The end of max £1 selling fees?

ejstubbs

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, hayfield said:

I received an offer today, gone is the 80% reduction, now its 70% reduction (Inflation!!!)

I got the same offer today.

I have seven items which I want to sell.

The one pound maximum fees offer which was promised during the time slot when I last sold stuff is supposed to start on Monday, but is only valid for three items.

I need to guesstimate on how much each item might sell for at auction and then work out which four are best to list today and which three should be held back till next week.

Edited by cessna152towser
  • Agree 1

• 1 year later...

Resurrecting this moribund thread: for at least the last 12 months, my wife and I have been receiving reduced selling fee offers every few weeks, on the same weekends.  She always gets the maximum £1 fee offer while I only ever get the 80% off fees offer.  The breakpoint between the two is at around £27 the total of the selling price plus postage (fees are 12.8% plus 30p), which is OK for small items but less great for items in the upper double figure range like locos.

In terms of eBay usage, I sell a fair amount more than she does, and more rgularly (though I've been "on strike" for several months now, waiting to see if they ever come back to me with the better offer).  I also buy more off eBay than she does, which they must know earns them fees from the sellers.

I have set up a second account which, when I get round to it, I will use to test the water by listing a few low cost items, and see if eBay starts offering maximum £1 selling fees on that account.

(I have a not dissimilar issue with Amazon at the moment.  For some reason they have taken to offering me regular free trials of Amazon Prime Student.  I am not a student, and even if I was I would need to be registered with a .ac.uk e-mail address to qualify, which I'm not.  Why they keep offering me something which a moment's glance at my account would show that I' not eligible for I have no idea.  What's galling is that they no longer offer me occasional free trials of ordinary Amazon Prime.  They seem to have got it into their head that I am a student for no reason at all, and I haven't a clue how to disabuse them of that idea.)

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

I've been getting 80% fee reduction every two weeks now since about August last year. I've been doing quite a bit of selling over the last few months - more than 60 items - and have always managed to do so with the lower cost fees. I do remember having had the £1 offer but that was a long time ago now.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

I suspect those that have an irregular selling history are getting the £1 fee offer.  I haven't sold on eBay for a while, and I regularly receive the £1 selling fee email.  This morning it was "no more than £1".

Steve

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, RFS said:

I've been getting 80% fee reduction every two weeks now since about August last year. I've been doing quite a bit of selling over the last few months - more than 60 items - and have always managed to do so with the lower cost fees. I do remember having had the £1 offer but that was a long time ago now.

There are a few of points to take into consideration

80% off fees cab be cheaper than £1 max fees on lower value items

eBay must make profits to survive, so its in both the buyers and sellers interest that eBay stays profitable

Traditional Auction houses charge 18% or more to both buyers and sellers and do not reach as many potential buyers

The best thing of all is that as far as the kit builder is concerned many of the items that in the past were thought as worthless now have an active market place, especially as there are less Model Shops and fewer shows over the past two or three years. Secondly some model shops are waking up to a new customer base, especially for certain s/h items

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hayfield said:

80% off fees cab be cheaper than £1 max fees on lower value items

As I noted above, the crossover point is at £27.34 (sold price plus postage charged) - anything above that then the maximum £1 offer is better than the 80% off offer.

5 hours ago, 55020 said:

I suspect those that have an irregular selling history are getting the £1 fee offer.  I haven't sold on eBay for a while, and I regularly receive the £1 selling fee email.  This morning it was "no more than £1".

Steve

I have a second ebay account for historical reasons, on which I hardly ever sell anything and I don't get £1 offer in that

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Michael Hodgson said:

I have a second ebay account for historical reasons, on which I hardly ever sell anything and I don't get £1 offer in that

Having said that, I' ve just got now !!  Not that many of my sales on that account actually hit the £1 fee level anyway.

But it's 70% off on my main account 😵  Anything I expect to sell for more than a tenner gets listed on this account, and only when they are doing the discount.

There's clearly some sort of optimisation routine working out what level of fee revenue I am generating when it comes to deciding what discount (if any) to offer me.  I have had discounts on one account and not the other quite often too.  I don't think there's a way of transferring a draft listing from one account to another which I would ideally use to take advantage of th better offer.

• Like 1