the rest put together

2  Try and contact their customer services, its almost impossible to contact anyone

3  Most importantly if you have to claim try and easily get the correct level of compensation, many have to resort to taking them to court

I had a delivery cancelled for Saturday, no reason, thankfully delivered on sunday

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, hayfield said:

Quite often the save 80% on selling fees is a better deal if selling lower value items

Agreed.

I recently sold a boxed Dapol ex Airfix Stanier coach from a 99p start at a disappointingly low price of 3.20 plus 3.20 postage.    You win a few, you lose a few, and I had calculated the eBay fee would only be 0.47, based on 30p plus 80% reduction on 12.8% of the sale price, which would have bettered a one pound maximum fees offer.  Unfortunately, my listing had inadvertently missed the deadline for the fee discount and eBay deducted 1.12 in fees, leaving me with net sale proceeds of just 2.08.       I have bought some rolling stock on eBay this weekend so expect to be eligible for the one pound maximum fee offer but I won't be taking up the offer unless I decide to sell a higher value item.

• Friendly/supportive 1

I don't begrudge paying eBay their commission, but like everyone else happy to take advantage of any offers

What people forget is that in most cases they are getting a retail price and not only that but an introduction to a trading platform far better than any swap meets/club sales

Traditional auction houses normally are very selective in what they will take on and charge sellers & buyers 20%+ commission. Most of the stuff I buy and sell I would find it difficult to do

Where would you find an Albian Models etched brass kit for a M&SWJR 4-4-0, let alone for £40 ? Or sell 5 packs of DJH 7mm scale whitemetal point rodding stools. I was happy to pay full price on these 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, cessna152towser said:

Agreed.

I recently sold a boxed Dapol ex Airfix Stanier coach from a 99p start at a disappointingly low price of 3.20 plus 3.20 postage.    You win a few, you lose a few, and I had calculated the eBay fee would only be 0.47, based on 30p plus 80% reduction on 12.8% of the sale price, which would have bettered a one pound maximum fees offer.  Unfortunately, my listing had inadvertently missed the deadline for the fee discount and eBay deducted 1.12 in fees, leaving me with net sale proceeds of just 2.08.       I have bought some rolling stock on eBay this weekend so expect to be eligible for the one pound maximum fee offer but I won't be taking up the offer unless I decide to sell a higher value item.

As you say, you win some, you lose some but I have found that for common-or-garden items it's worth starting auctions at a price you could live with if sold, or just list as a cheap Buy-it-Now. Ironically, desirable stuff is a safer bet at 99p start - a Bachmann superdetail loco will have plenty of people piling in if it kicks off at that price 

• Agree 2

10 hours ago, Michael Hodgson said:

It's back !

But now you have to buy something on ebay in order to qualify.

Had the same one, I wasnt selling when I didn't have to buy something, hardly likely to suddenly buy something to just enjoy not selling anything for a pound.

• Agree 2

13 hours ago, woodenhead said:

Had the same one, I wasnt selling when I didn't have to buy something, hardly likely to suddenly buy something to just enjoy not selling anything for a pound.

I guess they have a program which looks at your activity, whether its buying or selling. My daughter plays off 3 of the online delivery firms simply to save on the delivery charge, I guess eBay has programs designed to increase your buying and or selling activities. For eBay to make money they need both buyers and sellers, encouraging you to buy to obtain a selling discount means they may make their commission at the point of buying not selling

As for having to buy something within a 2 or 3 week window, many would have bought something anyway. Last night I won/bought an auction item, I never even considered this offer when making a bid. As it was I paid about 75% of my maximum bid, which was a benefit in itself. The only issue is when and how I can use this selling benefit. Can one pick and chose when to use it ?

• 3 weeks later...