New n gauge Mk3 loco hauled coaches coming from Dapol?

Kris

• RMweb Premium

Looking at the catalogue on the Dapol website, specifically on pages 40-41 there is a box saying that there is a new range loco hauled mk3 coaches coming soon. I wonder if these will match the sleeper stock when it arrives?

1251310447_Screenshot2021-05-18at18_21_54.png.396bd4ac557ab7646a65107e66eefa5a.png

• RMweb Premium

Could be re-runs of Blue/Grey or either of the Intercity liveries - although given they're still quite easy to find in the shops perhaps not.

There's still several Anglia liveries yet to be applied to the Mk3 (and DVT).

As I've just bought the transfers to update four coaches, my money's on Pullman branded FO!

Steven B.

On 20/05/2021 at 19:25, Padishar Creel said:

I wonder whether these will use the tooling for the roof of the HST-P saloons to make them more accurate

Or better still have a production run of roofs only to sell as spares.

es grüßt 

pc

+1 to hoping these will use the HST-P roof and that it will also be available as a spare part.

For what its worth these are the suggestions I posted on the Dapol Digest:

• Mk 3a coaches with the correct 3 Roe-Vac roof vents (as per the Prototype HST MK 3 coach roof, released last year)
  • Mk 3b Pullman FO coaches in Executive Livery with names (+1 to @chriswrightmk and his post from 2019) - the HST style Mk 3 coach roof with a single square vent at each end would be correct for these coaches
  • Blue/Grey and Executive Liveries with the "Inter-City" or "InterCity" branding in the correct location this time, higher up the bodyside than previous releases?
  • Correct width red and white stripes on the Executive and Swallow Liveries, as per the most recent release of HST trailers?
  • Another run of Mk 3a loco hauled RFM coaches based on actual protoype photos this time e.g. 10200 or 10201 in Executive livery, branded "InterCity Restaurant Buffet" like this https://flic.kr/p/4N36Qt and this https://flic.kr/p/Hzbuon; and perhaps a blue/grey example based on one of the Cargo-D or preserved examples, like this (flickr photo - not my original)BR Mk.IIIa RFB No.M10236
  • Mk 3a coach roofs with the correct 3 Roe-Vac roof vents available separately as spare parts, in appropriate colours to match previous loco haul released coaches

Fingers crossed that the next production run incorporates at least some of these ideas - a little attention to detail with the livery application could transform these models.

Cheers,

Tom.

Edited by tiger
Links edited
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 2 years later...
  • RMweb Gold

Happy to confirm that we are bringing out a large range of loco-hauled Mk3s and these will have the correct roofs, as far as possible. Once we have an official announcement, we can reveal more details. I think they will be popular with most modellers of the era.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
On 23/07/2023 at 10:24, Adam1701D said:

Happy to confirm that we are bringing out a large range of loco-hauled Mk3s and these will have the correct roofs, as far as possible. Once we have an official announcement, we can reveal more details. I think they will be popular with most modellers of the era.

Will the roof moldings be available as spare parts to allow us to correct the coaches we already have?

Steven B.

On 23/07/2023 at 10:24, Adam1701D said:

I hope that the range includes a BFO, RFM and Pullmans. Pretty please!

• RMweb Gold

No BFOs, I'm afraid. Hadn't thought about doing the Mk3B Pullmans, which is actually a rather good idea. Not sure if can fit it into the schedule now but could be a winner for a future batch.

I will ask about spare loco-hauled roofs.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Adam1701D said:

Hadn't thought about doing the Mk3B Pullmans, which is actually a rather good idea.

Indeed it is! In the InterCity era Pullman rakes appeared in the West Country on Summer Saturday cross country services so these coaches wouldn’t just appeal to WCML modellers. 

• Agree 1

On 24/07/2023 at 22:13, Adam1701D said:

No BFOs, I'm afraid. Hadn't thought about doing the Mk3B Pullmans, which is actually a rather good idea. Not sure if can fit it into the schedule now but could be a winner for a future batch.

I will ask about spare loco-hauled roofs.

That's excellent news. If you do make the RFMs how about also producing a coach pack with 3 Pullmans and a matching RFM as I believe that was typically how they ran in later years.

• RMweb Premium

The Manchester Pullman ran with four Mk3b. Merseyside and Lancashire Pullmans had three FO (ad Mk1 BG).

You'd also need a Mk1 RKB and Mk2e or Mk2f BSO for the Manchester and Lancashire trains.

As well as Pullman crests, the Mk3bs were also named with a mixture of famous Manchester/Liverpool/Lancashire names. I've got the transfers to convert some of the Mk3a's I have in my ever growing To-do pile.

Other missing Mk3 liveries include DRS, Stowbart, One, Greater Anglia. Then there's HST in Midland Mainline teal & orange. Plenty for Adam to work through!

Steven B.

3 hours ago, Steven B said:

The Manchester Pullman ran with four Mk3b. Merseyside and Lancashire Pullmans had three FO (ad Mk1 BG).

You'd also need a Mk1 RKB and Mk2e or Mk2f BSO for the Manchester and Lancashire trains.

As well as Pullman crests, the Mk3bs were also named with a mixture of famous Manchester/Liverpool/Lancashire names. I've got the transfers to convert some of the Mk3a's I have in my ever growing To-do pile.

Other missing Mk3 liveries include DRS, Stowbart, One, Greater Anglia. Then there's HST in Midland Mainline teal & orange. Plenty for Adam to work through!

Steven B.

