LSWR coach found as house demolished

Kris

• RMweb Gold

In the days when I was doing EPCs, I found one of these. A GWR 38'6 clerestory (minus roof) in the middle of a 4-bedroom bungalow close to Aldermaston station.

Even as a railway enthusiast, it took me a while to realise what I had found.

• Like 2

There is a large bungalow near Wakefield built around an old carriage. The local authority tried several times to have it demolished as it had no planning permission but failed every time. Apparently, because the carriage was in use as a dwelling before the relevant laws came into force it doesn't need permission and neither does any 'extention' to it.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I know of another bungalow in Cornwall that is built around a carriage. It came up for sale a few months ago. It was interesting enough to have a good look at (as a potential purchaser). The carriage was not easy to notice.  

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

There are quite a few around. This group is at Winchelsea Beach in Sussex. 

I seem to remember a very up market one coming up for sale a few years back. I think that it was at or near Selsey. All the compartments had been retained as individual rooms. I thought that there had been a thread about properties like these as part of a conversation about 'Plotlands' - the land made available to veterans of WW1, on which all sorts of homes were erected. I can't see it here. Maybe it was while I was on Flickr.

In a similar vein some of the houseboats at Shoreham-by-sea have motor vehicles in their structures.

The Verda Shoreham houseboat 27 6 2011  4net.jpg

Robin's nest Shoreham Houseboats 9 4 2015.jpg

Edited by phil_sutters
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

There are quite a few in the collection of beach huts/residences at Dungeness. Last time we went there, a chap was doing some work on one and we went to speak to him about it. He let us have a look inside and on the internal (non visible from walking past) side, the carriage was still in pre-grouping varnished teak livery with all its original lettering.

They were put there as holiday homes for railway staff from Ashford.

A quick google search on Dungeness railway carriage houses will find a few references.

edit to add a link

https://theromneymarsh.net/dungenessbuildings

Edited by t-b-g
to add link
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

In the days when I was doing EPCs, I found one of these. A GWR 38'6 clerestory (minus roof) in the middle of a 4-bedroom bungalow close to Aldermaston station.

Even as a railway enthusiast, it took me a while to realise what I had found.

But what rating did you give it?

I lived in Bognor Regis for a short time in 1988-9. There were a lot of railway carriage-based bungalows around there. I lived in Felpham, which is the eastern extremity of Bognor, and there was a little clutch of them near Butlin's; but Pagham, at the far western end of town, had loads. Most of them had been "built on to" quite extensively, with all manner of lean-tos, new roofs etc., but there were plenty where you could still see the tumblehome of the carriage sides and some where the whole end profile of the coach was clearly visible in the end walls.

Most of them seem to have been rebuilt to the point where nothing railwayish is visible any more; but all these were taken off Google Streetview today:

Pagham:

Pagham.PNG.c5120753ef8257afc0edc070435d0ca6.PNG

Pagham again (a bit of panelling visible in the middle)

Pagham2.PNG.d29aa7338abec1f7ea2b0b6f9f1ce87e.PNG

Felpham (a couple of survivors)

Felpham.PNG.e44190e8306546c37758f073ba91874d.PNG

Jim

• Like 3

There used to be  a small bungalow sat between two sections of  railway carriage, just to the north of Gristhorpe village , between Filey and Scarborough.

On a slight hill, it could be seen clearly from the main road as the road curved round to enter the village proper.

I don't think it is there now?

Plus, the roads themselves have changed out of all proportion from when I drove for United and EYMS on the 121 route.

[The Plough Inn used to be on the landward side of the main road...now it is on the seaward side!!!!]

• RMweb Premium

Here in coastal Norfolk I can see half a dozen railway carriage bungalows, from my front window. some fairly obvious, others are mostly enclosed.

It must have been quite an exersize getting them there, down single track lanes with 90degree corners.

• Like 1

When I was house hunting on the Romney Marsh in 2002 I looked at a house at New Beach between Dymchurch and Hythe, an 8 bedroom house. It looked very 1970s build and inside were no1 but 2 carriages parallel to each other with about 12' between them. They were totally enclosed by the brickwork. At 90 degrees across the far end was a mezzanine floor with more living space. Ic couldn't get a mortgage so that purchase never went ahead.

• Like 1