JAMIE'S RANDOM AMERICAN RAILWAY PHOTOS.

8 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

And even a BCR loco.  I think an Alco of some description as we passed under the Lions gate bridge.

At the time of your visit Canada still had tax rules that encouraged domestic manufacture of locomotives, so the odds of seeing an actual Alco are quite low.

So for the diesel era EMD created GMDD (in London ON) to make EMD locos in Canada (and there can be subtle differences even before getting into things like CN's safety cab) and MLW (Montreal Locomotive Works, sold to Bombardier in 1988) created designs based off of Alco products.  CLC (Canadian Locomotive Works) did Baldwin and Fairbanks Morse stuff in Canada for a short period.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, F-UnitMad said:

I note you've captured a gantlet track in those photos - presumably for a weighbridge, with the scales in the white hut. 

I had no idea but it looks likely.

Jamie

• RMweb Premium

Good moaning again, it's not as warm today so a bit more comfortable.   However we are still at Squamish on 13th June 1978. The Royal Hudson was ready to set off so it was time to get back on the train.  The journey was just as scenic on the way back.

1623079692_Slides1978A-15003.jpg.4a03df6d8eb56d1ab35a6445a3804353.jpg

At North Vancouver  I got a chance to visit the cab.  This panel that allowed the engineer to control diesels was of interest.

680575961_Slides1978A-15005.jpg.cad03a052cf94eb25c15efb3f521182f.jpg

As were the engineers controls.305188402_Slides1978A-15006.jpg.e6e65c1e9549a39efe442c8d1eec1041.jpg

I also needed to get an idea of the size of the driving wheels so Beverley (Yes another one) acted as a size comparison for me.

2004518659_Slides1978A-15007.jpg.cca279a647e134cd319ff452ae11c37e.jpg

She then gave me a bit of a tour of the city.  One of the places we went to was Stanley Park and the totem poles.  26 years later on a silver wedding trip, my wife and I visited again.  Beth thought they looked rather nice.  I replied, "Don't you remember them"  There was then an icy voice near my right ear which said, "It wasn't me that you came here with when you first saw them".  Doh.

536522223_Slides1978A-15014.jpg.02172eb089db581de8d7fd2c21fa75f4.jpg

Anyway I was dropped back at my aunt's in time for them to take me our for a lovely meal at the Old Cannery that looks down the harbour to Stanley Park.  The next day was departure day and Phil and Marj took me in to town.  The Canadian still departed from the centre of town from the old CP terminus.

1137098808_Slides1978A-15021.jpg.10ea73425f10ff77c277d352b17c242b.jpg

Another lovely city, now for another long train ride.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 15
  • Funny 2

10 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

Anyway I was dropped back at my aunt's in time for them to take me our for a lovely meal at the Old Cannery that looks down the harbour to Stanley Park. 

Very lucky you! 

Unfortunately, you’ve used the wrong tense. The Cannery was closed several years ago, as the dock area is now behind security barriers.

https://www.bcliving.ca/historic-cannery-restaurant-to-close

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

She then gave me a bit of a tour of the city.  One of the places we went to was Stanley Park and the totem poles.  26 years later on a silver wedding trip, my wife and I visited again.  Beth thought they looked rather nice.  I replied, "Don't you remember them"  There was then an icy voice near my right ear which said, "It wasn't me that you came here with when you first saw them".  Doh.

Awkward. 

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, pH said:

Very lucky you! 

Unfortunately, you’ve used the wrong tense. The Cannery was closed several years ago, as the dock area is now behind security barriers.

https://www.bcliving.ca/historic-cannery-restaurant-to-close

Fortunately I was able to take Beth there, along with Marj (the surviving aunt) in 2004.

Jamie

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Good morning from the Charente.  The Tardis is still in Vancouver on the 14th June 1978.   From where the previous photo was taken things looked rather different then.  Railway yards where the cruise terminal is now. I'm not sure but I think that the train ferry to Vancouver Island went from this area. I would be surprised of any of these shunters are still in existence.

2075804166_Slides1978A-15023.jpg.04b99a0ff12bd400e6f16038640ef304.jpg

The interior of the CP station didn't disappoint either.

1797700549_Slides1978A-15024.jpg.ca07f3597f5249184cd9dfe864ff5a35.jpg

Aunt Phil got this photo of me in travelling mode.  I still use that rucksack today. It leaves my arms free to push wheelchairs and manage luggage.  It also raises eyebrows amongst some security staff but it has served me well. I will not comment on the flared jeans.

1255234600_Slides1978A-15025.jpg.1d9ff6ec87f560f2f811d7090dfacc49.jpg

After saying thank you and goodbye to Phil and Marj I got my luggage on board and then went walkabout with my camera.   This colourful boxcar caught my eye.

705241443_Slides1978A-15026.jpg.55426649ee25bd0f6906705072f56ed8.jpg

Even better was out train.   All stainless steel coaches with a park series dome observation at the rear and these two immaculate F units up front. Though the ticket said VIA, the train was all CP. FPA9's I think.

