New magazine, Trackside.

Dan Griffin

• RMweb Gold

Link to the website for anyone wanting to buy online, or to see the front cover image so you know what to look for at WH Smith*:

Trackside magazine

* other newsagents are available.

• Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

43 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

I'll have a look at it. But looks a bit "bookazine" to my eyes.

Jason

Its not really, Its priced at £4.75 so significantly cheaper than a bookazine and it reads like the mags do,  

3 minutes ago, Dan Griffin said:

Its not really, Its priced at £4.75 so significantly cheaper than a bookazine and it reads like the mags do,  

I was more thinking of the content and layout rather than price.

"Britain's Classic Seaside Lines" seems a bit more aimed at the general public.

I'll have a look at some point. I've been very disappointed with Steam Railway over the last year or two. Even pre Covid I was thinking there was nothing in it and was "reading" it in about an hour. Which is disappointing as I've been getting it from the start.

Jason

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Sounds interesting, I'll have a look for it the next time I'm in whsmiths.

19 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

It'll have to battle for visibility amongst the other rail mags, and front page mention of articles that might interest the Great British Public* might get a few sales.

* Sorry, I got carried away by the governments rebranding of the railway system...

4 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

I was more thinking of the content and layout rather than price.

I'll have a look at some point. I've been very disappointed with Steam Railway over the last year or two. Even pre Covid I was thinking there was nothing in it and was "reading" it in about an hour. Which is disappointing as I've been getting it from the start.

Jason

I see what you mean now, the cover on their website differs from the actual production version i have.  No mention of 'classic seaside lines'. 

image0.jpeg

• Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium

Very basic amateurish website with no legal ownership/publisher information on it at all that I have been able to find.  Caution advised if considering online purchase....

• Agree 1

26 minutes ago, 5944 said:

https://suite.endole.co.uk/insight/company/13258921-transport-publishing-network-limited

Tony Streeter, former editor of Steam Railway. 

Paul Appleton, publicity officer for 6880 Betton Grange. 

That's interesting because Tony Streeter now appears to be doing a column in Steam World as well after his final departure from Steam Railway in the past couple of months.

I've subscribed to SR for many years now and have thought that the last couple of issues seem to have been scraping the barrel for things to write in there. I know Covid hasn't helped with news stories, but they seemed to have managed to come up with an excellent, 8 page long, article on the Beavertail car restoration a mere 3 issues back...

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Johann Marsbar said:

That's interesting because Tony Streeter now appears to be doing a column in Steam World as well after his final departure from Steam Railway in the past couple of months.

I've subscribed to SR for many years now and have thought that the last couple of issues seem to have been scraping the barrel for things to write in there. I know Covid hasn't helped with news stories, but they seemed to have managed to come up with an excellent, 8 page long, article on the Beavertail car restoration a mere 3 issues back...

To be fair all of the main prototype magazines  (Railway Magazine, Railways Illustrated, Heritage Railway and Steam Railway) have been struggling for fresh content from the preservation sector since lockdown mainly because there hasnt really been anything happening. And of course with preservation we are now well into the cycle of repeat restorations as railways, loco's and stock have been worn out again  having been used intensively by preservationists over the past 50 years. 

Not sure there really is a need for a new print title but good luck to them. I think the way Warners/BRM/RMWEB is going is 'the future' for hobby publishing - there is no real equivalent of this type of resource and community in the preservation/heritage publishing sector -  they are a long way behind (although Key publishing seem to be moving this way). 

Im impressed with this first issue ( though always aware that first issue should be good to attract new readers), and look forward to the next, if the standard is maintained for first 6 months or so I would subscribe

Much better than Steam Railway which seems to have lost its way recently, and possibly no surprise that a number of ex Steam Railway names appear to be involved in contributing now and in future to Trackside

16 hours ago, MikeParkin65 said:

To be fair all of the main prototype magazines  (Railway Magazine, Railways Illustrated, Heritage Railway and Steam Railway) have been struggling for fresh content from the preservation sector since lockdown mainly because there hasnt really been anything happening. And of course with preservation we are now well into the cycle of repeat restorations as railways, loco's and stock have been worn out again  having been used intensively by preservationists over the past 50 years. 

