Operating/viewing side

zigzag

Im planning a small terminus layout (station, small engine shed, small goods facilities/goods shed) which which will be L shaped with fiddle yard at right angles to scenic section.

I have space to arrange this either right or left handed, with the operating side either by the station or by the goods facilities.

Does anyone see any advantages/ disadvantages to either a station or goods side operating location.

Simple sketch plan below may make things clearer, is operating from side A or B preferable.

16215239622767415712190591505280.jpg

If you use DCC stationary decoders you can install momentary push buttons on the fascia  to change turnouts.  These can be installed on both sides of the layout.

I did this and I am pleased with the flexibility:

P1010019.JPG.b73ad98bb1be3121ab2eb452ded855ed.JPG

This is the front of the layout.  The buttons (green) are adjacent to the turnouts.  There are two DCC panels for the throttle (NCE).

You just have to watch out that when you lean over the layout, your stomach may change the turnout.:jester:

P1010021.JPG.1be26fdb2d5b8d54f45758f0fd93afe2.JPG

The back of the layout with posts for backscene panels.  I use cabinet door magnets to attach the panels.

The layout is now further advanced and fully operational.

John

Edited by brossard
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

B is traditional. It allows you to uncouple arriving locos from their trains more easily, and generally deal with couplings more easily, when shunting the yard.

P.S. If your dotted track really is hidden, as implied, and if both arms were laid with the one opposite the FY being just a stub, you'd have a neat reversing triangle to turn locos...

• Agree 1

39 minutes ago, brossard said:

you use DCC stationary decoders you can install momentary push buttons on the fascia  to change turnouts. 

DCC is not a requirement for that, though I dare say the wiring to do it with standard switches is more complex. I've operated a layout with such switches installed on both sides so operation can be from all around, and the turnout control was by DC.

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Zomboid said:

DCC is not a requirement for that, though I dare say the wiring to do it with standard switches is more complex. I've operated a layout with such switches installed on both sides so operation can be from all around, and the turnout control was by DC.

It works if you use cut down bicycle spokes as advocated by CJF, too. Or just manual control if you can reach.

• RMweb Premium

Keep your options as flexible as possible as it will allow you to fix the operation side based on the location you are in. 

• RMweb Premium

I’ve built several layouts in recent years where I intended to operate from one side and later found either the other was actually better or it would have been nice to have the option to use either, so deciding to allow for the latter from the planning stage is I now think a good idea.

Thanks everyone

I was leaning towards B as that does seem to be the more traditional with more track within easy reach

The off scene turn through a right angle will be on a separate board, and at this stage not scenic, so its possible that it could be turned around if B proves to be unsatisfactory

Danemouth is virually the same as your plan in mirror image. I operate from the front using a Powercab and mini panel. All the points have Cobalt motors and can be operated from the Powercab' I have streamlined things by having macros programmed for various routes which simplifies operation wherever I am in front of the layout. Macros detailed here

Danemouth Operating Diagram.pdf

Dave

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Zomboid said:

If you have a separate control panel which plugs into the layout from underneath with 1 cable, this can be used from either side.

To prevent the track diagram being upside down, I didn't screw the front panel to the frame. I used magnetic blocks (the type used on some cabinets, which can be bought separately in hardware stores). If I wanted to use the control panel the other side, I could then just rotate the front.

It is easier to do than explain.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Much depends on the purpose of the layout.  If it is to be exhibited, then you need to decide if you need to operate from the front, where you will be distracted by questions (this can be a very enjoyable aspect of exhibiting), or from behind a backscene.  Both side operation is desirable in these instances.  If it is a home layout for your own use, then you need to be on the side you are operating it from, and will not need dual-side operation if it is erected permanently or even temporarily for operating sessions in the same or a similar location. 

Yours looks as if it is designed to be capable of erection in locations which need the fiddle yard to be on different sides, which is no doubt what prompted the question.  If this is the case, then you will need dual-side control, and backscenes for each orientation.  You do not say how wide the scenic baseboard is, but you will probably be able to uncouple stock in your station or goods yard easily enough from about 2 feet in from the edge of the board depending on it's and your height; this may be compromised when you are operating from the station side by the detail on the station, but the positions in the goods yard where most uncoupling is likely to be done are level with sort of half way along the platform, and seem to be fairly accessible from 'over the top' in terms of sticky-uppy things like signals or station buildings. 

A point to watch is that the loco uncoupling for the run around movement is not obstructed by the goods shed when you are operating from the goods yard side.  It might be an idea to test run the layout for operation before you finally fix the goods shed in position.  Also, keep the signal box out of the way of uncoupling areas, and the station throat is the ideal position for it.

You also do not say if you are using DC or DCC control, and it's none of our business, except that DCC can be managed without a wire connection to the controller, basically a full control panel in your hand that can drive the locos and operate the accessories, and this is possible in DC with app-based or hand unit based bluetooth 'untethered' controllers from Hornby HM6000 or Blue Trains respectively.  The Hornby system works well, and allows point and accessory control from your smartphone, but is basically a normal DC system and not a DC that performs as a DCC so there are limitations.

The B side is more commonly used as the viewing side because

• you get easier access to uncouple arriving locos
  • you can see the carriage underframes, canopy details, and so on more easily.
  • potentially more interesting  buildings along the approach road.

The A side can work very effectively, especially on a sprawling country station where you have room to model the station forecourt and so on. One of the attractions of such stations is that they can be quite pretty (especially in a somewhat idealised model), and the A-side allows some classic scenes to be emulated.

If you're modelling a  location on a hillside, it is normal to model from the downhill side for better visibility and because it makes a convincing back scene easier.

Thanks again, some useful & thoughtful replies, which have helped me

The layout will be just home operated, my fledgling modelling skills are no way up exhibiting

It will be dc, with boards around 18"- 24" wide, so reach shouldnt be a problem

I think I will go for B side, make a non scenic right angle board which could be reversed if B doesnt work, If I was to eventually switch to A then only backscenes & possibly some

scenery modificatiosn would require to be re-done

Next stage to draw out on some wall paper to size up, fine tune, etc, before bodging some boards together

• RMweb Gold

Which couplings you choose can make a difference 3 link couplings are much easier if you can see what you are doing  so side B is generally preferred. Also if the platforms are on the other side of the coaches from you and other viewing you wouldn't see the doors opening and people getting out so the fact they dont (well not on my layout anyway) doesn't disturb the illusion.

Don

• Funny 1