World of Railways plus = RMweb Gold + much more - a new digital subscription service

AY Mod

• Moderators
7 minutes ago, THS92-GWR-NO said:

My apologies, didn't see that

I've just given you Gold access for 24 hours on here so you can see the difference in action.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, AY Mod said:

RMweb Gold is a lot cheaper than a TV licence and some people spend longer on here. ;)

Given the BBC's assumed level of intelligence of the majority of their viewers, based on their current programming, I'm not surprised.:) 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Stubby47 said:

Certain threads have just as many repeats though...

Certain threads have just as many repeats though...

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, Welchester said:

Isn't that the Welsh national anthem?

No. 

Edited by NHY 581
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

Certain threads have just as many repeats though...

"And coming up on Rmweb, another chance to read that 1980s classic "Why oh Why oh Why havnt Hornby made that obscure prototype that only I want." This week, discussing the Maryport & Carlisle Railway's 18 Class......"

• Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
33 minutes ago, Donw said:

If you just think of the £70 as a subscription to the mags you get the RMWeb gold free.

Don

That's the problem Don! I already pay for a print subscription to the mag I want (BRM) so another 70 quid for digital copies of mags that I don't want doesn't make sense for me.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
20 hours ago, griffgriff said:

The issue I have is that until everyone is happy that the platform works reliably then I’m reluctant to shell out £70 ….. it’s a bit like a trip back to the 70s to buy a Morris Marina ;)

Griff

I think that's an impossible ask. There's no way everyone will be happy about that. Yes, there have been issues recently but let's not lose sight of what a wonderful resource this site is. That does not change, gold membership or not. 

It depends how you use the site really. 

Looking at the additional benefits as described, from my own perspective. 

"What are the benefits of becoming a 'Gold Member'? "
All members will benefit from:
•    Access to the BRM Digital Library – 150+ magazines going back to 2007, plus all future issues.

Moved on all paper copies. Memsahib happy as another pile of dusty magazines gone. 

•    One free ticket to a Warners exhibition each year.

Not used yet but there if needed. 

•    The ability to sell products in the new RMweb ‘Classified’ area.

That works for me 

•    RMweb unlimited image size ability per post.

I post a lot of photos and some of my images are large. 

•    RMweb increased PM storage.

I use this a lot to keep in touch with chums. Very simple and straightforward. 

•    RMweb Private Personal Image Gallery. 

Just exploring this 

•    Exclusive RMweb Gold Private Forum.

Probably the least used bit but it's there if I feel the need. 

I'm happy to pay out but if it doesn't work for you then don't do it. You're not compelled to. 

Carry on using the site for free. 

Rob. 

Edited by NHY 581
  • Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

•    Access to the BRM Digital Library – 150+ magazines going back to 2007, plus all future issues.

Moved on all paper copies. Memsahib happy as another pile of dusty magazines gone. 

I prefer paper magazines so digital access doesn't add any value for me. My paper subscription costs me a lot more than £70, by the way.

No value to me at all from here.

That works for me 

I'd probably use that if it were available but it's not a "clincher".

I've never had to worry about the 10Mb limit.

My PM box is only about 50% full.

Just exploring this 

I have no use for this.

A forum within a forum? Why?

In short, if I could have Gold membership as part of a paper subscription deal I'd be delighted to sign up. Moreover, I'd be happy to pay extra to secure future access to RMweb - but not another 70 quid.

So, roll on "Silver" membership and/or a paper subscription deal.

• Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, St Enodoc said:

I prefer paper magazines so digital access doesn't add any value for me….

…So, roll on "Silver" membership and/or a paper subscription deal.

That’d work for me too.  The Gold / WoR+ offering is fantastic for those it suits, and offers incredible value when you think of the archive access alone, but I think the “Silver” idea + keeping my paper subscription will fit best with how I engage with the hobby.  I believe a “Silver” idea is under consideration, just doesn’t have a discussion thread to explore the concept further.

Not sure I’ll need a Silver only Forum to talk to @St Enodoc as part of it though - his layout thread provides great conversation and good modelling already (I’ll guess that will remain part of the ‘first class’ offering only).

