Which readily-available DC controller ...

... gives comparable starting and slow-speed performance to the HM Walkabout when used with modern (last 10 years or so) RTR steam-outline 00 locomotives?  Walkabout facility preferred but not essential.

• RMweb Premium
22 minutes ago, spikey said:

... gives comparable starting and slow-speed performance to the HM Walkabout when used with modern (last 10 years or so) RTR steam-outline 00 locomotives?  Walkabout facility preferred but not essential.

Here's a guide to choosing a controller. Gaugemaster have 3 walkabouts.

https://www.gaugemasterretail.com/magento/rightlines-article/choosing-your-next-controller.html

Cheers Kevin but I'm after users' recommendations rather than a shop's suggestions as to what I might buy from them.  I know it's an outrageous suspicion,  but I can't help thinking that just possibly there might be some overlap between what a shop suggests and what it wants to sell ...

• Funny 1

I've recently switched from Gaugemaster to a (second hand) Fleischman (I'm using N Gauge.) 

I can't recall the model number and I'm not at home at the moment, it's probably on another post of mine.  At any rate, my main reason for converting was nostalgia for the "centre stop dial control" feature, as opposed to Gaugemaster's "flick the switch every time you change direction!"

55 minutes ago, spikey said:

Cheers Kevin but I'm after users' recommendations rather than a shop's suggestions as to what I might buy from them.  I know it's an outrageous suspicion,  but I can't help thinking that just possibly there might be some overlap between what a shop suggests and what it wants to sell ...

Gaugemaster everyday.

I wouldn't bother with anything else. The fact they have the lifetime guarantee speaks volumes.

Slightly expensive. But you won't need to buy another one.

Jason

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

41 minutes ago, Ray Von said:

I've recently switched from Gaugemaster to a (second hand) Fleischman (I'm using N Gauge.)   I can't recall the model number and I'm not at home at the moment, it's probably on another post of mine.  At any rate, my main reason for converting was nostalgia for the "centre stop dial control" feature, as opposed to Gaugemaster's "flick the switch every time you change direction!"

It looks like it's a Fleishmann Transformator 6730, based on the photograph in your post on this thread

Quite a few 'votes' for Gaugemaster in that thread, although Morley are also mentioned as worth looking at.

• Like 1

OK ... I was hoping for specific controller recommendations rather than brands, but thanks anyhow.  I'll stick with my Morley Vector Zero Two until such time as somebody convinces me that a change will get me more gradual starting together with slow speed control that's at least as good as I have at present.

I think the problem is that most of us don't have experience with multiple controllers - I certainly have no experience of either an H&M Walkabout or a Morley Vector Zero Two.  That therefore means that I can't comment on whether any particular Gaugemaster model is better than either of these controllers.  All I can say is that the club I'm a member of uses Gaugemaster controllers for all our club layouts - generally the Model W (https://www.gaugemasterretail.com/magento/model-railways/gaugemaster-controls-brand5/gaugemaster-gmc-w.html) and these seem to provide perfectly acceptable slow speed control with most locomotives.  Where that's not the case, it's as likely to be the motor or gearbox in the locomotive that is the issue, as the controller. 

• Thanks 1

I have tried a wide range of controllers over the years - starting with a battery pack in 1964 for my Hornby Dublo train set and  my first "serious" controller being a Duette for a birthday in 1970. Boy was I pleased with it...and it is still in bench use. I graduated from that to a Codar that seemed very advanced at the time and several other makes were also experimented with, the names of which I would have to think about as some came and went. Certainly the Gaugemaster controllers are a good reliable option, and I eventually settled on dual switched panel mounted Orbits, which are still in use, and Gaugemasters with brakes, but I kept looking at others, including some PWM ones, none of which seemed to suit me. A year or so ago I bought a Morley Vector Crawler and it did everything I wanted from it, its only drawback for me being a centre off knob control, which I like, that did not have a positive off notch - it being too easy to overturn it.

I was ready to replace the Gaugemaster with this one, but its performance reminded me of the H&M 3000, which I used in the eighties - a marvellous controller but rather unergonomic, and eventually discarded for the panel mounted Orbits and GM's, so I dug out the 3000 and was knocked out by its handling of modern mechanisms and levels of control with it. I retro fiited my two under my control panel and passed the Vector on to a fellow modeller who is delighted with it. Using the 3000 again reminded me of the Walkabout - mine died years ago- and watched ebay till some appeared. Two lucky punts on sold as seen reintroduced me to the wonders of this handheld  for twenty pounds or so each, and I am delighted with both versions. The only thing I've noticed with them is that they don't seem to handle the Heljan GW shunters very well but are fine with their diesels - these locos are switched to the Orbit. Both 3000 and Walkabouts show up from time to time on ebay and it may be worth keeping an eye out for them as they usually go for reasonable prices if you are hankering after this type of controller.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

My reccent experiences suggest you should at least take a look at Hornby's new HM6000 controller.  I never thought I would ever recommend a Hornby controller, but here I am doing so!  This is a more or less standard DC controller that is operated via Bluetooth from your smartphone or tablet by a free downloadable app.  If has finger sliders on your phone screen.  I am still getting the 'feel' of mine but it is certainly capable of very smooth starts and stops, the accelleration and decellleration inertia can be set for each ciruit, and minimum/maximum speeds can be preset, and it has the major advantage of not only working as a walkabout, but as an untethered one.  The basic kit is not expensive and controls two circuits, but the addon units for operating accessories if you were to go down that road would soon add up, especially as each needs as power supply and only Hornby's, at £20 a pop, will fit.  It is not overly battery draining on your phone or tablet.

