Soundtraxx Next 18

AMJ

3 hours ago, AMJ said:

Available soon will be the Tsunami2 Next 18 and then later the Econami UK

The video caused me to think "that big boxy thing at the back edge of the decoder looks way too tall".   So I went looking for data, and from what I can find, decoder may be outside the standard.   I really hope the information I've found turns out to be wrong, but the decoder in the video did look tall.  

I can't find the spec on the maker's website. 
Two different US retailers list its dimensions as: 

1.0 x 0.41 x 0.23 Inch (25 x 10.5 x 5.9 mm)

27mm x 10.5mm x 5mm

The MOROP standards page for NEM662 have the max dimensions for a Next18S  (S=sound) as
https://www.morop.org/images/NEM_register/NEM_E/nem662_en_2016.pdf 

25.0 mm x 10.5 mm x 4.1 mm

So, both retailers are listing a decoder which is "too tall" to meet the Next18 standard (and one is too long, so they may have garbled data).   As the standard includes the space manufacturers leave inside models so the decoder will be able to fit in the space, this is a potential problem.  

I advise caution until the dimensions are clarified.  

- Nigel

• Informative/Useful 1

• 1 month later...

Email with spec from Soundtraxx

Specifications

Dimensions: 25 x 10.5 x 4.1mm 

Max. Motor Stall Current: 1A

Max. Function Current: 100mA (each output)

Function Outputs: 6 

Audio Amplifier: 1W, 8-Ohm Load

DCC Track Voltage: 7.5V - 22V

Sound Channels: 16

Tsunami2 Digital Sound Decoders integrate a full-featured sound system, Hyperlight™ lighting effects, Hyperdrive2™ advanced motor control, and a DCC decoder into a single package. Tsunami2 Digital Sound Decoders offer 20+ lighting effects in each model! Other popular Tsunami2 features include: Reactive Dynamic Digital Exhaust, Functioning locomotive and train brakes. We also offer a large selection of selectable sound effects including: manufacturer specific prime movers (up to 12), bells (12), airhorns (40+), couplers, compressors and more!

Tsunami2 TSU-N18 Decoder Part numbers:

884010 - TSU-N18 Steam-2

885026 - TSU-N18 EMD

885027 - TSU-N18 GE

885028 - TSU-N18 ALCO

885029 - TSU-N18 Baldwin & Others

885030 - TSU-N18 EMD-2

886007 - TSU-N18 Electric

Full manuals for Soundtraxx products can be found at https://soundtraxx.com/ on the reference menu

The Econami chips have a few features less than the Tsunami2 but they have far more CV's that you can play with than many more expensive chips.  About 120 pages for the Econami manual.

The Tsunami2 Steam is of interest to UK modellers as there are various whistles include for UK locos.  

Simple CV changes can disable US features like bells.  Can be set to use vacuum in place of air pump, Any light and or sound function can be on any button by tweaking a CV.  

For those who have not used Soundtraxx DCC chips they have a number of features 

Sounds start up when the loco gets track power - this can be changed by tweaking CV's

Sound equalisers and individual volume controls for each sound.  

CV's to turn enable functions when on DC

CV's to turn enable functions when consisted - this can be handy to turn on brakes, whistles etc.

Any button can operate any function so as an example I have set volume on bell to 0 (removed from F1) and moved Mute from F8 to F1

For full list of sounds see www.soundtraxx.com 

Videos from Soundtraxx https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCURYyguc6F1Gp1uzwhFAY9Q

• 8 months later...