Hornby Gresley Buffet Article?

Hi All

I remember seeing some time ago an article showing the changes needed and the conversion of the Hornby LNER Gresley buffet car to be suitible for the last ones in service in Blue/Grey livery, can't remember if it was in the mainstream modelling mags or a Rail Express modeling supplement, If someone remembers this article can you remind me what magazine/issue it was in please?

Ian

1 hour ago, ianwales said:

Hi All

I remember seeing some time ago an article showing the changes needed and the conversion of the Hornby LNER Gresley buffet car to be suitible for the last ones in service in Blue/Grey livery, can't remember if it was in the mainstream modelling mags or a Rail Express modeling supplement, If someone remembers this article can you remind me what magazine/issue it was in please?

Ian

Pretty sure it was Model Rail, but also have a look on the web for Porthcullin articles, I'm pretty sure Olly Turner (?) documented his conversion thereabouts.

Edited by leopardml2341

5 minutes ago, leopardml2341 said:

Pretty sure it was Model Rail, but also have a look on the web for Porthcullin articles, I'm pretty sure Olly Turner (?) documented his conversion thereabouts.

In fact, here you are:

https://highlandmiscellany.com/2015/08/15/dinner-time-a-gresley-buffet-for-portchullin/

• Informative/Useful 1

8 hours ago, sandwich station said:

Hornby did release the Gresley Buffet car in blue and grey but not sure if it differed in any way from the earlier version.

Hi

Thanks for that, I was aware that Hornby had done theirs in blue/grey, but, it is the article I am after as I want to convert the Dapol N Gauge version.

9 hours ago, sandwich station said:

Hornby did release the Gresley Buffet car in blue and grey but not sure if it differed in any way from the earlier version.

It was a straight re-livery so did not accurately reflect the correct period details. Still an attractive model but not 100% correct.

• Agree 2

I'm pretty sure the article was actually in Railway Modeller rather than Model Rail, I seem to recall the RM-style line drawings favoured in many of their conversion articles. Afraid I can't help with an issue no. though, I had a purge of magazines recently.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
27 minutes ago, Ragtag said:

I'm pretty sure the article was actually in Railway Modeller rather than Model Rail, I seem to recall the RM-style line drawings favoured in many of their conversion articles. Afraid I can't help with an issue no. though, I had a purge of magazines recently.

The article in the Modeller involved alterations to the windows and panelling to make it a better representation of the BR rebuilds, rather than just a straight repaint.  Sorry, but I don't know which issue it was in!

3 hours ago, 31A said:

The article in the Modeller involved alterations to the windows and panelling to make it a better representation of the BR rebuilds, rather than just a straight repaint.  Sorry, but I don't know which issue it was in!

Look at the link leopardml2341 posted, it shows the alterations.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, sandwich station said:

Look at the link leopardml2341 posted, it shows the alterations.

Thank you; the fact that there was a following page wasn't obvious to me from the format of the web page!

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

The article I was thinking of was in the "Railway Modeller" July 2005, by Neil Ripley.  It involves altering the kitchen side and the equipment on the roof, similar to the "Highland Miscellany" blog.  It also involves a complete repaint from a teak vehicle as I don't think Hornby had produced it in blue and grey at that point.  It's quite a detailed article (three pages, of which about half is about the real cars) but no drawings.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, 31A said:

The article I was thinking of was in the "Railway Modeller" July 2005, by Neil Ripley.  It involves altering the kitchen side and the equipment on the roof, similar to the "Highland Miscellany" blog.  It also involves a complete repaint from a teak vehicle as I don't think Hornby had produced it in blue and grey at that point.  It's quite a detailed article (three pages, of which about half is about the real cars) but no drawings.

That's the one and, as you say, it did precede the Hornby release

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 22/05/2021 at 17:07, andyman7 said:

It was a straight re-livery so did not accurately reflect the correct period details. Still an attractive model but not 100% correct.

And the first coach with a £50+ RRP, again IIRC £54.95 - quite a shock at the time.

Taking this slightly off topic . In the 1970’s , I took a train from King’s Cross to Leeds ( i think ).  The train had clearly been dragged out as a last minute replacement . My mark 1 carriage was damp , cold and musty . The lights didn’t come on until we reached Stevenage. Eventually I went looking for a coffee and found a Gresley buffet . The ride was definitely superior and it was reasonably warm which may have been down to the heat from the urns . My unreliable memory suggests there was a building plate dated 1914 …. Shurely shim mistake . But the experience was a testament to an era when things were built to last and up to a standard rather than down to a cost .’

• Like 2
  • Agree 1