EKR / LCDR / SECR / SR Goods Shed photographs - Faversham

Was up this way over the weekend and thought the photos might be of use to someone. The interior is now offices but the exterior is pretty much preserved as was. Built by the East Kent Railway around the time they became the London Chatham & Dover Railway and in use through SR and into early BR days. Situated at the start of the Faversham Quay Branchline near the Wagon Works (now in a very sad state). Much longer than most kits of Goods Sheds. If anyone does want measurements give me a shout and a week or two's notice...

secr5.jpg

secr4.jpg

secr3.jpg

secr2.jpg

secr1.jpg

Edited by ManofKent
wrongly attributed to SECR - built 1858
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 1

I know it's a bit late at night to have my pedant's hat on  -  but I strongly suspect that this pre-dates the S.E.C.R. : John Minnis' Southern Country Stations vol.2 illustrates Kearsney shed and says "The distinctive round arch to the doorway and circular ventilator, present in the great majority of LCDR warehouses, are clearly visible." .... as they are at Faversham.

• Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, Wickham Green too said:

I know it's a bit late at night to have my pedant's hat on  -  but I strongly suspect that this pre-dates the S.E.C.R. : John Minnis' Southern Country Stations vol.2 illustrates Kearsney shed and says "The distinctive round arch to the doorway and circular ventilator, present in the great majority of LCDR warehouses, are clearly visible." .... as they are at Faversham.

Apologies - built circa 1858 so probably just EKR before they changed name to LCDR.

• Agree 1

• ManofKent changed the title to EKR / LCDR / SECR / SR Goods Shed photographs - Faversham
7 hours ago, Lyddrail said:

Here is the building on 23-1-95, plus some of the Creek buildings on 22-02-96 used by the Building department which is why I was there.

Cheers.

Fascinating - nothing remains of the corrugated sheds.

So the top picture is the Goods Shed, then are the middle pictures the old wagon works? 

I can't place the very bottom picture.

Excellent pictures.

The 1957 map labels the buildings in the 2nd post as a "Transport Depot".  I only remember them in the derelict state shown.  They were much lower down than the goods yard and if they were rail connected that would have been quite a steep incline down given the space - just take a look at the gradient between the Jubliee Centre and the Goods Shed today.

AFAIK the wagon repair depot was up the top by the engine sheds.

• Informative/Useful 1

20 minutes ago, Jack said:

Excellent pictures.

The 1957 map labels the buildings in the 2nd post as a "Transport Depot".  I only remember them in the derelict state shown.  They were much lower down than the goods yard and if they were rail connected that would have been quite a steep incline down given the space - just take a look at the gradient between the Jubliee Centre and the Goods Shed today.

AFAIK the wagon repair depot was up the top by the engine sheds.

That makes sense - the transport depot then is long one. Looking at them again, the roof is quite different to the wagon depot (still standing, but behind the railway fence (although viewable from the long footbridge), and despite being a listed building now in a perilous state). We're lucky the Goods Shed was preserved and restored. You can just see the roof through the trees a little above the Engine Shed (slightly less perilous state): https://www.google.com/maps/place/The+Goods+Shed/@51.3101943,0.8978011,67m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0x96e53f85a0989564!8m2!3d51.3120427!4d0.8993132

15 hours ago, ManofKent said:

Fascinating - nothing remains of the corrugated sheds.

So the top picture is the Goods Shed, then are the middle pictures the old wagon works? 

I can't place the very bottom picture.

Yes the goods shed is the top pic. It is hard to work out which buildings are which.  But this plan (1981) I just scanned shows the area the rest of the buildings were, top with Whitstable road to the buffer stops of the sidings. The good shed is marked to the right. I guess the buildings were workshops and offices.

Cheers.

Faversham Creek Jan 1981 Plan.jpg

• Thanks 1

Thank you - I moved to Faversham in 1999 so the site was pretty much all closed off and about to go under development at that point. I dimly remember the bridge across Whitstable road from childhood visits to the town (i think it was removed mid-late 80's) but that's  all. The bridge embankment on the  park side is still obvious (now planted as a mini- wildflower bank and quite attractive). Nothing remains of the Quay branchline on the other side of the road but that went in the mid 60's. I've searche high and low for photos of the goods yard or the quay end, but apart from a few in the Middlleton Press book drawn a blank.

• Like 1