Chiltern Class 68's withdrawn from service

14 minutes ago, PenrithBeacon said:

What's an ETS.?

He means the BR standard Electric Train Heating (ETH) cable or socket mounting bracket has found to have cracks (I think Class 68 don't have an auxiliary alternator for the ETH supply). Even though the last time I saw an Chiltern Class 68 the data panel gave an ETH index there are some who cannot comprehend that mere mortals are aware that the BR ETH system has evolved to include other electrically based systems without having to rename the system.  If somebody developed a new ETS connectivity system then fine but any vehicles which uses the BR legacy system its 'ETH'. Even Mk5 Sleepers use BR's legacy sockets.

I would have thought that if it's a fatige crack issue they can turn the locos and use the other end, the times I have seen them at Marylebone all the 68's seem to be orientated the same way round.

Edited by Bomag
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Bomag said:

Even though the last time I saw an Chiltern Class 68 the data panel gave an ETH index there are some who cannot comprehend that mere mortals are aware that the BR ETH system has evolved to include other electrically based systems without having to rename the system.  If somebody developed a new ETS connectivity system then fine but any vehicles which uses the BR legacy system its 'ETH'. Even Mk5 Sleepers use BR's legacy sockets.

I would have thought that if it's a fatige crack issue they can turn the locos and use the other end, the times I have seen them at Marylebone all the 68's seem to be orientated the same way round.

On stock where the system supplies not just heating but air con, battery charging, doors and other auxiliaries, the system is generally referred to as ETS or Electric train Supply, but is still the same standard system.

Perhaps not simply turning the locos is for the same reason the 8xx's were withdrawn for cracks in jacking points which aren't used when running - the socket or cable connection and their mounting brackets are substantial lumps of metal if they fall off at speed

10 hours ago, Bomag said:

He means the BR standard Electric Train Heating (ETH) cable or socket mounting bracket has found to have cracks (I think Class 68 don't have an auxiliary alternator for the ETH supply). Even though the last time I saw an Chiltern Class 68 the data panel gave an ETH index there are some who cannot comprehend that mere mortals are aware that the BR ETH system has evolved to include other electrically based systems without having to rename the system.  If somebody developed a new ETS connectivity system then fine but any vehicles which uses the BR legacy system its 'ETH'. Even Mk5 Sleepers use BR's legacy sockets.

ETS is electric train supply, different to ETH, its the brackets to the ETS module underneath that have been found with cracks. 

The reason that the locos are always orientated the same way round is a driver/union agreement to drive from the cab furthest from the rad fans due to noise.

The Nature of the faults mean they cant just turn the locos, plus at the moment they cant move anywhere until a plan has been formulated for their repairs. 

Mark  

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

6 hours ago, Markmiller2008 said:

ETS is electric train supply, different to ETH, its the brackets to the ETS module underneath that have been found with cracks. 

The reason that the locos are always orientated the same way round is a driver/union agreement to drive from the cab furthest from the rad fans due to noise.

The Nature of the faults mean they cant just turn the locos, plus at the moment they cant move anywhere until a plan has been formulated for their repairs. 

Mark  

Am I missing something or how would turning the loco around ever mitigate against cracks on an underslung module?! I'm wondering why the TPE ones are still in traffic if this is a known issue now...

Just now, fiftyfour fiftyfour said:

Am I missing something or how would turning the loco around ever mitigate against cracks on an underslung module?! I'm wondering why the TPE ones are still in traffic if this is a known issue now...

That's my point, it seems an assumption was made that it was the Sockets/Jumpers which its not.

I think the Chiltern ones are from the first batch and such the TPE ones maybe differant, its not affecting any others apart from those. 

2 hours ago, Markmiller2008 said:

That's my point, it seems an assumption was made that it was the Sockets/Jumpers which its not.

The OP was not clear, nor gave a link. If there was a separate alternator then it could have been that, but the Class 68 seams to take the power off the main alternator, in which case if there was cracks on that it would not be considered a train heating system failure.  As I said if it was a connection fatigue issue then, as a temporary solution, you could switch the locos round. Some of our members agreed to do something similar for a couple of weeks to keep a service going, they were given sound meters to ensure that they were still under the daily and weekly exposure levels. 

Presumably there is a similar noise reason why the generators in their DVTs cannot be used and the offending model on the Class 68 temporarily removed.

I think it’s awaiting DRS to make a decision, ultimately they are their locos so Chiltern have taken the safety conscious view of stopping them whilst the issue is resolved. 

That being said 68018 arrived at Wembley LMD earlier to be a rescue loco so that the one loco not affected 68010 can be used again.