• RMweb Gold

Been working on my Choppers (no laughing, please at the back!). 132 is a respray from a green'un. 063 is out of the box, but weathered. Both have had flush cabside windows added. 132 may just get weathered a little, bit it is technically ex-works right now.DSCF0209.jpg.47cc6ae703f1daaf8facfbfb132a7c4c.jpg

Edited by 97406
  • Like 7

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

After much deliberation, I'm fitting Shawplan windscreens to all my remaining 40s and 37s. I'll document this in the Skills and Knowledge section when I have a decent set of pictures from the work in progress, but here's a taster.

DSCF0251b.jpg

Edited by 97406
  • Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Hi 97406,

Loving the layout concept with the track plan allowing you to simulate a main line diaorama from the different angle. I like the part catenary as it gives some operational interest and limitations to think about when marshalling the locos. 
I’m looking at a similar sort of concept in N gauge to enable a quick layout to play with and use for pics and your track plan inspires me.

Also loving the conversion/modification of the Class 40s to departmental numbers…something also on my radar for a couple of N Gauge models. It helps to place the layout in the Crewe/Stafford are which enhances its credibility with the buildings and catenary complement the scene.

All the Best,

Stu from EGVN.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the nice comments @P.C.M and @Stu from EGDL. I just wish I had more time to expand things, but work takes up a lot of my time at the moment. There is a plan afoot for when I retire, but there’s still a few years to go. Still, the little layout suffices for now. I had my first feline incursion the other day, bending one piece of catenary wire and a lamp post. They bent back OK and now the covers are deployed. 

Edited by 97406
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

A refurbished 37 outshopped from Crewe Works complete with the Shawplan windscreen conversion. The moral to this one’s story is ‘Make the glazing fit, rather than pressing it firmly into place when it doesn’t fit or the etch breaks free’. Still, the yellow acrylic paint filled in the gap and makes for a strong bond when it dries.

DSCF0300.jpg

Edited by 97406
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, 6990WitherslackHall said:

Brilliant layout. Good job modifying the locos

Why thank you! I am finding it all very therapeutic. I make a fair few mistakes, but if something isn’t right, then I’ll go back and revisit it. Also taking photos of newly-completed locos on the layout highlights any areas that need fettling, that you just wouldn’t notice with the naked eye. There’s a lot of minor detailing jobs left to do. The MW jumpers are overscale on the 37s and I need lifting points on the newer 40s, for instance. But the capture the essence of the originals a little better now than straight out the box.

Edited by 97406
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 27/09/2021 at 13:42, P.C.M said:

Those Shawplan window etches certainly make a difference. The 37 looks good too, I lowered mine to sit better on the bogies, might be worth a look.

Cheers Peter.

I’ve been umming and aahing about lowering them. The 40 retools are easy as there’s a plastic piece at the top of the bogie tower that you can sand down very easily, using verniers to measure. I removed about 0.8mm off them. The 37 looks a bit more fiddly. Looks like either grinding down the  2 raised portions on the Mazac chassis block, or perhaps removing 1mm or so off the plastic piece on the top of the bogie tower. The latter looks easier. Will have a look on here when I don’t have to go back to work. Have you documented it on one of your threads?

On 29/09/2021 at 23:21, 97406 said:

I’ve been umming and aahing about lowering them. The 40 retools are easy as there’s a plastic piece at the top of the bogie tower that you can sand down very easily, using verniers to measure. I removed about 0.8mm off them. The 37 looks a bit more fiddly. Looks like either grinding down the  2 raised portions on the Mazac chassis block, or perhaps removing 1mm or so off the plastic piece on the top of the bogie tower. The latter looks easier. Will have a look on here when I don’t have to go back to work. Have you documented it on one of your threads?

I am trying to remember what I did, I think i removed plastic from the gear tower. I read about it on this forum somewhere so you should be able to search for it. I can't remember if I mentioned it on my thread it was a while ago that I did one.

Cheers Peter.

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, P.C.M said:

I am trying to remember what I did, I think i removed plastic from the gear tower. I read about it on this forum somewhere so you should be able to search for it. I can't remember if I mentioned it on my thread it was a while ago that I did one.

Cheers Peter.

I'm thinking the plastic bit at the top of the tower as well. I'll try it on Teesside Steelmaster, which is waiting to go into the paint shop...

DSCF0309.jpg

• Like 3