• RMweb Gold

Great memories, I used to live in Woodhousee Park so not to far from yourself, Im a member of the Manchester Model Railway Society so I run my ICIs on 'Dewsbury Midland' ,  I moved to York 3 years ago but I still make the journey for club nights, or .at least I will do again when all covid restrictions are lifted.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

New arrivals on shed. 47704 is a resprayed Vitrains model, and will remain ex-works (just as I remember seeing them at Crewe). The 20 and a Railfreight liveried counterpart will be worked on next. I’m still undecided on whether the 50 needs a windscreen-and-nose-job or not as it captures the look well as it is.

DSCF0166.jpg

Edited by 97406
  • Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Just been catching up on the thread - a few weeks since I checked in here.  Really like the way the layout works as a scenic setting for a wide variety of locos - with some parts under the wires and the shed not under wire everything can look like it’s in the right place (this is ‘my era’ too - so every class looks familiar).  Most enjoyable - thank you for sharing, Keith.

Edited by Keith Addenbrooke
(grammar)
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
On 10/07/2021 at 08:02, Keith Addenbrooke said:

Just been catching up on the thread - a few weeks since I checked in here.  Really like the way the layout works as a scenic setting for a wide variety of locos - with some parts under the wires and the shed not everything can loom like it’s in the right place (this is ‘my era’ too - so every class looks familiar).  Most enjoyable - thank you for sharing, Keith.

Thank you for the kind words. The layout is based in the 80s, so it covers the period from when just about every loco was banger blue up until the sectors emerged. Happy days they were! I’ve also been toying with the idea of some blue/green transition stock and have a few items from that era already.

Edited by 97406
  • Like 2

These lineups all look fantastic - this compact layout is the perfect setting for your extensive fleet. I still think the idea of making it look like a main running line from certain angles is absolute genius, have you taken any more photos in that style?

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
On 14/07/2021 at 23:26, TechnicArrow said:

These lineups all look fantastic - this compact layout is the perfect setting for your extensive fleet. I still think the idea of making it look like a main running line from certain angles is absolute genius, have you taken any more photos in that style?

I'm a little short of wagons and coaches, but....

The pics are taken with a Fuji FInepix S5800 digital camera, aperture priority mode, smallest aperture (F13.6) for depth of field, long exposure on a tripod. I have used the best white balance setting in the later pics to give the impression of sunshine. It's lit by a 100W equivalent LED bulb in the ceiling fixture. The pictures are cropped to remove the bedroom wall and the furniture that the layout lives in.

DSCF0203.jpg

Edited by 97406
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold
31 minutes ago, DBC90024 said:

I know that feeling .. not cans .. their stable friends, the Skodas.

I haven’t got one of those yet, as they were a little after the original era I was going to model. However I since blurred the lines a bit and I keep eyeing up that Bachmann Belgian livery one and rubbing my thighs in a Vic Reeves stylee! If they’re still available come payday, I may just avail myself of one. I did think about the Hornby ones, but the windscreens don’t look quite right. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, 97406 said:

I haven’t got one of those yet, as they were a little after the original era I was going to model. However I since blurred the lines a bit and I keep eyeing up that Bachmann Belgian livery one and rubbing my thighs in a Vic Reeves stylee! If they’re still available come payday, I may just avail myself of one. I did think about the Hornby ones, but the windscreens don’t look quite right. 

The Bachmann 90s are in a different league to the Hornby 90, which to all intense of purpose is a railroad model, not even a match to their own 87 never mind a Bachmann 90. Its good that (a) Bachmann have managed to deliver the first batch and (b) there are a number of skilled re-liveriers like @Squirrel Rail out there to keep the non Freightliner, IC Swallow or RfD 90 fans satisfied otherwise i would be climbing the walls by now.

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
On 16/07/2021 at 00:26, DBC90024 said:

The Bachmann 90s are in a different league to the Hornby 90, which to all intense of purpose is a railroad model, not even a match to their own 87 never mind a Bachmann 90. Its good that (a) Bachmann have managed to deliver the first batch and (b) there are a number of skilled re-liveriers like @Squirrel Rail out there to keep the non Freightliner, IC Swallow or RfD 90 fans satisfied otherwise i would be climbing the walls by now.

I quite fancy going down the Hornby/PH designs route as I enjoy that part of the hobby the most. I have a couple of 20s and 31s to finish first, though in the next couple of weeks. But I’m not too fussed about sound, lights or DCC at this point. If at some point the layout gets incorporated into something bigger, then that will all change, of course.

Edited by 97406