Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Getting other people to pay for you to build for your dream model layout

It's fine really. A bit cheeky, and I can't see why anyone would donate, but if it is presented as "help fund my train set" then if anyone does donate then that's up to them.

Though my view on actually donating would be the classic quote that "a fool and their money are easily parted".

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

I had one of these appear on one of the FB Groups I admin a while back. I deleted it. It reappeared, so I deleted it again. Next thing, I got a VERY abusive PM from the perpetrator...

...said perp was immediately blocked from that Group and every other Group I admin. :butcher:

Life's too short to put up with carp like that... :triniti:

Mark

• Like 5
  • Agree 4
  • Round of applause 1

15 hours ago, boxbrownie said:

Crowd funding....hmmm.....I still haven’t recovered from when I was about eight and Blue Peter (the programme) asked for donations for the rebuilding of the Blue Peter locomotive, I saved and sent off my £5 for the restoration and received a certificate saying I had a “piece of it”.......now what’s happened? Nothing, nada....

Grumpy and sulking...who me?

:D

Your piece fell off when crossing the viaduct at Durham !!!

Brit15

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

It sounds a bit like those begging adverts that appear in the Private Eye classifieds under "Eye Help" - things like "Struggling farmer needs £1000 to rebuild collapsing sheep pen" followed by a sort code and account number.  I believe someone at Private Eye once commented that they had no idea whether they worked or not, but people kept paying for the adverts so he supposed that at least some of them did...

Richard

EDIT As soon as I hit "post" I thought - now there's an idea!

Edited by RichardT
Espirit d'escalier
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
42 minutes ago, APOLLO said:

Your piece fell off when crossing the viaduct at Durham !!!

Brit15

I had never seen that before, and actually never knew about the incident......maybe I should have sent £10? :D

But on a serious note I understand the engine driver sustained serious injuries during the effort to stop the runaway power surge, under those circumstances the Loco really doesn’t matter does it.

• Friendly/supportive 2

Hi all,

I could go for this. Need to co-ordinate the steps you are going to take. Should be in this order.

1 Set up crowdfunding page one. This to pay for the new house to build my dream layout in. About £180,000 will do for the area I live in.

2 Set up crowd funding page to pay for the removals men. Use only a good quality firm. This difference in cost is worth it. especially as you are not paying for it. Price may vary but expect your donors to pay about £4000-5000.

3 Set up crowd funding page to pay for the conversion of allocated room/loft in to a workable railway room. About £15,000 should do.

4 Set up crowd funding page to pay for the inevitable redecorating phase that SWMBO will insist on after the move. Now that's a piece of string point.

5 Set up the crowd funding page to pay for all the new furniture that SWMBO will want to go with the new house as of course everything you already have will just not go with the new decorating. I refer to step 4 regarding the cost.

6 Set up crowd funding page to pay for the new layout. I am old school so it will be cheaper than most as it will not be DCC. Say £20.000.

There you go easy peasy. Just ask them all for about £250.000 and see the pounds roll in. And when you wake from this lovely dream try not to be too disappointed with the reality...... LOL

Edited by cypherman
  • Funny 8

On 14/05/2021 at 16:16, Steven B said:

Surely setting up a GoFundMe type page to ask for donations to help you build your layout is little different to going to your Club's committee asking for funds to build a new club layout, but with the cash coming from friends, family and well wishers rather than other club members.

I can sort of see the similarity, but I don't see it as quite the same.  The model railway club that I'm the secretary of tends not to build layouts that align with my interests.  Our next layout will be 009, a scale / gauge that I don't model in.  However, although this is being paid for from club funds, to which I contribute, I still get something out of it insofar as I can still operate the layout both in the clubroom and at exhibitions, even although it's not my stock that is running on it.

My birthday and Christmas presents from my family are generally related to my hobby and will one day run on my layout, but trying to elicit contributions from strangers, which is what is being assumed here, isn't something that I'd support.  That said, I have nothing against people 'chancing their arm' and seeing whether anyone will give them money.  I've also nothing against those who choose to donate to such 'chancers': I just wouldn't do it myself.

On 14/05/2021 at 15:43, Flying Pig said:

I have no idea what you mean. Please explain in words (no pictures).

