Obervaz - not to be confused with Untervaz.

JimFin

• RMweb Premium

A project I have been working on for a while now is in Nm9 and started as I was interested in the modular project which flowed for PaulRhB's Bonsai layout.

Having packed up the Neuburg layouts pending going to some exhibitions, lots of space in my shed. The plan is to have an extensive Nm9 layout but with sections that fit the modular brief and can be free standing for exhibition use as well. The first part of that project is derived from Untervaz as a basis for the track plan. Not the chocolate box scene but very much Zona Industrial through which the RhB works extensively and transits.

It is build on 2 boards 1.8m X 0.5m each, a size which in part is driven in that they will fit side by side in the back of my estate car so no more van hires needed for this one. Layout permits through running with end plates to the module specification, extensive goods and shunting opportunity and round and round if wanted. Track from the scenic level drops with a spiral at each end to sidings below.

SWMBO very kindly bought me an Anycubic Mono X and a wash and cure station for my birthday and I am amazed at the level of detail this is capable of producing and limited finishing that is needed to get an acceptable result. I fornd this out by printing an Nm Schoma based on the work I had done before.

Since Kato don't (currently) produce goods stock, I set about developing a range of the wagons I would want. Some of these are nearing completion, they use Kato bogies and 4 wheel stock the Peco chassis. To see them in context, I made up a short photo plank and this is the result - the Ge 4/4 III being from Kato - 

IMG_20210516_213427.jpg.f9c9ffa68648d902c9136af470913d07.jpg

IMG_20210516_213720.jpg.b03c27ac867ea5c775bc1f77a829a254.jpg

IMG_20210516_214244.jpg.fbd649f5bf96cd14da69ae540d7db80d.jpg

There is a fairly random selection of WIP here - including a track plan. https://www.flickr.com/photos/148810032@N02/albums/72157718910649589

Edited by JimFin
Add link rather than pic
  • Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Very early stages,  making progress with the spiral  (5% gradient)  from the visible section to the fiddle yard. Track bed is 3d printed segments overlapping hence the cloths pegs until the glue cures overnight. Supports are 5mm threaded rod into tee nuts through the baseboard. 

IMG_20210612_205835.jpg.83f7af77ef198ac728900b53346977f1.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

It's designed round Kato R216 track and at 5% rises 68mm per 360 (but I do round it up) - its got to fit within the 500mm width of the board and makes 2.5 turns. I am using Kato track for this as I think the rigidity of it is preferable to flexi track for this job.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Baseboard construction completed, they moved from the garage/workshop to the shed to begin tracklaying.

IMG_20210624_111336.jpg.e3a6e94ec16cdbb75f27c5c0db29af6b.jpg

Started with the storage sidings accessed via the spirals. Added droppers to the Kato track after each revolution, test suggested it was unnecessary but easier to do now than later.

IMG_20210624_122554.jpg.c3aecabf128fab8f0f250e31b5e41bdb.jpg

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

After a week away helping with a house move, been able to pick up with some track laying. and basic testing as I go along.

The spiral is working fine but would benefit from a touch of super elevation as the Si wagons are not comfortable but everything else is good. Got one set of the ladder of points for the storage yard and front siding in place.

IMG_20210705_211856.jpg.a2a0e1e96e842c7402606b542bcf8a93.jpg

Trying these neat baseboard joiner sections which are just a fancy version of the traditional paxolin sleepers.

IMG_20210705_211937.jpg.764f513ccf7cb82b2199a1e8fded6a6b.jpg

Main thing I have been finding out is this Kato stuff is very sensitive to the transition from flat to gradient, compounded by a join from Kato track to Peco code 55. Shaped balsa wood wedge has been the best solution.

Just nice to have a train running!

IMG_20210705_211919.jpg.033d4ddf23b8c933979627dec8332c7f.jpg

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 05/07/2021 at 21:50, JimFin said:

Got one set of the ladder of points for the storage yard and front siding in place.

IMG_20210705_211856.jpg.a2a0e1e96e842c7402606b542bcf8a93.jpg

Hi Jim.  I wonder if I might ask a question.  Elsewhere, I’ve been enquiring about track and points to use for an H0e layout, and have been advised against using 9” radius Insulfrog points - with Electrofrog points strongly recommended.  

The ladder of points into the fiddle yard in the photo above look to me like Peco Setrack N Gauge Insulfrog points.  While I realise this isn’t H0e, if I’m correct I just wondered if you’d found them to be OK?

(I appreciate one reservation for using Insulfrog points for Narrow Gauge layouts will be the number of short wheelbase locomotives typically found there, rather than the 4/4 Locomotives here, but I’m just interested in making the comparison).