Hallo,

a clip which may help for Pullmann formations. At the start and at ca 5m25

es grüßt

pc 

https://youtu.be/dRDZL4O0J6M

3 hours ago, Steven B said:

Right, well I was just going off what was stated here

"Varied quite a lot depending on the service covered , The Manchester set usually having more Pullman accommodation than the Liverpool service :

Loco + Mk1 BG (NEA , NEX or NHA) + MK3 PFO +MK3 PFO + MK3 PFO + MK3 RUB + 5 x Mk3 SO

Loco + Mk1 BG + Mk3 PFO + Mk1 RKB + MK3 PFO +MK3 PFO + Mk3 RUB + 4x Mk3 SO

Loco + Mk3 PFO + Mk3 RFM + MK3 PFO +MK3 PFO + Mk3 RFM + 4x Mk3 SO + Mk2 BSO

DVT + Mk3 BFO + Mk3 RFM + MK3 PFO +MK3 PFO + Mk3 PFO + Mk3 RFM + 5x Mk3 SO + Loco"

https://forum.british-trainz.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=1216

• Like 1

Having done a bit more digging it does seem that the Manchester Pullman generally did have four Pullman coaches.

WB300 Mk2d BSO, 3 Mk3a TSO, Mk3a RFB, 3 Mk3b FO, RKB, Mk3b FO (Manchester Pullman)

WB302 Mk2d BSO, 3 Mk3a TSO, Mk3a RFB, 3 Mk3b FO, RKB, Mk3b FO (Manchester Pullman)

MA300 Mk2d BSO, 3 Mk3a TSO, Mk3a RFB, 3 Mk3b FO, RKB, Mk3b FO (Manchester Pullman)

WB303 4 Mk3a TSO, Mk3a RFB, 3 Mk3b FO, RBR, NEA (Liverpool Pullman)

WB304 4 Mk3a TSO, Mk3a RFB, 3 Mk3b FO, RBR, NEA (Liverpool Pullman)

WB328 Mk2d BSO, 5 Mk2d TSO, RKB, 3 Mk3b FO, NEA (Lancashire Pullman)

https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/did-mk2s-mk3s-ever-run-together.184315/#post-4058158

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

In the 1986/87 and  1987/88 time-tables the formation of the Manchester Pullman changed in the summer, loosing one or the Pullman FO between the start of the last week of June and the end of the first week in September.

Formations as follows:

1986/87: AE2D AC2G  AC2G AC2G AJ1G AD1H AD1H AD1H AH51  AD1H

1987/88: AC2G  AC2G AC2G AC2G AJ1G (AD1H) AD1H AD1H AH51 AD1H NH51

AC2G = Mk3a TSO

AD1H = Mk3b FO

AJ1G = Mk3a RFB

AH51 = Mk1 RKB

NH51 = NEA BG

AE2D = Mk2d/e/f BSO (probably an Mk2F based on Wembley's allocation)

Note the 86/87 train used a Mk2 BSO, whilst the '88 train swapped it for a fourth Mk3a TSO and a Mk1 BG.

A triple set of Mk3b Pullmans would work for most trains but expect a couple of upset Mancunians modelling the winter of 1987! The choice of names could still cause issues! 😀

The Manchester Pullman sets ran to Paignton and Penzance on a Saturday.

I've gone for the 86/87 formation as I didn't have enough space for an 11 coach train in my stock box. Still have to apply the Pullman transfers and names to my rake (once I've rediscovered the "safe place" I put them).

If we're looking at train packs and new models, then the Mk2 Pullmans would be something a little different to have behind a 86 or 87.

Steven B.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, Steven B said:

If we're looking at train packs and new models, then the Mk2 Pullmans would be something a little different to have behind a 86 or 87.

Maybe an 86, but ISTR they were vacuum braked until withdrawal and were only converted afterwards.

But MK2 Pullmans would be awesome!

Edited by frobisher

• RMweb Gold
59 minutes ago, frobisher said:

Maybe an 86, but ISTR they were vacuum braked until withdrawal and were only converted afterwards.

But MK2 Pullmans would be awesome!

I've all but given up on Dapol now. I've got two trains (HST and Voyager) on pre-order. One has been pre-order for two years, the other for a year. I was even told by a representative at Warley that the Voyager was going into production having agreed on the livery.

I don't understand what their game is. If they can't make production runs why bother to announce anything? Why do they continue to pretend that they want to service the N scale market? They clearly aren't serious about it any more.

Edited by AndrueC

54 minutes ago, AndrueC said:

I've all but given up on Dapol now. I've got two trains (HST and Voyager) on pre-order. One has been pre-order for two years, the other for a year. I was even told by a representative at Warley that the Voyager was going into production having agreed on the livery.

I don't understand what their game is. If they can't make production runs why bother to announce anything? Why do they continue to pretend that they want to service the N scale market? They clearly aren't serious about it any more.

That's a bit strong, Dapol have been consistently re-running items for years, added new liveries, did a HST Prototype, the clas 68, Mk3 sleepers, Maunsells and have other stuff in development. 

I would agree things went quiet during the O gauge expedition after Dave Jones left them to take the modelling world by storm but things seem to be stepping up again and I do hope the M7 is an abberation.

• RMweb Gold
26 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

That's a bit strong, Dapol have been consistently re-running items for years, added new liveries, did a HST Prototype, the clas 68, Mk3 sleepers, Maunsells and have other stuff in development. 

I would agree things went quiet during the O gauge expedition after Dave Jones left them to take the modelling world by storm but things seem to be stepping up again and I do hope the M7 is an abberation.

We have new Swallow and Blue/Grey HST sets coming soon, with the Midland Mainline and Blue Pullman sets a bit later. We should be getting the deco samples of the Class 221 Super Voyagers really soon. Please remember that it is easy for us to design the liveries but getting a production slot in China can be hard.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1