Not sure there really is a need for a new print title but good luck to them. I think the way Warners/BRM/RMWEB is going is 'the future' for hobby publishing - there is no real equivalent of this type of resource and community in the preservation/heritage publishing sector -  they are a long way behind (although Key publishing seem to be moving this way). 

Interesting that you don’t mention Railway Magazine, which I believe has a bigger circulation than those you mention. 

I long ago gave up on Steam Railway and Heritage Railway mags and haven’t bought either for years. Even the article on the Talyllyn in the latest issue of SR couldn’t tempt me. 

I usually read Railway Mag for its mix of preservation and big railway articles and Narrow Gauge World but will take a look at the new mag and see. 

Andrew

• RMweb Gold
32 minutes ago, Andrew Young said:

Interesting that you don’t mention Railway Magazine, which I believe has a bigger circulation than those you mention. 

First one I mentioned and the one I have a subscription to Andrew :)

3 minutes ago, MikeParkin65 said:

First one I mentioned and the one I have a subscription to Andrew :)

D’oh! The perils of browsing RMWeb when our little dictator wakes me up at 05:30!

Same here with the RM subs. 

cheers,

Andrew

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, zigzag said:

Im impressed with this first issue ( though always aware that first issue should be good to attract new readers), and look forward to the next, if the standard is maintained for first 6 months or so I would subscribe

Much better than Steam Railway which seems to have lost its way recently, and possibly no surprise that a number of ex Steam Railway names appear to be involved in contributing now and in future to Trackside

I'm getting a touch of deja vu here, didn't the same thing happen 40 years ago? As a reader of the original Steam World this seems a bit familiar. I'm wondering if the end result will be the same.

• Agree 1

• 3 weeks later...

I just don't see the need for this magazine and the first issue didn't interest me much.

I agree with others on here that Steam Railway has obviously struggled for content this year. I don't know why.

How about interviews with David Blair, Mick Roberts or some of the other mainline steam drivers for a start.

I'm not sure there's a need for a third preservation mag either but I'm reasonably impressed by this first issue - but they should be able to serve up an interesting first issue shouldn't they? There are a couple of thoughtful articles by Paul Lewin & Andrew Scott, & an absence of main-line steam performance articles & modelling articles which, as far as I'm concerned, is good (but how typical this 1st issue is remains to be seen). Being bi-monthly (as Dave has advised) will put it at a disadvantage for 50% of the year! Most remarkable of all is the fact that the page width is 23cm, so 2cm wider that A4! What on earth is the point of adopting a slightly non-standard page size?

I buy SR & HR when an issue has something that particularly grabs my attention - so probably about 6/year. I guess I'll now consider Trackside in a similar fashion.

Edited by martinT
Correction re Dave's bi-monthly emails
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
On 21/05/2021 at 16:57, Dave47549 said:

Well, I blinked first. Having seen a copy when i was out earlier, I thought I'd treat myself & give it a try. No personal critique yet as I've only just got home, but this snap of the contents page will let you know what to find inside.

Phil's posted a better website link above with publisher contact details, but they can also be found on my snap.

It's bi-monthly at present, with issue #2 due on July 16th.

IMG_20210521_164731.jpg

Looked at it in smiths but on opening the cover and seeing this I nearly threw it across the shop !!!

Davey Blair is a very good friend of mine, makes a pleasant change to see him smiling! 

3 hours ago, martinT said:

I'm not sure there's a need for a third preservation mag either but I'm reasonably impressed by this first issue - but they should be able to serve up an interesting first issue shouldn't they? There are a couple of thoughtful articles by Paul Lewin & Andrew Scott, & an absence of main-line steam performance articles & modelling articles which, as far as I'm concerned, is good (but how typical this 1st issue is remains to be seen). No-one seems to have remarked on the fact that it is bi-monthly which will put it at a disadvantage for 50% of the year! Most remarkable of all is the fact that the page width is 23cm, so 2cm wider that A4! What on earth is the point of adopting a slightly non-standard page size?

I buy SR & HR when an issue has something that particularly grabs my attention - so probably about 6/year. I guess I'll now consider Trackside in a similar fashion.

The normal reason for 'non-standard' size is to get greater prominence on newsagents' shelves. (CJL)

On 20/05/2021 at 14:00, Steamport Southport said:

I'll have a look at it. But looks a bit "bookazine" to my eyes.

Jason

Are you not a fan of bookazines?