RevolutioN to produce OO Gauge TU013A Caustic Soda Tank

MRDBLUE17

Just now, The Fatadder said:

Always nice to see more china clay wagons hitting the market, any idea of the withdrawal date for these?  I know there were still some two axle slurry tanks kicking around in 1998, just not sure which diagrams.  

The last ones were still in use in the very early 2000’s on workings up to Aberdeen 2001/2.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, MRDBLUE17 said:

Later the ICI branding was painted over.  Some wagons received the ATO chemicals branding, on the same base colour scheme, while in 1988 12 were repurposed for china clay slurry traffic between Burngullow, Mossend and Aberdeen and given ECC blue livery.

In the first run Revolution will be offering 19 different numbers overall with 9 in the original ICI livery, four in the original livery but branded ATO, four in ECC blue livery, and two in debranded china clay use.

Looking at the 'debranded' versions on your website, these look like the ones with the ATO chemicals branding, but with the ATO logo painted over.  However, I note that you refer to these as in china clay use.  Does that mean that these debranded wagons worked alongside the 12 in ECC blue livery in the latter years?  

17 minutes ago, MRDBLUE17 said:

The last ones were still in use in the very early 2000’s on workings up to Aberdeen 2001/2.

So what livery were these last wagons carrying: ECC blue livery, the debranded ATO wagons or a mix?  A little before my time, but there is always Rule 1.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Dungrange said:

Looking at the 'debranded' versions on your website, these look like the ones with the ATO chemicals branding, but with the ATO logo painted over.  However, I note that you refer to these as in china clay use.  Does that mean that these debranded wagons worked alongside the 12 in ECC blue livery in the latter years?  

So what livery were these last wagons carrying: ECC blue livery, the debranded ATO wagons or a mix?  A little before my time, but there is always Rule 1.

Hi Dungrange,

The 2 debranded versions in clay use are ex ICI livery and that was painted out on them around 1986. These ran in workings from Cornwall to Aberdeen and Mossend. In some photos the ICI logo appeared very faint through the faded paint patch and grime. It does appear that in later years the ATO branded also made it up there as the last one was still there in 2004.

They were certainly very grimy in the later years.

Hope that helps

thanks

Mark

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, Dungrange said:

Hi there,

No, I think the unbranded ones were used for Crosfield and Inveresk slurry traffic.

cheers

Ben A.

• Informative/Useful 1

Great to see this project hit the tracks (so to speak).

Well done Mark, Colin, Ben and Mike(s)!

Should be very suitable for Oldshaw Mike H?

Edit: here's what we are aiming for on Oldshaw perhaps (if only someone did the vans to go with it.... oh wait!): 

https://flickr.com/photos/142805908@N08/28859568153/in/photolist-jbkasE-2kzAHQo-KYdQag

28859568153_dd798fa054_b.jpg

Guy

Edited by lyneux
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 1

5 minutes ago, mevaman1 said:

Fantastic.  Yet more wagons to recreate the Cornish clay services.  I have been wanting this wagon for many years.  

Perfect for my small clay layout.  Thank you so much all at Rainbow.

E4F809E7-B454-4822-9495-B5EE48BC8D55.jpeg

Thanks Andrew, they will be quite at home on your layout and fit nicely with the Clay tigers in speedlink workings.

Thanks

Mark

4 hours ago, aureol40012 said:

Of all the 15 hours of footage my dad and i shot between 1983 and 1987 it is two clips  featuring these wagons that are amongst my top 5 clips.

40177 here: 

40143 here: 

I enjoyed those enormously, wonderful sights and sounds. Thanks for posting.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

5 hours ago, aureol40012 said:

Of all the 15 hours of footage my dad and i shot between 1983 and 1987 it is two clips  featuring these wagons that are amongst my top 5 clips.

40177 here: 

40143 here: 

I’ve just realised that the ones we filmed are marked BRT as well as ICI. Are these not the exact same wagon as being modelled then? I am more of a loco than a wagon man, so my knowledge is limited!

31 minutes ago, aureol40012 said:

I’ve just realised that the ones we filmed are marked BRT as well as ICI. Are these not the exact same wagon as being modelled then? I am more of a loco than a wagon man, so my knowledge is limited!

BRT is the leasing/ hiring company that owns the wagons. ICI is the hirer.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Ben A said:

Hi there,

No, I think the unbranded ones were used for Crosfield and Inveresk slurry traffic.

cheers

Ben A.

I remember Crosfields as a soap (washing powder) factory in Warrington with an extremely foamy discharge into the river in the days before pollution was taken seriously.  Is that the plant you are talking about - and what would they be using?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, aureol40012 said:

The BRT ones were, I believe, from an earlier batch.

The ones being offered are from the batch built by Standard Wagon in 1977.  The spotting point (other than the number) is the coil-sprung Gloucester pedestal suspension units which were very much a mid 70s innovation I believe.

Photographs suggest that they often ran mixed in with the earlier types, and while some of the earlier ones also made it into china clay traffic I don't think any received ECC livery and branding.

cheers

Ben A.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

34 minutes ago, Michael Hodgson said:

I remember Crosfields as a soap (washing powder) factory in Warrington with an extremely foamy discharge into the river in the days before pollution was taken seriously.  Is that the plant you are talking about - and what would they be using?

Hi Michael, 

Those would be carrying Caustic Soda. This was the same for the ones to Corkicle which got unloaded into road tanks in a siding next to one of the signal boxes for the Marchon works up the hill.

thanks

Mark

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

These look great and i'll be ordering some china clay ones in ECC and the unbranded version. I'm also interested in the chemical traffic to Bridgwater which the Revolution map states as Pan Ocean but were these the ATO version or will it be a livery that may be produced in the future?

Quite a good selection of them in the centre of this https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/icicausticsodatua

Can someone explain the ATO one at Aberdeen in 2004. It doesn't have a hazchem. 

David Ratcliffe writes them up in image.png.453754ac11a93e01053b23f792355e89.png 

and he also mentioned 'Chemical Traffic on South Humberside', Rail Express November 2012, 

Very complicated as some of the china clays return to caustic soda use in 1990 or thereabouts. 

Paul

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1