It is a site for the degenerates who want to see more of me than common decency (or common sense) normally allows.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

On 14/05/2021 at 18:20, boxbrownie said:

Crowd funding....hmmm.....I still haven’t recovered from when I was about eight and Blue Peter (the programme) asked for donations for the rebuilding of the Blue Peter locomotive, I saved and sent off my £5 for the restoration and received a certificate saying I had a “piece of it”.......now what’s happened? Nothing, nada....

Grumpy and sulking...who me?

:D

Blue Peters current, very extensive overhaul is very advanced. It should return to the mainline in the next year or so. :rolleyes:

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

The only time I've contributed directly to someone elses layout was for Market Deeping, but that was a totally different set of circumstances

Ye may well jest, but watch people willingly give money to the youtube 'celebrities/influencers'........

• Agree 1

There seems to be a lot of money to be made by being an "influencer", which actually seems to mean a social media advertiser. Which amongst other things means it's quite hard to work out who's impartial and who's doing paid advertising when you're looking at things like YouTube reviews.

But quite what that has to do with attempting to crowd fund a train set I'm not sure.

On 17/05/2021 at 09:42, LaGrange said:

Ye may well jest, but watch people willingly give money to the youtube 'celebrities/influencers'........

That's a little different from just outright asking for your layout to be funded by others. The YouTuber is producing something that other people consume. In principle, it's no different from an actor, writer, TV presenter or musician getting paid - it's just more direct. Hence my suggestion that a better way to e-beg is to produce something in return, e.g. a blog, a video, even something like an E-book. That way, other people can get something from your hobby. 

There's an astonishing number of YouTube channels based around hobbies. I think it's partly because people are looking for information, but also people just enjoy watching other people engage in their hobbies. It's a bit like being an armchair modeller.

On 18/05/2021 at 08:43, Zomboid said:

Which amongst other things means it's quite hard to work out who's impartial and who's doing paid advertising when you're looking at things like YouTube reviews.

The YouTube rules demand that paid promotion is clearly stated within the video. They come down on you like a ton of bricks if they find out that you've accepted sponsorship without declaring it. Hence you'll often see YouTubers frantically explaining when they haven't been sponsored by a company they endorse.

Edited by HonestTom
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, HonestTom said:

That's a little different from just outright asking for your layout to be funded by others. The YouTuber is producing something that other people consume. In principle, it's no different from an actor, writer, TV presenter or musician getting paid - it's just more direct. Hence my suggestion that a better way to e-beg is to produce something in return, e.g. a blog, a video, even something like an E-book. That way, other people can get something from your hobby. You might even say that you

The YouTube rules demand that paid promotion is clearly stated within the video. They come down on you like a ton of bricks if they find out that you've accepted sponsorship without declaring it. Hence you'll often see YouTubers frantically explaining when they haven't been sponsored by a company they endorse.

One in particular doesn't actually do any modelling or give tips, they go off the comments people are making on the live stream, nothing more, and yet people are happy to contribute financially. Playing trains and not model railways. Like a little commune, I'd rather pull my fingernails out with a pliers than engage again

• Like 1

On 14/05/2021 at 16:54, Nearholmer said:

I learn something every day!

This actually happens? People give other people money to spend on their hobby, simply for the asking?

Why?

(If it was a kid starting out, and they hadn't been so cheeky as to ask, yes, I would, but ........)

The only time I had a hobby that was entirely paid for by other peope was when I was active in a local drama group. We were pretty good so financed ourselves entirely from box office receipts and didn't even charge membership fees. The audiences did expect us to not mumble, to remember our lines and to not bump into the furniture* though.  We used to get a lot of awards and several of our members went on to be professional actors so I think we gave our audiences value for their money.  Actually, thinking about it,  we did have to buy our own scipts from French's (the Theatre Bookshop) so it wasn't absolutely free. 

*The fundamental skills of the actor!

Edited by Pacific231G
  • Like 3

On 18/05/2021 at 08:43, Zomboid said:

There seems to be a lot of money to be made by being an "influencer", which actually seems to mean a social media advertiser. Which amongst other things means it's quite hard to work out who's impartial and who's doing paid advertising when you're looking at things like YouTube reviews.

But quite what that has to do with attempting to crowd fund a train set I'm not sure.

