Cancelled Pre-order at Hattons

cctransuk

I have just been notified that my pre-order for Hornby R3897 Ruston 88DS 4wDM diesel shunter 20 in BR blue has been cancelled, as they cannot obtain sufficient stock from Hornby.

This seems to be a common problem amongst list members; is this symptomatic of Hornby moving towards direct sales only?

John Isherwood.

1 minute ago, cctransuk said:

I have just been notified that my pre-order for Hornby R3897 Ruston 88DS 4wDM diesel shunter 20 in BR blue has been cancelled, as they cannot obtain sufficient stock from Hornby.

This seems to be a common problem amongst list members; is this symptomatic of Hornby moving towards direct sales only?

John Isherwood.

There was, if I remember correctly, a previous, similar event with Hattons, possibly the Rocket, possibly not.  They had simply taken more orders than they had been allocated, in the hope that there would be enough others becoming spare, elsewhere and it backfired - 'cos there were no spares, as it turned out.  Perhaps the same, or similar event again?

• RMweb Premium

I've just had the same. I had quite a few pre-orders with them for Hornby items that have all been cancelled.

It would be nice if Hattons could give a better explanation as to why they have all been cancelled

As it is they no longer stock Bachmann, if they aren't going to stock Hornby either.... 

• Agree 1

Just now, jcredfer said:

There was, if I remember correctly, a previous, similar event with Hattons, possibly the Rocket, possibly not.  They had simply taken more orders than they had been allocated, in the hope that there would be enough others becoming spare, elsewhere and it backfired - 'cos there were no spares, as it turned out.  Perhaps the same, or similar event again?

Unfortunately, the net result will be that I am reallocating my pre-orders for other items from Hattons.

Once bitten, twice shy.

John Isherwood.

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

John Isherwood.

There is a thread on similar cancelled pre orders John

No one knows .

However we do know that Hattons is particularly affected , perhaps because they are the biggest, or perhaps Hornby think they can have the trade to themselves . Who knows.

We do know other traders affected, but perhaps not to same extent. Usually the model is available still to order direct from Hornby . So with no hard information , and no one asking questions I think we have to come to our own conclusions 

Edited by Legend
  • Agree 4

I’ve just had my pre-order for Hornby R3872 “Trainbow” GWR 800 cancelled. This has happened to me before on other items from Hattons which meant missing out. In future, I’ll be sourcing from elsewhere leaving Hattons last port of call...

• Friendly/supportive 3

All of the rest of mine Hornby pre orders, SR Nelson , 2 SR dining saloon , Peckett W4 Crawshaw, 2 LNER P2 's and even rose cottage, all gone now,

very dissapointed because the SR items were ordered at once when announced, so wondering which criterion they used for who get cancelled and who are not, unless they get non of these all.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

It would be good if there was an explanation from someone. I have heard from other shop owners that Hornby aren’t always very supportive of retailers. Also I’ve heard that, due to demand exceeding supply, retailers don’t always get what they order from various suppliers. It does seem to me that It Hattons aren’t doing themselves any favours by not explaining why.

• Agree 2

• AY Mod locked this topic