• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Wrenn said:

Hi thanks for sharing your TMD layout. It's looks a lovely little layout with some really nice modelling.:good:

Thank you! It's been great fun to do. It could in theory get integrated into a larger layout at some point in the future.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

A spare catenary dropper - the final versions have a loop soldered onto the upper horizontal member just below the insulators for the catenary (or 'messenger') wire.image.png.d19fdc765eeb8c9dbf97151d6bcf52c0.png

And the testbed.

image.png.ba94cb2fb84746c912e0c1bc3fd8ea88.png

Using the Peco mast to get the dimensions, I drew a sketch on graph paper, based on a photo of the real thing. I used .75mm nickel silver rod for the main triangle and side assembly, and .5mm brass wire for the registration arm (I think that’s what it’s called) that holds the contact wire. I found this flexed a little too much on some so some got replaced with slightly thicker wire. I used thin masking tape to hold down the components that needed soldering. I made a top piece out of a strip of plasticard, and insulators from 0.3mm brass wire coiled around the .75mm nickel silver wire. Apart from the soldered joints they are glued together with superglue. The thing is to ensure the contact wire is lower than any other parts of the assembly or the pan head will catch it. The contact wires are held in place with a blob of superglue, and this can be heated with a soldering iron if you want to remove a piece of wire for maintenance. The gantries are the Scale Model Scenary ones.

Edited by 97406
  • Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

DSCF0102.JPG.4fd7b5932122c6cb74d3e26035bb7adb.JPGA break from the scenery to concentrate on the eponymous 97406 which is a Lima model with newly-grafted Bachmann cabs. Alongside a Bachmann 40 and 45, and ViTrains 47.

DSCF0102.JPG

Edited by 97406
  • Like 11

• RMweb Gold
On 04/06/2021 at 01:20, DBC90024 said:

Have you thought about electrifying the shed part ? (by extending the gantries to the left and slightly raising the height of the space above the locos to accomodate OLE ?

Kat@johnsonstreetIEMD

That was the original intention. The shed was modified so it is high enough to accommodate wires, and the gantries reached over the shed lines at one point, but they made photography more difficult due to more posts to get in between the locos and the camera. There was also a concern about 12” to the foot scale hands and cats interfering with the catenary at the front of the layout, so a decision was reached to electrify just the main road in and the rearmost sidings.  Here’s a couple of earlier pics with the original gantries, which were in the process of being revised in the second photo. If it ever gets integrated into a larger layout, then it will be extended to the front, so more wires may appear.

DSC01515.JPG

DSCF0009.JPG

Edited by 97406
  • Like 12

Just come across your thread 97406, great looking layout. I like the plan and the Catenary it really captures the look and feel of a busy TMD. Look forward to seeing some more pics :) 

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, DBC90024 said:

Them cats ... lol ...

I am planning to get some clear perspex panels to cover the front of the layout - and am pondering a lid of sorts - as Rox is just too curious.

Kat@johnsonstreetIEMD 

The layout resides in a couple of old chests of drawers and the tops have been fashioned into lids that go over the top, but they're often left off as I nip up and tinker with the thing quite a lot. The cats seem to show little interest, but one of them has jumped onto it when I've been working on or running the layout when he wants some fuss. There is a stick with a bit of wire kept near the layout to distract him. The cat-enary is superglued to the baseboard and is designed to break away rather than bend, so in theory I can just replace any damaged sections. Time will tell!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, sb67 said:

They look very good 97406 :good: I really like the way you can use your layout as a photo plank, if you didn't know better that could be a stretch of mainline! 

Thank you. I’m now up to the point where I am adding the smaller and smaller details, such as relay cabinets, and people, which will come next. I quite fancy doing a depot open day scene with it, lots of stalls and people, plus D200 and Flying Scotsman doing brake van rides. All in a form that can be removed and it then reverts back to a working depot again.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Love the ICI hoppers, I have a full 18 wagon rake myself, as a driver at Northern Man-Picc until 3 years ago, I signed parts of their route, Chinley, Northwich as well as Buxton. Always loved driving through the Peak district.

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, dmu 156 said:

Love the ICI hoppers, I have a full 18 wagon rake myself, as a driver at Northern Man-Picc until 3 years ago, I signed parts of their route, Chinley, Northwich as well as Buxton. Always loved driving through the Peak district.

One of my earliest memories was standing on Navvi Road station with my Mum, getting electric shocks off her because of the 25kV and being scared half to death by the ICI hoppers behind a blue or green 25 or 40. The noise was immense, and those two particular classes are my favourites. I lived near Skelton Junction and often used to hear the squeal of the goods trains as they went round the curve. Quite atmospheric, especially at night. 

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1