Heljan Class 16 - too many decoder pins

SpenRail

Hi

I recently purchased a 00 Class 16. Yesterday I decided to fit a decoder, but on removing the body, I noted a couple of issues. The first being that there seems to be 22 pins meaning my Zimo and Zen 21 pin decoders won’t fit. The other problem is the two small wiring harnesses were already disconnected; could anyone advise me as to which of the socket they go into. I wondered if anyone had come across anything like this before on a brand new model.

Thanks for any advice.

528E7069-44A5-4241-B1C2-7B174C7C1BA7.jpeg

6A3BF187-6B03-4FE9-93A2-92A0A0D9A0E8.jpeg

• RMweb Gold
32 minutes ago, 55020 said:

They've fitted the loco with a Plux22 socket.   https://dccwiki.com/PluX_Interface

Steve

Except they haven't really. Plux interface has the pins on the decoder, not the socket.

They've basically screwed up and put an extra pin on and unless they managed to mess up the circuit board as well it should just be a case of snipping off the extra pin.

The lose plugs, one of them looks like it only fits in 1 of the sockets. The other I'm guessing is for lights, I think it goes in the middle one but I'd wait for someone with more confidence to confirm.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

It's a socket for a 21-pin decoder so your decoder will fit - it does have 22 holes. The two loose harnesses look like they plug in to the sockets on the right, similar to those on the left. What do the instructions say?

This is not a Plux 22 Socket as the model is quite old, when the early Dapol Class 22 came out it had a 22Pin Interface as well, but this was a factory cock up.

DAPOLS STATEMENT:

As promised here is an update of the state of play with the 21 pin / 22 pin situation i announced both here and on the web site yesterday.

Given information from China and also thanks to you who posted the cure here, i have today converted ALL remaining stock of Class 22's that were due to go out to stockists yesterday.
These were models that were pre-sold and hadnt gone out intime and amounted to a considerable number.

They have now been done, and the bottom of the box has a sticker saying that its had the modification, so if you havnt purchased yet you will know what to look for if your wanting to convert the model to DCC.

As the model stands, it will accept the following DCC decoders without the need for modification; Locsound4 + TCS 621 that we know of as these are 21 pin but have the 22nd socket present as a reduntant hole in the socket.

As a new customer who has purchased one and doesnt like the idea of snipping the pin shown on the picture on page 20 of this thread, i suggest in this instance returning it to your stockists for either modification there, or having them send on to us for me to do it here.

Please note that Dapol will honour this modification with warranty cover, and should you make a complete 'horlicks' of the cutting of the pin, then we will also either repair it ourselves for you, or supply a replacement 21pin PCB board for you to fit as soon as i have them.

The conversion takes about 90 seconds and the replacement PCB fitting take about 5 minutes if you do these yourselves.

cheers  Dave

I think this could be a similar problem from Heljan as I belive on some models they use the same factory.  Picture below on the Class 22 Problem:

22 Pin.jpg

Edited by charliepetty

Thanks. The shop where I bought the loco are being incredibly good at looking at the issue, even replying on a Sunday. Nonetheless, I recall the issue with Dapol having a similar issue. It may be a case of snipping the pin, but I won’t do that until I get the shops technical response tomorrow. Either way, I’m sure it will get sorted. I’ll post the outcome/ solution in case others have a similar experience.

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Kaput said:

Except they haven't really. Plux interface has the pins on the decoder, not the socket.

They've basically screwed up and put an extra pin on and unless they managed to mess up the circuit board as well it should just be a case of snipping off the extra pin.

The lose plugs, one of them looks like it only fits in 1 of the sockets. The other I'm guessing is for lights, I think it goes in the middle one but I'd wait for someone with more confidence to confirm.

Yeah, I knew the pins are on the Plux22 decoder.   I just didn't pay enough attention to the OPs photos and I jumped to the wrong conclusion when I saw "two rows of 11 pins".  My bad, and apologies for the duff gen.

Steve

• Like 1