Which Vacuum Cleaner for the Layout?

• RMweb Gold

I have been using a cheap vacuum cleaner on the layout for a good few years and it is about to give up the ghost. I know that because it gets very hot very quickly and emits a rather nasty 'something's burning' smell, although it does still suck things up. I use it a lot to vacuum up scenic materials that haven't been stuck down by glue so that they can be recycled. Each type of material has its own paper bag - static grass, wood ash, ground foam, clump foliage, etc.

I have tried using a small Woodland Scenics vaccum cleaner but that is only for large pieces of rubbish/scenic materials. I found that out when vacuuming wood ash from the layout and seeing it redistributed all over the fiddle yard. It sometimes pays to think before you do something.

What I'd like to know is whether anybody on this forum has a favourite type/model/make that they use for keeping their layout clean and maintaining some sort of separation when picking up scenic materials to re-use.

I've been using a cheap £21.95 corded from Amazon, "Orange corded stick vacuum cleaner 600W 2 in 1 upright handheld bagless vac cyclone", general layout cleaning and recovering ballast and static grass, seems and is cheaply made but has lasted the last year with rough treatment.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

I use a pound shop paint brush to sweep up scenic material or ballast, in fact to clean the layout generally; it's carp for painting with!  I use the big vacuum cleaner after work that makes a lot of mess, but if I were to be using one for general cleaning I reckon the best option is some sort of 12vdc car vacuum.  This can be powered by your controller or by crocodiles from the track, and the motor speed and therefore the amount of suction can be controlled for heavy or delicate work.

• RMweb Gold

I use the garage “Henry” which, when handled with care, does an excellent job. It can also do an excellent job of removing things which are meant to remain!  However, careful guidance of the nozzle, with the airflow on the low setting when near smaller items and there’s no problems.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

I use this one, 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Audew-Cleaner-Handheld-Cordless-Rechargeable/dp/B07FPVQX4Q/ref=asc_df_B07FPVQX4Q/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=310744208542&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=14262965520190699080&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=t&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1007406&hvtargid=pla-567110853541&psc=1

Cheap and cheerful, not hugely powerful but easily enough suction to clean up scatter material, ballast and light dust/ rubbish  etc without wrecking the layout ( I have a more powerful one for general cleaning) It's light  weight and has a see through plastic dust container thats easy to remove and empty, just a quick wipe out before you  change what your collecting.  It also has a handy set of accessories including a plastic (Not very) lexible hose. It's Rechargeable and seams to last a reasonable time, but I make sure and plug it back in between uses. You CAN get more expensive, better makes, but this has done me for quite a while with no problems

• Thanks 1

Same here, a handheld cordless of the kind often sold for vacuuming car interiors (though I use a workshop vacuum for that - my car accumulates a fair amount of mud & grit due to my hillwalking habit).  Such devices often turn up cheap in the "aisle of wonder" in Aldi or Lidl.

• Thanks 1

One way to keep a cheap vacuum going is to give it a clean! Use another cleaner to suck the dust/dirt from any vents on the first one, you can also clean the filters, in some cases you can wash the filters.

Something else that can be useful is a “computer vacuum attachment”, this consists of an adapter for your normal vacuum, then there is a much thinner pipe (just over 1cm) and a set of small tools. Kit can be purchased for under a tenner. The adapter should have a facility to reduce the suction as well to protect delicate items.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Mick, good to hear from you! Looking forward to your next presentation.

I use a spare Dyson Animal for all my 'creative' mess clearing up.

As for recapturing scatter material, I stretch an old bit of recycled tights over the end of the hose, with the crevice tool on the end.

Really must remember to make sure the work area is clean of other rubbish before applying scatter though, so as to not contaminate the collected scatter :-(

• Thanks 1

I use a Shark Cordless with a car detailing kit. The main unit is the IZ251UK, which is used for cleaning the house - it's full sized. 

The car detailing kit provides a series of small brushes attached via small hoses, designed to get into awkward corners. These are very handy for cleaning the layout - precise and yet not too powerful so as to avoid damaging models.

The Shark is also bagless so it is possible to organize to collect materials like ballast for re-use, as well as cleaning away dust and general muck.

Yours,  Mike.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Many thanks to all of you who took the trouble to answer my question.

My indecision has had an unanticipated result. The domestic vacuum cleaner has developed a fault in its old age that renders it unsuitable for its intended purpose. Because I don't need a vacuum cleaner for cleaning floors and carpets, it will work perfectly for picking up unwanted and excessive scenery components.

Modelling budget still sound. Domestic budget needs some attention.

• Friendly/supportive 1