Modern Image 7mm in the Great Outdoors.

D6775

I finally figured this needed its own thread rather than clogging up my Workbench thread which isn't getting any workbench items on it at the moment, oh well.

When we moved house a few years ago we got a fairly large blank canvas of a garden, a rotten 6x4 shed, a lawn and a HUGE pile of rocks. In between other jobs we started cleaning up the rocks and moving them to one end of the garden, they were massively overgrown and there was a good few ton of them. Early last year we placed and order for a new more substantial shed and  in between lock downs a pad got laid, the shed fitted and a new patio in front of it laid. We always planned to have some form of raised beds and planning permission form the boss was duly granted for the Railway to go in the garden, in fact I think now it is coming together she is more excited about it than me. Well the block work is in, just needs filling and cladding, but also the track work has well and truly started. The picture below pretty much gives an overview of the space, its nothing complicated, a simple two track loop, some points at the rear to allow access to/from the main lines and that's about it. This is not about the play factor but simply to be able to run trains without the need for shuttling back and forth. 

GL26.jpg.b7c91abc4ec6ae9765daab8d5de4de15.jpg

Cam managed to finish the outer loop today so the teat train came back out. 37423 as its the easiest loco  to access atm and the cargowaggons as they are the longest vehicles in the current fleet. 

GL27.jpg.acaecc1809faeb3273154f50e489cb1c.jpg

GL28.jpg.53ac04d2c6efe707127548b513ecc3f8.jpg

Therre may or may not be further progress this week, we will see. But conduit and additional wire has been ordered and should be here in a day or two. 

• Like 15
  • Round of applause 1

1 minute ago, Andrew P said:

WOW Al, that looks amazing, really envious of your area, but will watch with interest now. Well done to Cam as well.

Thanks Andy, I couldn't do it without him, he's been an absolute star. Might take us 12-18 months to fill the centre beds and plant but it is all coming together, little and often.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jcarta said:

I can see a nice spot where to place my deck chair and cold box in readiness to watch the trains...:locomotive:

There should be plenty of those spots all being well, and there is no need for a cold box, there is a beer fridge!!

• Like 3
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

The wagons certainly need toning down ..... I'm going blind with the sunshine bouncing off of them :sungum: ..... Love the Class 26

Jim

Edited by jcarta
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

On 18/05/2021 at 20:11, jcarta said:

The wagons certainly need toning down ..... I'm going blind with the sunshine bouncing off of them :sungum: ..... Love the Class 26

Jim

To be fair the scrap wagons aren't mine, I have just built and painted them but their owner will weather them eventually. I need to do another four at some point.

• Like 1

Two staging sidings gone in this afternoon and some of the wiring has started to go together. Hope for some dry weather next week and I've a 'free' weekend too so we'll hopefully make more progress. 37427 the test loco of choice today.

GL33.jpg.5685177bf8db575bbc2c227e33ae6e25.jpg

GL34.jpg.9102088dd2c3aeb852c1851e2bf211cc.jpg

• Like 9

12 minutes ago, Baggies1961 said:

Looks great Al, were the lamp brackets included with the 37 or did you have to fabricate them.

It does say in the ‘paperwork’ they are included as spares needless to say I cant find them!

Spares off a centre panel 37/0. I do need to source some more as its lost one on the other end and we need some for another loco. I need to either try PRMRP or I am seeing someone Monday who may be able to etch me some. 

• Thanks 1

Not much progress to show this evening really, but we now have the back storage sidings wired up which meant the bed around the pond can be filled and planted and the wiring for the stabling roads at the opposite end have also now been wired so that small bed can be properly filled and planted. So with a combination of wiring and fish plates (we won't be relying on fishplate), much testing insued!

GL38.JPG.4d47bad8e0fcfa33208e582809dbf213.JPG

GL39.JPG.5ca3b9dbb1240d98a0833be454de8545.JPG

GL41.JPG.99c2503e826b2c6342c22a7a44d1c7e1.JPG

Not the best shot but I really quite liked this view, unfortunately it will get obliterated with more rocks and plants tomorrow. 

GL40.JPG.d1bce327f5e91811cd9ede198cba35b7.JPG

Edited by D6775
  • Like 14

Rob the inside will be about 5'11" and the outside is about 6'1" to the inside rail give or take. The outside of the flower bed is 6'4". Its OK but I wouldn't want to go much tighter. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, jcarta said:

This is looking good, sun, pond, foliage and go old BR blue loco's ....... One more can one ask for :D

It all to be finished? To be fair it is coming on fairly quickly. It was nice to be able to sit back and just watching things trundle round yesterday evening. 

• Like 1

47606odin ( amazing the names some people give their children these days), my track has been outdoors for 9 years without issue and my UV would be greater than Geraldton. A friends layout was out for 10 years in Brisbane without issue which would have similar exposure to your location. Go for it!

cheers

Bob Comerford

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 29/05/2021 at 18:20, D6775 said:

Sun has been out this afternoon so I couldn;t resist a play, Cam's round tomorrow and we have a full day so there should be some significant progress in the Garden!

GL35.JPG.a9076f147cca1fa10dbc501a8c61c71e.JPG

GL36.JPG.534c98dd73f90fad5518708cd09a9e7c.JPG

GL37.JPG.606e89d0425943d5a98911498d409676.JPG

That is lovely. Fair takes me back to spotting days!

Cheers

David

• Like 1

On 03/06/2021 at 05:23, 47606odin said:

I’m tempted by the garden, but not sure how the track would survive the extreme uv we have here

Leave a piece outside for 12 months and see how it fairs! 

PS - Construction or any other Sector livery certainly doesn't suit a 66!!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, D6775 said:

Leave a piece outside for 12 months and see how it fairs! 

PS - Construction or any other Sector livery certainly doesn't suit a 66!!

I actually thought it looked quite good! Better than most 66 liveries anyhow

Paul R

• Like 1
  • Agree 1