Melcombe Road Sidings: A beginner's inglenook

• RMweb Premium

I went down to the Watercress Line yesterday for a ride behind the S&DRT's 7F 53808.

DSCF5165-web.jpeg.2045bd4768ef85927bbb3dd2e7a65d9c.jpeg

Today, I got out all three 7Fs that I have. From left to right, they are 13800, 13804 (both kit built in the late '70s/early '80s) and then 13810 (Bachmann 2016)

IMG_4342.jpeg.efefeb2bb73f4d30a5295d8039d11808.jpeg

As you can see, the two from my father need some TLC, which I hope to get going on this winter.

Edited by RobAllen
  • Like 10

• RMweb Premium

I've not been particularly happy with the way the warehouse was sitting as it regularly showed a gap with the back board. Also, you could see the blue through northlight windows.

Today, I solved both of these by painting the windows black on the inside and and gluing it properly to the back board. It looks a bit clean though, so I think I'll need to learn a little about weathering buildings soon…

IMG_4394-web.jpeg.6171af04604bbe6690ec2e441972bc83.jpeg

• Like 12

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

New-to-me Jinty has arrived. It's DCC, so is intended for Holcombe, but I couldn't resist posing it on Melcombe Road.

New Jinty at Melcombe Road Sidings

As I don't have DCC yet, I also took it up to the club last night where it ran really well.

Running my new-to-me Jinty on the Club layout

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Inspired by @KNP's excellent photo of 9319 with the background in in focus on Little Muddle, I decided that I really should learn how to do these types of shots.

My Fujifilm X-H2 has a focus bracketing feature, so I googled how to use it and created 60 images all with slightly different focus points from front to back. I'm glad that the camera can do this automatically.

I already own Affinity Photo, and via more googling, I discovered that it has a "Focus Merge" menu item. I clicked it, added the 60 photos and pressed OK. After some whirring and clicking, it produced this image of 7412 at Melcombe Road.

7412 at Melcombe Road

Quite happy with this and now I know how to do it!

• Like 5
  • Round of applause 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

As Melcombe Road Sidings is inspired by the Co-op siding at Twerton just outside Bath on the S&DJR, I clearly had to purchase this model from the SDRT!

Twerton wagon at Melcome Road

Edited by RobAllen
  • Like 5

Got to love the S and D. Dad took us poking around Highbridge works in the mid to late 60s. So scared we were going to get arrested!   I assume you have seen the Betjeman video? I could almost watch it on repeat.

• Like 1