DCC fitting a Hornby B2 Peckett

First time poster here so please be gentle :)

I am attempting to fit a Hornby R7150 decoder into a B2 Peckett but I can't work out which way up it goes.

The leaflet that comes with the loco doesn't help as it shows the socket being located on the side of the motor. When I opened up the loco the socket was as shown in the photo (I've already removed the blanking plug).

I have also attached a photo of the decoder.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

PXL_20210516_174327747.1.jpg

PXL_20210516_175708288.2.jpg

• RMweb Gold

As this is a question, might be better posted in the DCC help and questions thread, as this thread you’ve posted in,  is a DCC fitting guide thread - ie, other posters may not be expecting to see a question here. Hence answers may be slow in coming.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Just solved this little conundrum !!

Bought a reduced B2 whilst on holiday but the dealer hadn't got the R7150 decoder in stock, so I picked it up from my LHS when I got home.  Took the body off whilst observing the Hornby sheet which suggested there would be a 6 pin socket alongside the motor.  What I found was plastic bound thing which looked like a decoder, with four wires going off into and under the motor. I could have assumed the shrink wrapped thing was a decoder, but the box was marked DCC ready. 

Assuming there would have to be a blanking plug to allow the loco to run on DC, and it was test run in the shop, I assumed that I would have to break the plastic shrink wrap which I did.  Lo and behold, under the shrink wrap was a four pin socket and a blanking plug in it. Problem solved, but it would have been less worrying about breaking into a plastic wrapped device, if Hornby stated that was what was needed !!!!

So if anyone has recently bought a B2, don't expect a nice little socket tucked in the side of the motor !!!!