1893972137_Slides1978A-15027.jpg.f030742edbd357aee2b8d721ecf5ad9e.jpg

Anyway at about 6pm, IIRC, we headed east and before long were alongside the Fraser River.

523113414_Slides1978A-15029.jpg.8248f035dd6b1c6d6d7a76f6ca1e194f.jpg

Ahead the various ranges of the Rockies and some more famous railway summits.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 19

23 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

Even better was out train.   All stainless steel coaches with a park series dome observation at the rear and these two immaculate F units up front. Though the ticket said VIA, the train was all CP. FPA9's I think.

1372102248_Slides1978A-15027.jpg.4ce263f2339dbddd4396d8420533ec58.jpg

To paraphrase Mr. Morecambe - all the correct letters, but not in the right order. #1406 is an FP9A. Going by the grilles, I think the second unit may be an FP7A, but I wouldn’t swear to that.

Edited by pH
Spelling
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, pH said:

To paraphrase Mr. Morecambe - all the correct letters, but not in the right order. #1406 is an FP9A. Going by the grilles, I think the second unit may be an FP7A, but I wouldn’t swear to that.

5 grilles - it's a second FP9A.

Also of interest, ditch lights were fitted on Canadian locomotives some years before they became standard on US engines. :yes:

As for flared trousers - they were all you could get at the time. The current term is "Period clothing". 

At least you weren't wearing a tank top as well... ;)

• Like 3

Aaaah flares, 'I Was Lord Kitchener's Valet' down the King's Road, Chelsea ... ex-Navy flared trousers.  As the retired sailor said in his letter to the Daily Mirror, "I could take two paces forward and no-one knew I'd moved!"

Jason

• Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, jasond said:

Aaaah flares, 'I Was Lord Kitchener's Valet' down the King's Road, Chelsea ... ex-Navy flared trousers.  As the retired sailor said in his letter to the Daily Mirror, "I could take two paces forward and no-one knew I'd moved!"

Jason

Yes, I seem to remember specifying the size of the flare when buying 31" comes to mind.  At least they weren't  loon pants.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, F-UnitMad said:

5 grilles - it's a second FP9A.

As I said, I wouldn’t swear to it being an FP7A. I was going from the pictures on this page of CP F-units in the 14xx series:

http://www.mountainrailway.com/CP 1400 Page 1.htm

In general (there are a very few exceptions), those identified as FP9As have the same grille arrangement as #1406 and those identified as FP7As have the grille arrangement on the second unit in Jamie’s photo.

18 minutes ago, pH said:

As I said, I wouldn’t swear to it being an FP7A. I was going from the pictures on this page of CP F-units in the 14xx series:

http://www.mountainrailway.com/CP 1400 Page 1.htm

In general (there are a very few exceptions), those identified as FP9As have the same grille arrangement as #1406 and those identified as FP7As have the grille arrangement on the second unit in Jamie’s photo.

Sorry, my wording was bad - I should have said 'louvres' rather than 'grilles'.

The F9 & FP9 had 5 bodyside louvres, the closest one to the cab door being in front of the forward porthole. F7s & FP7s had 4 louvres, none in front of the forward porthole, which was closer to the cab than on the F9/FP9.

The bodyside louvre & porthole arrangements are identical on those two locos; ergo the 2nd is also an FP9. ;)

Still whatever they were, I'm not at all jealous, in any way whaysoever, of Jamie & his Tardis... :no: :mosking:

• Like 5

You’ve really got me interested in this! (Isn’t insomnia great?). Rapido have descriptions and prototype pictures on their website of GMD FP7s and FP9s, which differ in details from the EMD versions (CP’s locos were GMD built). The pictures show grille arrangements which indicate the second unit is a GMD FP7A. 

(I’m off now to try to get back to sleep. If I don’t answer further posts, it doesn’t mean I’m in a huff.)

• Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
56 minutes ago, F-UnitMad said:

Sorry, my wording was bad - I should have said 'louvres' rather than 'grilles'.

The F9 & FP9 had 5 bodyside louvres, the closest one to the cab door being in front of the forward porthole. F7s & FP7s had 4 louvres, none in front of the forward porthole, which was closer to the cab than on the F9/FP9.

The bodyside louvre & porthole arrangements are identical on those two locos; ergo the 2nd is also an FP9. ;)

Still whatever they were, I'm not at all jealous, in any way whaysoever, of Jamie & his Tardis... :no: :mosking:

There are plenty more F units to come.

Jamie

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1

1 hour ago, pH said:

Rapido have descriptions and prototype pictures on their website of GMD FP7s and FP9s, which differ in details from the EMD versions (CP’s locos were GMD built).

Ah, I see. GMD - vs - EMD.  In which case I bow to Rapido's superior knowledge. 

And I thought the most difficult F-Unit I.D. problem was between late-phase F3s and early phase F7s... :rolleyes:  :fool:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, F-UnitMad said:

And I thought the most difficult F-Unit I.D. problem was between late-phase F3s and early phase F7s... :rolleyes:  :fool:

You mean F5s? :jester:

• Funny 1