For those reading this thread to find out about the Gold / WoR+ product, it does give you the whole on-line sweet shop, and definitely worth checking out.

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

I think that's an impossible ask. There's no way everyone will be happy about that. Yes, there have been issues recently but let's not lose sight of what a wonderful resource this site is. That does not change, gold membership or not. 

It depends how you use the site really. 

Looking at the additional benefits as described, from my own perspective. 

"What are the benefits of becoming a 'Gold Member'? "

That works for me 

Just exploring this 

I'm happy to pay out but if it doesn't work for you then don't do it. You're not compelled to. 

Carry on using the site for free. 

Rob. 

I’m pleased for you. It obviously works for you but it’s obvious it doesn’t work for some and I’m not pay £70 for something they may or may not display adverts… this is the only feature I’m interested in as I have no use for anything else…. Besides as long as the video box thing keeps appearing in the same place my thumb has learnt where to be to be able click on the X quick enough. It’s no big deal for the amount of time I use the site.

Griff

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, griffgriff said:

I’m pleased for you. It obviously works for you but it’s obvious it doesn’t work for some and I’m not pay £70 for something they may or may not display adverts… this is the only feature I’m interested in as I have no use for anything else…. Besides as long as the video box thing keeps appearing in the same place my thumb has learnt where to be to be able click on the X quick enough. It’s no big deal for the amount of time I use the site.

Griff

Thanks Griff. 

I am as pleased for you as you are seemingly pleased for me. Most kind. 

You make a valid point but it's interesting that you're only interested in the adverts most aren't, me included. 

But we are all different with needs and interests. 

For my 4.99 a month I get my monthly BRM along with an appropriate access to the forum for the use I put it to. 

All good. 

Rob. 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Other companies are moving the same way with chargeable access and the same cost v benefit equation applies. One that was free (KMW) is now £3.99 per month or an annual slightly cheaper fee to access what they class as premium content, mag subs from that publisher are extra. Not enough content over and above what I pay here and the mag sub is all I want from them, there is nothing in it for me to justify the extra £47.88 per an.

Another railway magazine publisher offers a monthly digital subscription but only resells their archived digital copies as individual issues. I have already bought those as hard copy, would be happy to pay say £50 pa just to save the shelf space taken up by my back copies but the offer isn't available.

I suspect none of us will subscribe to all the available options in digital format and in Society memberships and will have to be selective and pick and mix based on a horses for course selection.

To end on a positive note the WoW/Gold deal suits me, other than the relatively minor issue with page size on i-pads; I say minor as it is liveable with but is mildly irritating to me. I very much like the extra content across the mags range and the bundled archive access. I can live with the screen formatting issue if it can't be fixed for browser reading.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

I subscribe to the printed magazine as well as the gold membership because I like having a physical magazine and like having access to older issues.…I’m just strange I suppose

Plus I imagine the money goes towards the upkeep of the forum

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, chuffinghell said:

I subscribe to the printed magazine as well as the gold membership because I like having a physical magazine and like having access to older issues.…I’m just strange I suppose

Plus I imagine the money goes towards the upkeep of the forum

Perfectly rational I'd say - if you dip into the archive for specific articles and / or topics the digital format may be ideal, but for a monthly read it can be nice to hold the book (plus you get the digital extras).  The bit you pay twice for is only a fraction of the WoR+ offering.  I imagine there are others who do the same. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

FWIW the subscription would be of very little value to me, as I am a European HO modeller.

None of the magazines or archieves are of any use to me whatsoever.

I would only be interested in some form of ad-free subscription & I expect that there is/will be an ad-blocker out there anyway.

I'd be quite happy to contribute via a "buy us a coffee" type thing, say when somebody had been particually helpful.

This forum is a wealth of knowledge but I suspect that with most forums they still need a certain amount of non-subscription members to keep traffic levels from dropping, but of course I may be wrong.

• Agree 1

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Sure been discussed elsewhere but I’m sure folks won’t mind a repeat! I’m sure I’ve read Gold kills the annoying pop up videos? I’m seriously thinking about Gold for that alone.

I have a digital membership is that upgradable to Gold? Like I already pay 20 odd quid could that be knocked off a Gold membership?

cheers all.