Non-railway turntables

eastworld

32 minutes ago, eastworld said:

I was aware that a boatyard in Victoria, BC, Canada had one of these, but is this the only example of a boat turntable in the UK?

https://en-gb.facebook.com/Birdham.Pool.Marina/videos/1412346292322346/

Stu

I don't know about marine ones, but there was one for road vehicles in Dover, serving the loading bays of a parade of shops just down from the old Town Hall.

There was a turntable - and rails, for moving lockgate components, at the Canal workshops at Bulbourne near Tring on the Grand Union.  They closed years ago, but I was fascinated by the wagon with lockgate components at an open day about 1995.  You can see the location of the turntable in this image here:

https://images.app.goo.gl/p4vwsggh5ZAmZxs18

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

A bus turntable in St Helier, Jersey, on site of former Jersey Eastern Railway terminus,  Had gone before I was able to visit - the bus station became car parking.

Christchurch turntable on the Bournemouth trolleybus system, previously mentioned.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/rw3-497alh/46158057181/
https://twitter.com/ephemeracity/status/1134161776310984705
https://twitter.com/thejohnfisher/status/1273857936469753857

Turntable in a London trolleybus depot, Edmonton, from about 40 seconds 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHnXcTGZGfk

• Like 1

I stayed at a cottage in Cley which had a turntable for visitor parking. But the length of our car (BMW 3 series saloon) was such that it came perilously close to the wall. After the first scare we just used multi-point turns!

Edited by The Lurker

10 minutes ago, The Lurker said:

I stayed at a cottage in Cley which had a turntable for visitor parking. But the length of our car (BMW 3 series saloon) was such that it came perilously close to the wall. After the first scare we just used multi-point turns!

I was told that at least one Oxford college has one. I have occasionally thought of having one, as we have a difficult access on to a busy minor road. Last time I looked, they were about £5000.

• RMweb Premium

A good many places have lorry turntables in loading docks as it can save space and / or awkward reversal moves.  I first came across one when the catering stores at Liverpool Street station was relocated during the rebuild from its former position off the cab-road main entrance to a back-street location off Worship Street.  It was not possible to continue the former drive-through arrangements nor was it considered safe to have large vehicles reversing into or out of the yard.  Problems arose when over-length vehicles turned up or, occasionally, a fully-laden dray which exceeded the weight limit.  

Bus and trolleybus turntables have been covered above.  There was one location on the outer Melbourne bus network which was described as the "turntable" but for which I have not seen evidence of such a device.  A very tight turning bay exists (or existed until recently) along the Mountain Highway used by route 755 at The Basin 688 between Croydon and Upper Ferntree Gully to facilitate short-turns / double-runs on a twisting and steep road.  It may have been an actual turntable in past times.  It's a long shot but would anyone here know more?  

Edited by Gwiwer
Corrected memory error

I once noticed a car turntable in a rather cramped private underground car park.  It meant they could cram an extra one or two cars in by not having to leave space for multi-point turns.

Edited by ejstubbs

• RMweb Premium

A bit hard to make out, but this is the remnants of a turntable for horse drawn carriages. It is situated at the end of Hamilton Drive Lane, Glasgow. 

ct2.JPG.055530f52a223e0f0fffb751a24e8a03.JPG

608794077_ct1.jpeg.a63c0b853933b9269fc58402f6daad44.jpeg

When I first saw it 30 years ago the whole circle was visible, but it now rather buried.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

A good many places have lorry turntables in loading docks as it can save space and / or awkward reversal moves.  I first came across one when the catering stores at Liverpool Street station was relocated during the rebuild from its former position off the cab-road main entrance to a back-street location off Worship Street.  It was not possible to continue the former drive-through arrangements nor was it considered safe to have large vehicles reversing into or out of the yard.  Problems arose when over-length vehicles turned up or, occasionally, a fully-laden dray which exceeded the weight limit.  

Bus and trolleybus turntables have been covered above.  There was one location on the outer Melbourne bus network which was described as the "turntable" but for which I have not seen evidence of such a device.  A very tight turning bay exists (or existed until recently) along the mountain road used by route 688 between Croydon and Upper Ferntree Gully to facilitate short-turns / double-runs on a twisting and steep road.  It may have been an actual turntable in past times.  It's a long shot but would anyone here know more?  

New one on me. But Google reveals a bus stop named The Basin Turntable at The Basin on Mountain Highway. But on the 755 bus route.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, The Lurker said:

Where abouts is that? I live very close to Cley and my layout is set there maybe something I could model

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, kevinlms said:

The Basin Turntable at The Basin on Mountain Highway. But on the 755 bus route.

That'll be the one.  It's been a few years and I only ever made one trip up there so the memory was a little hazy.  But yes, the stop is called "Turntable" and the location is used to turn buses.  

22 hours ago, russ p said:

Where abouts is that? I live very close to Cley and my layout is set there maybe something I could model

If I have done this right, this is the location from google maps/street view

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.9536237,1.0424329,3a,75y,330.29h,71.51t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sEKAcgOBMIMJB1yigW1XqKw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

The cottage we stayed in was on the left hand side of the A149 next to the pub garden. The turntable is down the little lane on the left (although the gates may be shut). The satellite view is rathe grainy but you can just about make it out

• Thanks 1