It controls my fleet very well, all recent can motor steam outline models, but struggles with an ancient Airfix large prairie, for which I revert to my old faithful Gaugemaster Power Controller, 40+ years in service and it'll outlast me.  One cannot use the two controllers in the same circuit however or the HM6000 will overload and report a short; the GM must have it's direction switch centred.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

What models do you want to control?

I have never seen a "proper" H&M (ie, not an "H&M by Hornby") with decent slow speed control. They are ok for heavy loads but seem to jump from stationary to fairly fast. They seem better suited to Hornby Dublo.

80s Lima works well with a feedback controller. Gaugemaster's HH is pretty good.

Coreless & newer motors don't like feedback (& it will damage a DCC decoder, just in case you buy anything 'DCC Fitted'). These run better from a Gaugemaster W.

If you want inertia, then the model WS has a brake feature but it is not as good as it used to be (the thumb wheel has changed to a button) & this was never as usable as the cased/panel mount version.

I have not used a Morley controller, but I understand the handhelds are not separate controllers but remote controls for the cased version & this is a more expensive controller. I also saw a detailed comparison of this v the Gaugemaster. The Gaugemaster had better slow speed performance but it caused the motor to buzz. The Morley allowed the motor to run more quietly but the minimum speed was higher. There is a newer version which works better at lower speeds but I believes this sacrifices top speed.

• Like 2

The Hammant and Morgan  3000 and Walkabout were a step change in their controllers and a different generation  to the main range. It's a pity their problems and Hornby's acquisition of the brand name di9dn't result in their continuity.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

6 hours ago, Pete the Elaner said:

Hornby and Bachmann steam-outline "smaller" locos (up to 2-6-0) made in the last 15 years.  Not in the least interested in top speed: I'm one of those folk who have never understood why manufacturers don't use lower gearing.  I have no coreless motors unless the Hatton' s P Class or the Hornby Ruston have one. 

All I'm really after is the best slow start and crawl that I can reasonably expect without going to DCC, which is not an option.

• RMweb Premium
21 hours ago, spikey said:

OK ... I was hoping for specific controller recommendations rather than brands, but thanks anyhow.  I'll stick with my Morley Vector Zero Two until such time as somebody convinces me that a change will get me more gradual starting together with slow speed control that's at least as good as I have at present.

Unlikely to get much better, as that is a relatively modern controller.

Fact is, there is no longer much development on DC controllers, as it's a mature market, with zero growth, if any.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
On 15/05/2021 at 17:06, Steamport Southport said:

Gaugemaster everyday.

I wouldn't bother with anything else. The fact they have the lifetime guarantee speaks volumes.

Slightly expensive. But you won't need to buy another one.

We each speak as we find, which is what the OP wanted. My only Gaugemaster controller was an O Gauge one, used for HO DC where I sometimes double-headed. It blew up - complete with real bang when the electrolytic exploded - when nothing on the layout was moving. 

It was instrumental in my move to DCC in 1997. I have not looked back.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, kevinlms said:

Fact is, there is no longer much development on DC controllers, as it's a mature market, with zero growth, if any.

Well, Morley are still developing their ranges and the Hornby HM 6000 looks a promising innovation. You could say battery power is a DC system, and while it is a bit like cold fusion at the moment, always round the corner, its day will come. I don't think DC is a goner yet.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
On 16/05/2021 at 06:50, spikey said:

Hornby and Bachmann steam-outline "smaller" locos (up to 2-6-0) made in the last 15 years. 
(snip)

All I'm really after is the best slow start and crawl that I can reasonably expect without going to DCC, which is not an option.

You’ll get good results from a Gaugemaster W controller, which will need a transformer too. My H&M walkabout lasted for years and finally broke down at a Warley exhibition. I went across to the Gaugemaster stand and asked for their recommendations and they were the W and HH (feedback). I chose the W and haven’t looked back. They’re not as good as the walkabout but in my experience a very very close second, (I have two of them).  The HH ( I have one of them), is also very good but if you have coreless motors its unlikely to be compatible with them. If however you know you’re never going to have a coreless motor, they’re worth considering. 

If you want a surprisingly good cheap controller the basic Bachmann train set controller, their 36-565 is worth looking at.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 1 month later...
On 15/05/2021 at 17:10, spikey said:

Looking for the same slow start and crawl to slow running, to replace my

Gaugemaster DF due to motor noise from the feedback, is there a controller

that gives less noise,  how good is the Morley.

• RMweb Premium
On 16/05/2021 at 00:16, Pete the Elaner said:

I have never seen a "proper" H&M (ie, not an "H&M by Hornby") with decent slow speed control. They are ok for heavy loads but seem to jump from stationary to fairly fast. They seem better suited to Hornby Dublo.

80s Lima works well with a feedback controller. Gaugemaster's HH is pretty good.

Coreless & newer motors don't like feedback (& it will damage a DCC decoder, just in case you buy anything 'DCC Fitted'). These run better from a Gaugemaster W.

If you want inertia, then the model WS has a brake feature but it is not as good as it used to be (the thumb wheel has changed to a button) & this was never as usable as the cased/panel mount version.

I have not used a Morley controller, but I understand the handhelds are not separate controllers but remote controls for the cased version & this is a more expensive controller. I also saw a detailed comparison of this v the Gaugemaster. The Gaugemaster had better slow speed performance but it caused the motor to buzz. The Morley allowed the motor to run more quietly but the minimum speed was higher. There is a newer version which works better at lower speeds but I believes this sacrifices top speed.

I have Safety Minor

I now use Gauge master

On 16/05/2021 at 00:16, Pete the Elaner said:

I have never seen a "proper" H&M (ie, not an "H&M by Hornby") with decent slow speed control. They are ok for heavy loads but seem to jump from stationary to fairly fast.

The variable transformer unis were fine for slow running, alas, raely seen thesedays.