LNWR plate ID

dagrizz

We've been in Northumberland this week and the house next door has these items in the front window. I haven't seen any occupants (it may be a holiday cottage) to ask about the LNWR plate so can anyone say what it is please?

lnwr.jpg.2a1920de3023a215c00c20a6c865e4a9.jpg

Thanks

Graham

1 hour ago, Wickham Green too said:

Probably the same "proper collectors" who insist their model - sorry, TOY trains have to have a box .... which must be in mint condition.

Nope. I'm talking about proper collectors not people who are buying toys for a few pennies.

I mean people don't want them if they've been painted by someone who thinks they look nice after a coat of Hammerite or Humbrol Enamel paint smeared on them.

The same with nameplates. Cleaned nameplates are worth a fraction of what an ex loco condition one is worth. Repainted name and number plates are virtually worthless. So think about that next time the wife tells you to get the Brasso out and clean them.

I blame those TV programmes on daytime TV such as The Repair Shop and Money For Nothing. People are copying them and ruining thousands of pounds worth of furniture because they think they can repair the items themselves by going to B&Q and using cheap varnish. Whereas they should be getting them restored properly.

Jason

1 minute ago, JimC said:

Cleaned nameplates are worth a fraction of what an ex loco condition one is worth.

'cos obviously British Railways polish is utterly different to modern polish. It's daft, but that' s collecting for you. 

• RMweb Premium
On 21/05/2021 at 03:11, APOLLO said:

It's a bridge number plate.

Brit15

So any speculation as to which bridge it could be? Presumably the LNWR had several bridge 35's.

59 minutes ago, kevinlms said:

So any speculation as to which bridge it could be? Presumably the LNWR had several bridge 35's.

Probably hundreds. Impossible to tell. Each line from one specific point to another had bridges numbered in order.

Brit15

A different policy might apply elsewhere - my copy of the South Eastern Division Bridge Map runs from No.1 ( Craven Street Passage beneath Charing Cross station ) to 1855A ( Shingle Road near Greatstone ) as a single sequence covering the former South Eastern Railway lines ..... but the inclusion of the L.C.D.R. introduces a duplicate sequence.

• Agree 1

The plate is painted in LNWR colours of white lettering on a black background. The LMS would have repainted it as black letters on a white background. BR would have carried on using the LMS scheme but only shown the number in black. I doubt, with the possible exception of pre group days, if anyone took much care in painting bridge plates and by later BR days it would be a case of slap a brush full of distemper on it and wipe the numbers to show the black and rust through. So I don’t know what would be classed as steam age condition. This plate has clearly been restored but given a few years even that restoration will be classed as antique. Meanwhile if anyone has any loco nameplates which they consider are worthless because they have been cleaned up I will gladly give them a home, I might even pay the delivery cost. 

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...