Hope that’s Ok.  Thanks, Keith.

• RMweb Premium

Keith - yes they are Peco Set Track and work fine with the 4/4's. The geometry having an acute angle means the insulated section is relatively short. Elsewhere I am using the Peco Unifrog but still switching the frog from the Cobalt point motor. That may be an alternative for you to consider as it has the features of both insul frog and electro frog.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Been a while since my last post - and it's been slow progress. The complexity of setting up the track and wiring has been a bit of a challenge but it's going well and running smoothly.

The Peco scissors crossing needed a lot of modification to work with the Cobalt IP point motors but it's remarkable smooth.

The geometry of the track plan means there is a reverse loop which had had to be incorporated in the DCC wiring. The AR1 polarity reverse module was not a great success, being relay operated it was simply not quick enough for the Kato locos but funnily enough - fine with the Scoma fitted with a Zimo decoder. The module has been replaced with a Lenz LR200 solid state switch. To ensure a full train can be accommodated within the reversing section, this has had to be extended part of the way into the spiral which meant a little bit of re-work. All good now.

Very glad I hinged the top board!

IMG_20210914_124019.jpg.6dd03b443289f1082760b1bd7b75ffe8.jpg

IMG_20210914_124047.jpg.ceb1fbcdd44fe4b0b582c942fe4581d2.jpg

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Its very satisfying when a number of things all come together and work! 3D prints, including the bogies, digital Schoma, MicroTrains couplings and Dapol inset magnet contribute to the first delivery into the Weyland siding. 

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

So - Obervaz was parked while preparing and exhibiting Neuburg at the Darlington show and now doing some tweaks based on that experience.

Today however brought a sharp reminder as to where I had been spending my pocket money -

IMG_20211119_145138.jpg.a79a7ee70486053579e6028a809ff5ec.jpg

IMG_20211119_144913.jpg.2a0d62af76819ecec2becf2056ee9878.jpg

• Like 7
  • Funny 1

It’s amazing what you can achieve with home printing these days. How do you achieve the printed designs and lettering on the wagons please? 
NB this whole project looks incredibly thoroughly thought out and executed. The benefit of a lot of experience I guess. 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the kind words.

Decals are mainly home printed with a laser printer, decal paper and artwork created from freely available software - MS Paint for example. White lettering at the moment has to be bought in.

If you are interested in the printing projects and decals, there is a lot more written up about them on the RhB dedicated forum - https://rhb.boards.net/  feel free to have a browse.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Premium

This project got parked for a long time due to other commitments but please to say I have reached a milestone in that all the track laying is complete -

IMG_20230201_200121.jpg.413d21e7572669205954c39fdaa12cb3.jpg

The fiddle yard level and furthest away baseboard had their wiring full completed, tested and ballasted before being stored so I "just" have to wire up the top level of this board and fettle any issues. Glad I hinged the boards to save crawling about underneath!

IMG_20230201_200918.jpg.1808a19fd042cbc7273b2c47bf287e3b.jpg

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Testing is going well, nothing major just a few bits to fettle. 

The Microtrain couplings are also playing nice with the Dapol magnets. 

Point motors to fit to this board and then ballast are the next jobs.

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

More testing with a short consist.

This is using Hunt magnetic couplings between wagons which seems to be more tolerant of grade transitions than the Dapol knuckle couplings.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

An interesting comparison.  The far end of the Ge 4/4ii does look strange without the snow plough.  Do they ever run like that? (My guess would be not, but there may be a reason I don’t know of), Keith.

Edited by Keith Addenbrooke

5 hours ago, Keith Addenbrooke said:

An interesting comparison.  The far end of the Ge 4/4ii does look strange without the snow plough.  Do they ever run like that? (My guess would be not, but there may be a reason I don’t know of), Keith.

Almost certainly not. At first I thought it was the camera angle but then I realised something had fallen off 618!

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Gordonwis said:

Almost certainly not. At first I thought it was the camera angle but then I realised something had fallen off 618!

Not quite! 618 was on the workbench in the middle of getting a microtrains coupling fitted and the most conveniently to hand for the comparison.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, JimFin said:

Not quite! 618 was on the workbench in the middle of getting a microtrains coupling fitted and the most conveniently to hand for the comparison.

Given the weather here today (a snowplough might become useful) does add some unintended irony to this conversation!  Keith.

(PS: I can only marvel at those such as yourself who tackle Micro-Trains couplings - when I dabbled with N-Scale last year it was my inability to see them clearly, due to their small size and my poor eyesight, that led me to step back and move back up the scales, even if my layout options become more limited.  Look forward to seeing progress with your layout).

• Funny 1