The problem (well, one of the many) with influencers is that there are too many people calling themselves one just because they have a social media page. A true influencer is someone who does something (without being asked or told to) and others then follow. Remember every time David Beckham got a new haircut, millions of young boys wanted to copy it. These days, like you rightly say, these people are social media advertising tools. Where we differ is that I don't think they are advertisers, they are just billboards who people make to slap their brand on. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, HonestTom said:

So where do the youtubers that work for the company they 'influence' fit in?? 

16 hours ago, LaGrange said:

One in particular doesn't actually do any modelling or give tips, they go off the comments people are making on the live stream, nothing more, and yet people are happy to contribute financially. Playing trains and not model railways. Like a little commune, I'd rather pull my fingernails out with a pliers than engage again

It's not my cup of tea either, but if that's what other people find entertaining then it's their money (I have similar opinions on watching sport). However, it's about engagement. YouTube is seen as more intimate than most forms of entertainment, with a more direct connection to the creator. A lot of people want to engage with the creators they like, and that engagement is something YouTube themselves encourage.

12 hours ago, LaGrange said:

So where do the youtubers that work for the company they 'influence' fit in?? 

Unless it's a business account, any form of paid advertising has to be declared.

I am probably showing my age but there used to be a basic set of principals to life. You worked to support yourself and family for both the basics and luxuries of life and you lived within your means. If you wanted something you funded it yourself. It does appear, for no doubt many reasons, that those principals appear to to be in decline. I am not going to judge if that is right or wrong but just as not everyone can be a pop star or top league footballer we cannot all be influencers and YouTube sensations. From conversations with those with teenage and younger children it does appear though that influencers and YT sensations is an off quoted desire by many youngsters. It will be interesting to see how we as a society change over the next few years with the influence of the internet and things like YT. One thing for certain though is just as in my younger years I don't expect anyone else to fund my hobby! 

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Woody C said:

I am probably showing my age but there used to be a basic set of principals to life. You worked to support yourself and family for both the basics and luxuries of life and you lived within your means. 

This is why I don't own and operate a Mk XVI Spitfire!

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

16 hours ago, Woody C said:

From conversations with those with teenage and younger children it does appear though that influencers and YT sensations is an off quoted desire by many youngsters.

I wanted to be a rock star until long after I knew that it was a near impossibility. Reality hits everyone at some point...

To be honest I still like the idea of having people i don't know coming to see me play songs that I've (co-)written, but I'm not holding out much hope...

• Funny 2

• RMweb Gold

Unless you are born into wealth, I have alway considered that the effort, committment, and stress required to become wealthy is not worth the rewards, even when I was young and my peers were dreaming of being rock stars or football heroes.  Wealth certainly does not equate to happiness, though it can make you much more comfortably miserable.  The standard daydream methods are illusory; becoming a rock star for example is in reality a vicious grind of years of relentless touring and studio work which can only be sustained by a cycle of drug abuse, fets or cocaine to get your exhausted body able to perform and heroin or LSD to calm you down aftwards, against a constant backdrop of marijuana to enable you to cope with the stress.  There is a well known list of casualties, your management or recording company often rip you off, and the overwhelming impression I get from the survivors is that they are quizzically grateful to have survived rather than happy because they are rich, and not all of them are rich.  They look as if they have been to hell and back, and some of them have!  It takes years to become an overnight success and there is no such thing as easy money.

This veiwpoint was somewhat challenged in the 80s by the lovely Margaret and her loadsamoney yuppie disciples, but few of them made any lasting impression; it was an investment bubble that led to a world wide recession that we are not really clear of 30 years on.  You should, IMHO (but there are other HOs and I do not claim mine to be compulsory or even advisable) pay your way, not expect anyone else to pay it for you, take responsibility for your actions and their consequences (which include your offspring), and try to leave the world better than you found it if you can, without harming anyone else. 

Asking for crowd funding for an activity that is not a benefit to others and will return no pecuniary advantage to the funders, a hobby that you indulge in for your own enjoyment, does not fit into this philosophy.  I doubt it is a new thing, but the internet element makes it worthy of media comment in a 'look what these crazy tech savvy youngsters are doing now, isn't it marvellous/dreadful' way. 

• Agree 1
  • Round of applause 2